“The perfect break”
Review of Manta Lodge

Manta Lodge
Ranked #3 of 5 Speyside B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Whether you're a diver or not the Manta Lodge is the perfect break. Took a 3-day weekend for myself and finished up my PADI certification with Sean Robinson, local dive guru and someone who I deeply respect. Privileged to have trained with him and his extremely professional staff. Food was fresh from the sea (I know this because I caught it on my surface interval) and prepped/cooked the moment I got back to the lodge. The staff were very friendly and knowing that I could just walk behind the bar and fix up myself was great. Laid back, ultra relaxing, bess vibes, disconnect from the world for a bit kinda place :) Can't wait to head back.

Room Tip: If the room(s) have residents, especially in the gallery area don't stress yourself out - they n...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed May 4, 2013

For a unique get-away experience, take a trip to Speyside,Tobago. The people are very kind and treat you like royalty at the Manta Lodge.
Fresh seafood cooked to order, scuba diving shop and masterdiver on site. Simple island accommodations, so take a break from the business world.
No TV's in the rooms so you can really clear your mind or spend quality time.
Simply excellent!
When you go, Shawn & Kathleen and the staff will treat you well.
Shawn & Kathleen may even sit down and have a beverage with you!!! Great people!!!! Do it!
Check out Tobago Diving its NICE!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Great spot, right on the beach. Good dive shop, knowledgeable staff. It's an older property but great hospitality and staff. The dive master was flexible and low stress which is why you want or a great experience. Would come again.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have stayed at Manta Lodge over a dozen times over the last 10 years. It has become a home from home for my whole family. Where else can you kick off your shoes and become part of the family without the hassle or expense of owning your own villa?
Whether its diving or fishing or cooking your own lobster on the beach you could not ask for a more friendly and unique place to stay. We all love it!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Nigel H
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My girlfriend and I showed up sometime in the afternoon at Manta Lodge with no reservations anywhere. We decided to stop and ask if there was any availability. We were instantly befriended by Kathleen who made us feel extremely welcome, and sure enough, showed us a lovely room with a patio looking out into the bay and little tobago island. Everyone was soo nice and accomodating, We even got the local pricing. The bar seemed to be on the honour system and the staff drinks with you and plays guitar. Breakfast was really good and so is dinner. Everything is so casual and relaxing and everything u buy there gets put on a tab, its great not having to break out your wallet at every meal or extra little purchase! One night we were drinking with one of the staff members who helps run the scuba department and I asked if he could take us scuba diving one of the days we were there. "How about tomorrow?" he replied. Well, the next morning we were fitted for scuba gear and taken to the practise pool, and within a few hours were in the atlantic scuba diving for the first time! What an amazing experience, we had so much fun diving little tobago! I can't believe this place got a couple bad reviews lately, dont let it detour you. Sure, the bathroom could use a lil updating, but how much time do you plan on spending on the toilet during your vacay? If you want elegance and extreme fine dining, cut off your arm and go to blue waters, by the way we had a look there, it had a real snobby atmosphere. Manta Lodge really MADE our stay in Speyside and we want to thank everyone again for their hospitality!
-Eric/Maggie

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eric w
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I had a wonderful time in Speyside staying at the Manta Lodge! I travel often for work but rarely for pleasure. Every place I go looks just like a Hilton or a Holiday Inn and I wanted a trip to a place that retained some of its uniqueness. When things fell into place for a short vacation, and I have long wanted to get a taste of Caribbean waters, I was reminded having seen Tobago referenced in the scuba magazines for years. I found Manta Lodge from the internet and called for a reservation. Kathrine took my information and said someone will meet me at the Tobago airport.
Houston’s Bush Intercontinental airport has a flight with United Airlines to Port of Spain, Trinidad and Caribbean Airlines has a variety of connecting flights over to Tobago. The Port of Spain airport is a nice facility and the KFC is open all night. Even though I had to ask people to repeat what they were saying a bit slower so I could understand, I found them to be very friendly and helpful. The only United flight from Houston arrived at 10pm local time (8pm Central time) and I had no issues making my connection to Tobago. Manta Lodge had a car and driver waiting for me which took the stress out of a late night arrival.
An air conditioned room was awaiting me at the Manta Lodge along with a friendly smile. I’m an early riser and found the coffee bar ready with hot water and a choice of instant blends (evidently brewed coffee is rare in the Caribbean, maybe more so here since the Nestle facility that makes and packages instant coffee is in Port of Spain). The view of the sunrise coming over Little Tobago Island from the open air veranda of the Lodge was wonderful. Gentle waves lapped the beach only a few yards away. The sound of angry chachalaca birds could be heard from the trees beyond the surf. Small fishing boats bobbed in Speyside’s crescent bay. Breakfast was eggs any style, toast, fruit and juice.
Sean Robinson was the first to open a dive shop in Tobago many years ago and he teaches scuba diving throughout both islands, Trinidad and Tobago. His boat was ready so we checked out dive gear from the shop adjacent to the Lodge and took a short ride over to the pier. As dive master for our small group, Toolie gave us a choice of world-class dive locations, and we settled on Book Ends for the first dive and Coral Gardens for the second. Coral Gardens boasts the largest brain coral specimen in the Caribbean; a dome about ten feet across in an area 50 feet deep. Between dives we fished and caught several barracuda two to three feet in length. A local fisherman pulled alongside our vessel to regale us about his morning catch of dolphin fish (mahi-mahi). During the dives I saw a small group of large tarpon, many angel fish, a jack knife, a buried stingray, but it was the hawk billed turtle that capped the event! She glided nearby for several minutes and then came to within arm’s length as if I were a long lost travel companion.
The afternoon I planned to relax poolside but could not resist wondering around Speyside. The gentle hills are covered with multicolored houses with bright gardens. Children were racing their bikes as I approached the main street near the pier which is across from the sports stadium (a large grassy area with a covered bleacher). I hiked the well paved road up the hill to the south which looped back to where I started in view of the stadium. Along the beach a group of high school aged boys were playing football (soccer) between the water and the shade trees. Past the Lodge is the remains of a waterwheel brought over from Scotland in the 1840’s to help process the sugar cane. The stone walls are covered with flowering plants which attract hummingbirds and smiles.
Supper at the Lodge promised to be a cultural event of roti (an Indian fried bread, then eaten with seasoned chicken or fish or chicory beans and a fresh salad). Delightful! The guest cook came over from Trinidad for the evening along with his crew. And together with the hotel staff we had a wonderful time. Nothing like I would expect staying at a ‘chain’ hotel, this was a ‘family’ event that I felt fortunate to be a part of.
The trip to the other end of the island over the only ‘highway’ is winding and narrow by US standards. But during the daytime is one of the most beautiful drives I have seen! After sleeping in and a leisurely morning, I said my good-byes to Sean, Kathrine and the staff who all made me feel as though I were family. I hired the same driver who brought me from the airport, Quesi, to show me around the island before I flew home. Flagstaff Hill has an outstanding view of the island end and overlooks Charlottesville, which is a beautiful little village. We turned around to take the road back through Speyside to follow the highway to Roxborough township where the beach is worth a stop to walk along and take a few pictures. The town is pleasant and easy to find a refreshing Coke or Paradise Punch fruit drink from the refrigerator of a local merchant. From there it was a short drive and a nice hike to the Argyle Falls. A multi-tiered set of falls and pools the locals enjoy year around for bathing (swimming) and limin’ (picnicking). I had hoped to stroll around Fort King George in Scarborough but was told a movie was being filmed. So I arrived at the Tobago airport earlier than I wanted to but found a Reliant Coffee Shop (similar to Starbucks) just beyond the terminal area.
I loved my time at the Manta Lodge! I WILL be back as soon as possible. I would rate the overall experience 5 out of 5. The room I would rate a 5, the bed and all the pillows and linen were fresh and comfortable. The folding doors out onto the deck are a classic Caribbean touch. The staff I would rate a 5 because they actually cared about me and everything I needed was anticipated taken care of in a timely manner. The food was excellent. The beer was cold. The facility is a bit old and in need of some things but some of that was to my liking in that it wasn’t a Holiday Inn (no offense intended). I didn’t want to find – nor pay for – a chain hotel on the edge of civilization. I want – and found – a sleepy fishing village with friendly people and some great diving. The manta rays come to this bay in numbers during the late spring and early summer months. So that may be the time I will be returning too.
Phillip Barker
Houston, Texas USA

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Phillip B
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Just spent 5 days diving at Manta Lodge in Speyside.

Considering how tired and stressed most travelers are upon arrival in the Caribbean, you can't ask for a better place to transition from the fast paced frozen north - to laid back Tobago. The staff seems to understand this and made it very easy to relax, slow down and get on Island time (necessary for a proper dive vacation). While not the Four Seasons or Ritz, Manta Lodge has spacious rooms overlooking the Atlantic Ocean with large shuttered patio doors that open up to the steady trade winds and sounds of waves on the beach across the street at night. We found no AC needed, no bugs and a great sleep. The sheets & towels were always fresh & clean.

After the diving we had planned to spend a couple days on Tobago’s west coast but found the accommodations there were small and mostly higher priced. So we drove north and ended up back at the Manta Lodge. And it was so nice to go back. Hat’s off to Owner Sean, his father Clyde & Kat and staff for treating your guests so well!

The Speyside diving has most everything, healthy reefs, hordes of beautiful fish, moray eels & turtles (although did not spot any manta rays late Feb).

Room Tip: If you take the East facing ocean rooms with stutters open,the sunrise is quite strong.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jim B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Speyside
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
#7 of 92 in Tobago
Coco Reef Tobago
Coco Reef Tobago
#1 of 3 in Crown Point

Been to Manta Lodge? Share your experiences!