We have just returned from two weeks all inclusive at this resort, having takien advantage of what appeared to be a very reasonable offer, due to the "soft opening" of this resort, formally the Hilton, as other reviews have stated.
It was something of a gamble, as we couldn't find any information/reviews before booking, and we knew that this was a resort very much work in progress.
I am very happy to say that we have had a very relaxing holiday, the staff were very friendly, and the service was excellent, although, again as mentioned in other reviews, somewhat forgetfull at times, but staff are learning their trade, and it caused us more of a giggle than any inconvenience really, having said that, and with more staff arriving and rooms opening in the time we were there, I can foresee problems in future when trying to cope with a full hotel, I think that we may have picked the opportune time to go.
The room was very well furnished, and in good working order, although upgraded in our deal, I think all rooms would be of good quality, with a sea view. Certainly from previous carribean trips, this hotel and room were up there with any we have had previously, and probably the best.
We didn't really want to do anything other than relax, and we certainly did that, if you wanted trips, bars restaurants etc, then you won't find much here, it is a twenty minute walk just to reach the entrance/exit of the hotel, and we didnt notice anything much around the there?
There is a twice dailly shuttle to Pidgeon Point, we are told an excellent beach, were you can also take a boat/snorkel trip if you want.
The entertainment mostly consisted of either a DJ, or just a laptop, with what seemed to be the same music going around on a loop nightly, we knew each one off by heart after a few days! There was live singing a couple of times, but to be honest, the entertainment is very low priority for us.
The beach was a mixed affair, for the first week, it was one of the best we have visited, either side is a reasonable size private beach, to the left, after a while, it joins a public beach, although the sea is indeed rough, it was warm, and good fun, but if not a strong swimmer, you should take care, we saw only a handful of people in the sea during our stay, and very few locals, we did see a dead dog on the beach, that must have got into trouble in the sea, such a shame, and not a good sight for a few days! The second week saw a full Moon, and this had an effect on the sea, along the Plantation along the public beach, there is a lot of fly tipping left on the edge, this was washed into the sea, and along with lots of wood from the plantation, a lot of human debris was washed along the beach, incuding some jagged glass, you had to watch very carefully where you walked, such a shame, as this could be such a lovely beach, not sure if it is the public who do this, it seems a long way for anyone to go to do this, the Government should really stop this. There are no looky looky Men on the beach, a bonus!
The pool is a very good size, and I took a dailly swim, not many used it, partly because there were not many there during our stay, and also, it was a tad chilly, but seemed to warm up during our stay, the swim up bar is in the shade and therefore as there is a constant strong breeze (Trade Winds) we didn't use it, in fact, nobody did.
We have noticed that the price for the same holiday has increased by £1000 each for the same time next year, I am not sure that we would pay this, and feel that perhaps we were fortunate to go when we did, having said that, I would have no problen at all in returning.
If you are going soon, as long as you like to relax, you will have a very good holiday, I will be interested to see the future reviews of this hotel over the next year or so.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The new, 4 Star, Magdalena Grand Beach Resort is located on Tobago Plantations Estate, a 750 acre gated community, and offers 178 Deluxe OceanFront Rooms and 22 One and Two Bedroom Suites. All accommodations are Ocean Front with private balconies. This beachfront resort offers an 18-hole PGA Golf Course, its own Dive Center, Spa, and the largest amount of banquet & meeting space on Tobago. Complimentary wireless internet is available throughout the resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vhl Tobago Golf Hotel Lowlands
- Vhl Tobago Golf And Spa Resort
- Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort Tobago/Lowlands