“Relaxed, friendly & fabulous views”
Review of Manta Lodge

Manta Lodge
Ranked #3 of 5 Speyside B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights to dive & relax, and really enjoyed our stay. The lodge is across the road from the ocean, which made for great breezes, views and wooshing from the waves.

Our room was very clean and comfortable, with a lovely high ceiling, doors opening onto a small balcony overlooking the sea, & air conditioning. We had daily room service with clean towels provided. True, the doors to the balcony are a little warped with a few gaps and perhaps a little insecure - but on the second floor this wasn't a major issue. We locked our bags daily and had no problems with security/theft. True, the room could do with repainting (a bit of flaking paint in the bathroom) and the hotel with a general spruce up - but none of this detracted from our experience.

The staff were friendly, and we really enjoyed the late afternoon drinks & socialising at the bar or pool at the end of the day - easy, relaxed and an opportunity to meet travellers from all over. Sean the owner has many interesting stories to share, and is clearly very committed to diving & the oceans. Kathy was also friendly and helpful, for example ensuring that we had sandwiches ready for our early morning bird-watching trip!

It was also great, as divers, to be able to roll out of bed, wander downstairs for breakfast & then stroll over to the dive shop ready for our lift down to the wharf - it doesn't get much easier than that!

I can't agree with the two damming reviews recently posted, and wonder quite what they were expecting - this is Tobago, not the US or UK. We'd recommend Manta Lodge as a great place for a comfortable, relaxed, laid-back holiday, and as a good base for diving, snorkelling, bird watching or rainforest adventures.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Pandia_67
There are newer reviews for Manta Lodge

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I want to disagree with the 2 reviews from the beginning of Feb. Manta lodge is a small family run hotel. Most people who go there go to dive but my family does not dive. The staff went out of their way to find and book many wonderful hikes and snorkeling experiences for us since we were not divers. Yes there may be a broken chair or 2 but the service more than made up for it.

Room Tip: Stay at the back for better sleep. Large noisy trucks and dogs barking may disturb you if you stay a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank shelvert
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I too was one of the unfortunate few who travelled with Kim C on this trip to Speyside. I have to reiterate and concur on all of her points regarding this unfortunate excuse for a hotel. As was mentioned basic would not have been a problem but the total lack of the basic amenities was. Service was non existent, rooms filthy as described and being attached to my bed by a sharp rusty nail was not a pleasant thought. The disappointment was not only for the fact that I saved a year for this trip which I thought would be a bit of a dream destination but also the responsibility Kim felt at having booked and picked the destination which ruined her celebrations. Avoid at all costs as it will give you a poor view of no doubt a beautiful island.

3  Thank Moira D
katpower, Guest Relations Manager at Manta Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

We really appreciate your feedback and I wish that I would have been made aware of your disappointments from the onset of your holiday (Please see my response to Kim). We have recently been taking steps to improve the overall experience for our guests and have had very positive feedback from our efforts. Your comments are very important and help us in this process.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Having read the latest review, I felt I had to write a review of this property as my experience was the other end of the spectrum.
I travelled with five friends - the purpose of the trip to dive and celebrate my 50th birthday. I was not expecting luxury accommodation and am used to staying in basic diving lodges, but I did expect the room to be clean. The Manta Lodge is absolutely filthy! The beds were made and the towels changed, but the bathroom was not cleaned at all during the week and judging on what we found had not been cleaned prior to our check in. (my friend found a poo in toilet in their room when they first arrived!) There was not one unbroken sun lounger around the pool. There was a rusty nail poking head side out of the wicker head board which we reported but another friend who had a pair of pliers in his dive tool kit came round and removed! when we pulled the bed out there was broken glass under the bed!
Apart from the owners and the owners girlfriend the staff were lazy and we felt as paying guests we were an inconvenience. A couple of days we returned from diving and were told the kitchen was closed, despite the details of the restaurant time stating it was open until 15.00 hours. Kathleen ( an american and ? girlfriend of the ownder ) went to the kitchen herself and made us a sandwich. Service got worse when the owners and Kathleen all left for Trinidad at the end of our stay. We came down to breakfast to find no tables had been laid and the staff ignored our presence until I approached to ask if we could have a coffee cup which we were told to get out of the bar sink! The food was often served cold and not particularly good value for the price.
There were discrepancies in our bills when checking out but were told by Sasha that she was unable to alter the bill as the receptionist was not in that day and the owners away. The "safe" consists of a filing cabinet in the office which you placed a unsealed envelope with your valuables but were allowed to help yourself when needing access! I had concerns re the dive centre too - but will post on another forum!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

"Thank you for taking the time post a review, your feedback is very important to us. We were so happy to be a part of your Birthday Celebration and did our best to make it a memorable occasion. We personally interacted many times during your stay and I wasn't made aware of the initial or ongoing housekeeping issues that you've mentioned. I would have liked the opportunity to make your holiday as enjoyable as possible. I did however know about the nail after chatting with you and was on my way to address the issue personally when one of your travel companions kindly took care of it. I was very grateful for his assistance and was happy to buy him a drink for his efforts. We did enjoy having your group with us, we all had quite a few laughs together and wish that we had been able to make this a better experience for you overall. Your comments are appreciated and concerns have been addressed with our staff."

Reviewed February 8, 2013

We just spent 2 great weeks at Manta Lodge, diving and relaxing with friends. The Lodge is like staying at a private beach house, not an Americanized resort. The owners, staff, divemasters and guests all hang out together creating a friendly atmosphere. Sasha and Elaina prepared food that was reflective of the many different cultures of Tobago and it was plentiful. The dive staff guided us through challenging currents to beautiful dive sites with healthy reefs. There are also many hiking trails available.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Deb R

Thank you so much for your review, it was such a pleasure hosting your group! The "Beach House" reference put a big smile on my face. We hope one day to see you again in your journeys!

Reviewed February 5, 2013

A home away from home.... love the staff and this place it made me feel apart of the manta lodge family.I'll be coming back very soon becauce I just love this place Sean and the wonderful staff they have.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank MollyBrown1
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This place is like a secret gold mine, It isn't the over-the top touristy, crowded, commercialized usual dive destination. It's a place of amazingly untouched natural beauty. The people were so sweet and helpful, both at the hotel and as a female on a walk alone through this beautiful, small village. One week wasn't enough. There is so much to experience .. exceptional and challenging diving that is like no other place I've been, hiking Little Tobago was awesome. I would visit again, definitely . Everyone is like family at the Manta Lodge...alot of fun and laughter ... everything good for the soul.

Room Tip: If the owners "gal"( Kat) is there, any room will be an exceptional room. I had room 10 an...
1  Thank shirley f

Thank you so much for your review. We are so happy that you had such a wonderful vacation and hope to see you again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Speyside
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine

Been to Manta Lodge? Share your experiences!