“Totally relaxing - accomodation OK”
Review of Manta Lodge

and 1 more site!
Manta Lodge
Ranked #3 of 5 Speyside B&B and Inns
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Totally relaxing - accomodation OK”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We were staying in Tobago for 2 weeks in the Crown Point area but I booked 2 nights at The Manta for us so that my husband could experience the diving up in Speyside. The Lodge, as mentioned in previous reviews. is old and suffering from the extremes of the Caribbean climate but the rooms are clean. comfortable and air-conditioned.

Food was OK, staff are friendly, pool area is a bit ropey, but I was the only person using it so it was totally relaxing. What brings people to stay at Manta is pre-dominantly the diving and I have it on the authority of my husband that this was fantastic. This rating is being given for the property not the diving.

The location is amazing and suprisingly quiet even though you are on the main road. I went out and about on my own, going over to little Tobago, I am really pleased that we stayed and saw this side of the island as it is beautiful and in complete contrast to the South.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Tobago is a beautiful little island, and the diving right by Manta Lodge is terrific. I needed to unwind from the rush of life and fell into a welcoming family with Sean, his dad, Clyde, (who gave me a lift to the airport, and thanks for the doubles on the way), the lovely Kathleen, and all the staff. The divemaster and crew took care of all the gear, took us to great dive spots, and pointed out lots of interesting sea life. Family style curry dinner was served, along with plenty of rum, which made for great stories and discussion of life, love, and why Tobago is so great. The rooms are very simple and clean. No clock, no TV, no internet.....exactly what I needed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Auburn, CA
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This was our second trip to Tobago for scuba diving. This time, my wife and I wanted to spend some of our time staying in Speyside to experience the dives there. We selected Manta Lodge and Tobago Dive Experience. On our first trip to Tobago, we spent almost all of time in the Crown Point Area and on this trip we wanted to spend more time in Speyside.

The diving was fantastic, and the stay at Manta Lodge very pleasant and relaxing. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, and the food was quite good. The accommodations at Manta Lodge are basic and the Lodge is an older property. That said, it is quite clean and comfortable with daily maid service. Our favorite meal was a dinner of King Mackerel caught that day. Excellent! Free wireless internet is available (in the lobby area). The bar situation is interesting. Someone was usually around to assist us, but if no one is around, you just walked behind the bar, selected a beverage, and wrote down your choice in the spiral notebook.

What made this trip very special for us was diving with Sean Robinson (Tobago Dive Experience has a shop located at Manta Lodge). For several of our dives, my wife and I were the only divers with Sean. Even on busier days, the groups on the boats are small (which we prefer). Sean has made over 25,000 dives and has a wealth of knowledge on Tobago dive sites as well as scuba diving techniques. Sean was always offering pointers on how to improve our diving.

The currents at some Tobago dive sites can be challenging, and divers should be comfortable with drift dives. With Sean, we did negative entries with BC deflated. This type of entry allows a group begin decent immediately and stay together even in stronger currents. The staff at Tobago Dive Experience was very skilled at helping (and tracking) divers during drift dives.

On the dives, Sean was always hunting for sea life to show us, and he was always looking for the animals that are more uncommon. My wife and I have both logged over 500 dives. Many of these have been in the Caribbean. Tobago offers a great opportunity to see things not easily found elsewhere in the Caribbean. On this trip, some of the special sightings were a Whitenose Pipefish, a Tobaccofish, and a couple of Cherubfish (a member of the Angelfish family). Sean was also hunting for a Flameback Angelfish, but we didn't see one of these on this trip; maybe next time. I am an (amateur) underwater photographer and Sean also gave me a few tips on photography including how I should approach Garden Eels for a close up shot. I need more practice at this.

In my opinion, most of the dive sites around Speyside are superior to the Crown Point area. On this trip, Sean also took us to St. Giles island, and the Sisters. Diving the Sisters was arguably the best dive of the entire trip. St. Giles is also interesting above water for its huge colony of nesting Frigate Birds.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dennis M
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Whether you're a diver or not the Manta Lodge is the perfect break. Took a 3-day weekend for myself and finished up my PADI certification with Sean Robinson, local dive guru and someone who I deeply respect. Privileged to have trained with him and his extremely professional staff. Food was fresh from the sea (I know this because I caught it on my surface interval) and prepped/cooked the moment I got back to the lodge. The staff were very friendly and knowing that I could just walk behind the bar and fix up myself was great. Laid back, ultra relaxing, bess vibes, disconnect from the world for a bit kinda place :) Can't wait to head back.

Room Tip: If the room(s) have residents, especially in the gallery area don't stress yourself out - they n...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed May 4, 2013

For a unique get-away experience, take a trip to Speyside,Tobago. The people are very kind and treat you like royalty at the Manta Lodge.
Fresh seafood cooked to order, scuba diving shop and masterdiver on site. Simple island accommodations, so take a break from the business world.
No TV's in the rooms so you can really clear your mind or spend quality time.
Simply excellent!
When you go, Shawn & Kathleen and the staff will treat you well.
Shawn & Kathleen may even sit down and have a beverage with you!!! Great people!!!! Do it!
Check out Tobago Diving its NICE!!!!

• Stayed May 2013
Toronto
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Great spot, right on the beach. Good dive shop, knowledgeable staff. It's an older property but great hospitality and staff. The dive master was flexible and low stress which is why you want or a great experience. Would come again.

• Stayed April 2013
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have stayed at Manta Lodge over a dozen times over the last 10 years. It has become a home from home for my whole family. Where else can you kick off your shoes and become part of the family without the hassle or expense of owning your own villa?
Whether its diving or fishing or cooking your own lobster on the beach you could not ask for a more friendly and unique place to stay. We all love it!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Nigel H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Speyside
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Bacolet Beach Club
Bacolet Beach Club
#1 of 2 in Bacolet Bay
Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts

Been to Manta Lodge? Share your experiences!