The Speyside Inn
Blue Haven Hotel(Bacolet Bay)
$131
$183
$176
$99
$70
Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort(Lowlands)(Great Value!)
$286
  • Breakfast included
Acajou Hotel(Grande Riviere)
$141
Travelocity
Mt Plaisir Estate Hotel(Grande Riviere)
$170
  • Beachfront
All reviewsextra diverssound of the wavesthe reefslocal seafoodlocal attractionsgreat divingdive siteslaid backbrain coralfishhotel restaurantcurrentsaccommodationsbalconybirdwatchersislandtobago
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I have been to the Speyside Inn twice now and the staff always makes me feel like family. The manager has dined with me once each trip. Make no mistake. The Speyside Inn is not a 5 star destination resort but more of a simple country inn. Clean, modest and a good value for the money. I have never had a bad meal at the restaurant which I consider one of the best in Speyside.

The dive staff is the best I've seen in the area and the boat and equipment is the best. This is where I'll be going when I return to Speyside.

Room Tip: Get one of the rooms in the main building.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Stephen K
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Vacationed a few weeks ago and stayed at the Speyside Inn. We had wanted to see both sides of Tobago, and mid vacation we left... and came back to the inn the next day....we liked it that much. Our room was very clean and we always had fresh towels and a clean room when we came back from diving. we loved the balcony! Housekeeping was very accommodating if we needed towels or anything. I got sick while there and Tanya made sure that I was well taken care of and told us that if I needed anything to come get her. She gave me crackers and was pretty great. Thankfully I was only sick for one day. The location was very pretty, I didn't swim at the beach there, but went to another one. The price was the best in the area. Suggestions, there was a very sad painting on the wall with a crying person, and we thought something a little happier would have been nice, like a happy turtle or something...we are on vacation. lol. Also, the shower curtain either needs to be moved down a few inches or a longer one purchased. If it were me, i'd take a screwdriver and just move it down a little bit. There was water all over the floor after every shower. If I were housekeeping i probably would have fixed it by now just so I wouldn't have to pick up dirty sopping wet towels. The food was really good at the restaurant. There was a misunderstanding with the cook/waitress on the last day we were there. We wanted one order, she brought two. We sent it back and she refused to look at us or talk to us like a little kid throwing a temper tantrum and started banging plates. It really wasn't a big deal and Tanya handled it great. I'm glad that I got to dive there, and we had a really nice dive boat. The dive instructors were accommodating to requests too which was nice. We had a great time, weather was fabulous, and if there weren't so many other places in the world I haven't been to I would go again....also, maybe we didn't give it a chance, but if you are planning a trip to Tobago and you like peace and quiet....skip the whole other side of the island and just stay in Speyside....I don't know what Tanya makes, but she needs a raise, she runs the whole place and if it wasn't for her...hmmm..not sure if I'd recommend this place as much...cheers!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carm1w
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Tobago is a very nice tropical vacation island. Extremely beautiful with lush green mountains, white beaches and clear water. It is a quiet place and really a place for a holiday. I stayed with friends, but also went to the northern part of the island, where I stayed at the Speyside Inn in Speyside.

The hotel is very well situated just out to the beach; the main road to Charlotteville is between the hotel and the beach, but there is little traffic. The view out to the bay and Little Tobago is fantastic and you wake up to the sound of the waves and the rising of the sun. The room I had was simple and fine with a modern bathroom. The room has a balcony just out to the sea!

Breakfast was included and fine and the personnel tried to secure fast service, which Tobago is not famous for. I always wonder how come so little fruits are served in a tropical country where there should be fruits in abundance. The restaurant is also out to the sea. I did not only stayed at the hotel but drove around, so I did not eat there, but had noticed others advice.

Speyside Inn is for sure a nice hotel in very beautiful surroundings.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Finn T
Reviewed January 13, 2013

. The Speyside Inn is the epitome of backpacker accommodations at a luxury price. Housekeeping left us only one towel when they cleaned the room. There were cobwebs on the ceiling. And while the Inn itself was bad enough, it could not hold a candle to the restaurant.

The restaurant at the Speyside Inn has to be one of the worst restaurants in the world. The food was terrible to the point of being inedible. The prices were extremely high for what we received. The staff was unfriendly, uncaring, and exceedingly slow. They really seemed put out that there were customers at the bar when we arrived.

Tanja and Adrian work very hard to make the dive shop and resort work. They were friendly and went out of their way to make sure we had a good time. The pace they are keeping will assure that they burn out very quickly. They simply cannot make the Speyside Inn work without support from staff which they absolutely do not have.

If we could go back and stay in Speyside again, we would definitely stay and eat at Blue Waters Inn. The prices for both accommodations and food were almost identical to Speyside Inn’s, but Blue Waters staff was a lot more pleasant and the rooms a lot more luxurious. In all, Speyside Inn is nowhere close to a good value for the price even in that very small market.

Room Tip: Go to Blue Waters Inn just down the beach.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DiveTheWorldUnder
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Visited the Speyside Inn 10/2012 This destination is No where close to how it's represented. I've diving for a while and never experienced anything like this even in the most remote diving destinations. The most important thing to me is the diving and it sucks !!! there is nothing to see there literally but spider crabs and lobsters. The diving operation is non existant ~ If you want to carry and set up your own gear, while the diving team takes a cigarette break watching while YOU change out your tanks and reload the boat, make take your surface intervul standing in the baking sun on a cement pier, have nothing to drink on the water - they'll sell you water but they dont provide on the boat. Motel rooms (and i use the term loosely) are dark and dingy and dusty -yet they claim they have had an update, shower curtains are not full length so water leaks all over the place, there is no hot water, air-conditioning in your room work occasionally. They burn the trash daily right by the pool for hours so the smoke drifts over making it impossible to enjoy the pool area. The common dining room area has no fans so airflow nonexistant. The heat and hot weather climate doesn't bother me but this was stifiling. You are served the same menu daily with the exception of dinner where they offer fish. Given all this I would have considered it ok if the diving had been any good but its NOT. If all these things appeal to you then this the spot you should visit ~ good luck!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo