(Bit late reviewing this ...)
Stayed at the Magdalena for 2 weeks in March 2012 - got an amazing deal through Travel Zoo/Golden Holidays.
Hadn't been to the Carribean before and were unsure what to expect. Fantastic hotel and absolutely amazing staff (the waiting staff and chefs were a delight and nothing was too much trouble. Shirlann - one of the chefs - loved my interest in all things foody and treated us wonderfully).
It seems it's not normal, but we hired a car and spent almost every day taking in a different bit of the beautiful island. It's really hilly and driving can be a little hairy in parts, due to very narrow and twisty roads. But we're used to self drive, so didn't find this an issue.
We had quite a lot of stormy weather and the hotel laid on indoor games, etc. (Tho' having the car meant we could drive to the other side of the island where, more often than not, it was fine.)
My husband found the golf course too expensive (c.£100 once you factor in hire of clubs, buggy etc) which was a shame coz it was usually empty. The hotel itself was also pretty empty but I think that's a reflection on not enough people going to Tabago. Hope the hotel survives but it was incredibly empty when we were there and was a few months into its 'soft' opening!
If you want a beach or chilled-out holiday, I can't think of anywhere better than here. Would definitely come again. And we were grateful for the welcome breeze from being on the Atlantic side of the island.
But, apart from diving or other active persuits, there's very little to do. Most of the artists or bird sanctuaries have closed down (as had quite a few restaurants) and there don't seem to be many local crafts, etc.
Glass bottom boat and drift snorkelling from Buccoo.
Charlotteville which is gorgeous with lovely walks/views - and a nice walk to Pirate Bay, nearby.
Castara which has a safe beach and an outdoor bread oven where you can order homemade pumpkin bread on a Weds and Sat - yum!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The new, 4 Star, Magdalena Grand Beach Resort is located on Tobago Plantations Estate, a 750 acre gated community, and offers 178 Deluxe OceanFront Rooms and 22 One and Two Bedroom Suites. All accommodations are Ocean Front with private balconies. This beachfront resort offers an 18-hole PGA Golf Course, its own Dive Center, Spa, and the largest amount of banquet & meeting space on Tobago. Complimentary wireless internet is available throughout the resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, TravelUp, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly, Hotwire, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vhl Tobago Golf Hotel Lowlands
- Vhl Tobago Golf And Spa Resort
- Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort Tobago/Lowlands