“Enjoyed Every Minuite To The Fullest”
Review of Manta Lodge

and 1 more site!
Manta Lodge
Ranked #3 of 5 Speyside B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 11, 2009

I arrived at Manta Lodge in Tobago on the 27th of February 2009 i stayed for that weekend until Sunday 1st 2009. During my stay I encountered very friendly helpful individuals that i can safely put into my Kin. It was my first time diving and doing the PADI certificate and i got nothing but complete professionalism from each member of the diving staff I can safely put my life in the hands of them anytime. The rooms were spotless they did not smell of smoke and the Air Conditioning worked great i truly loved the local feel to it . After being there for a day it seemed that everyone joined a big family and we had great fun together both the staff and the guests. If you are into diving well you probably know that Speyside in Tobago is one of the best diving spots in the world, that brings into the location of the Hotel it is so close to the diving that it made the journey quick and enjoyable with little time spend traveling. I personally would not stay anywhere else I am continuing my PADI course to advanced and i know that I will not come back to any other hotel or any other dive school. I am a student at MLIS Maple Leaf International School and as you know we students are not very well off but i found that the rate i was given was extremely reasonable and i will like to thank Vidia, Sean and all the members of the Manta Lodge staff and dive team for making my weekend one of the most memorable experiences in my life.

Reviewed March 5, 2009

We have just returned from a two centre dive holiday in Tobago. The first week was great, staying at the Toucan Inn and Bonkers at Crown Point (see review) For the second part of our holiday we booked the Manta Lodge in Speyside.
The location is very beautiful, however thats the only good thing I can say about this resort. I read a few bad rviews on Tripadvisor, but also some good ones so I thought we would be ok. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We have travelled extensively throughtout the Caribbean and are used to tired look of resorts, we are also used to staying in basic dive lodges, but this place took the biscuit.
The doors on to the veranda did not shut and blew open when the wind blew. The sink and surrounding tiles were cracked and the taps and shower head were filthy.
The floor was dirty and there was even broken glass by the bed. The sheets were stained covered in bits of, well i'm not sure, and smelt as if somone had just got out of the bed, certainly not fresh. Every courner of the room was filthy, ground in dirt.
It was an effort for the staff to serve us a beer, and a smile was out of the question. We stayed one night, and I slept in my clothes and then phoned the Toucan Inn and they arranged for us to go back there for the remaining days of our holiday. I was dissappointed that we didn't get to dive in Speyside but I wasn't prepared to put up with that filth on holiday. Please take not of the bad reviews, they are true, see my photos to prove to prove the point.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pinkdiver08
Reviewed February 22, 2009

I spent 5 days in Manta Lodge and diving with Tobago Dive Experience, that is located on the hotel but managed as an independente business. It´s a familly owned business, and you are treated as a new member of the familly. Sean, the dive shop owner, is a character, with many stories to tell, and his father is always around. Food is really great and staff is very friendly. The diving stories around a drink at the eel bar are something not to be missed!!

Reviewed February 19, 2009

was here 14 years ago and just went again. hasn't changed a bit. as laid back and away from the world as you can imagine. you know those beer ads where all you see is some tropical beach and a hand drinking beer. it's like that. take it all down to zero. diving is great. sean and the whole robinson family are as laid back as speyside is. the food is good (also walk down the road to jemma's for a great meal). romantic, sure. friendly, that all depends on you and whether you want to talk to other guests. isolated... this is why robinson crusoe was set here. peaceful, for sure. life in the tropics. paradise for some, I'm sure nightmare for others. you want a four star resort, this ain't it. divers paradise.

Reviewed December 16, 2008

Stayed here with my wife for 2 nights.

Hotel location is good, at a nice bay. Taxi drive from the boat takes about an hour, from the airport 15 min. more. The hotel can help with reasonably priced transport as they did with us. Rooms were pretty clean and had airco, no tv. The sound of the waves breaking at the beach was relaxing. The pool was clean. Food was good, not lots of choice but great service by the staff or the manager himself, Clyde , a very nice guy. Diving in speyside is even for experienced divers a pleasure. Did 4 dives in 2 days and saw lots of turtles, rays and a couple of nurse sharks. Great Hotel for a romantic or quiet getaway or for nature lovers/divers. Probably not if you're looking for excitement and lots of activities. Be sure to bring some mosquito spray!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank goose737
Reviewed November 20, 2008

We had a three stage Honeymoon, on week in the Guyanese Jungle, one week in the Manta Lodge and one week in Barbados.

Manta Lodge was the highlight of the whole lot and we both loved it!

Spayside is not the party capital of the Caribbean (that’s why we went to Barbados) but for us it was perfect. The setting is an idyllic and beautiful hotel, with clean, pretty and air-conditioned rooms overlooking the bay with Goat Island and Ian Flemings old house in the middle of it (very James Bond!).

The whole week involved waking up to an excellent breakfast immediately going for a 2 tank dive on the some of the best reefs we have ever seen! And we have seen a few with over 2000 dives under our belt.

The dive team was professional and great fun, accommodating our every whim, including a night dive on short request. The equipment was in good condition and well maintained.

Diving finished it was back to the hotel for a great lunch then gently lazing around, sun bathing by the pool, reading or wondering down the beach until dinner. The food was spectacular! I thoroughly recommend that you strike a good relationship with the Chef because he took VIP care of us with food that surpassed a 5* hotel! We did go out to dinner to the other hotels and into Spayside and had to come to conclusion that we were eating at the best place in town.

Then in the evening it was great to sit around the bar with the staff and guests telling big fish stories and how we would all love to buy Ian Flemings house (reportedly bought by the government for £3m!!)

Clyde was our fantastic and ever present host and we hope that we can swing by the Manta Lodge again sometime. In the end we were very sad to leave.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Archangelscuba
Reviewed November 15, 2008

We stayed at Manta Lodge for a week; 11 dives with experienced divemasters and captain; all dive sites were within 10 minutes of the hotel. Silton, the captain, Arthur the divemaster and Kester, our guide, are experienced, patient and fun. Japanese Gardens, Bookends, Goat Island Dream, Coral Garden, Cathedral, Angel Reef and John Rock were among our dives. We arranged for Nitrox to be brought in from Scarborough. The dive shop is well organized and responsive to a range of diving skills.
Eddie Baynes, the chef at the Manta Lodge, is creative - we had excellent barracuda with a coconut sauce one night, and the fresh vegetables were delectable. The rooms are very comfortable. The other guests and staff made our visit memorable. The lodge is across the street from the beach, and within easy walking distance of Jemma's, a renowned restaurant. A morning field trip with a naturalist to the rain forest was well worth it. This is an ideal spot for travelers who wish a quiet, relaxing but well appointed holiday. We found the prices quite reasonable.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Speyside
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine
Half Moon Blue Hotel
Half Moon Blue Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bacolet Bay

Been to Manta Lodge? Share your experiences!