“Great for couples”
Review of Acajou Hotel

Acajou Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Grande Riviere
Reviewed April 8, 2007

My friend and I planned a getaway after exams. To begin with when we arrived they put us in a cottage with one king sized bed although we requested two. They were in the middle of renovations I assumed since the place looked rather shabby. They also made it known that we had to decide if we wanted dinner since the chef/receptionist/bartender would be leaving by 6 so if we wanted dinner we'd have to say early- No thanks.
Breakfast was included but thats if you consider 3 slices of toast with bread or jam- breakfast. Breakfast is quite expensive at the restaurant but good none the less.
I recommend eating at the Mt. Plaisir estate which is not too far, the food is excellent there as well as the staff.
The cottage was a bit run down as well, with bulbs not working, holes in the mosquito net and giant bugs. Walk with lots of insect repellent. The porch with the hammock was definitely the highlight since in the night you can go out and look at the stars, what a view! I did have the best sleep I've had in a long time, the sunlight in the morning filters through the screens accompanied by the sound of crashing waves. That was good.
It's more of a romantic setting, not great for a girlfriends getaway, it was disappointing.

Stayed: December 2006
2  Thank j0j0bean

Reviewed April 2, 2007

Acajou is a wonderful getaway from the everyday hussle..You are greeted by a friendly staff and the resort itself is charming and very cozy..
The draw backs are it maybe TOO far for those coming form South Trinidad but the scenery is absolutely breath taking and worth the drive...and for those of you who are not the outdoor person this is not for you.
Overall I would say the Acajou Echo Chic Resort is a place where you could relax and get the peace and tranquility of nature.

Stayed: April 2007
Reviewed November 29, 2006

We didn't realize how remote this place is! A 2.5 hour drive from the airport will land you in the tiny town of Grande Riviere. The town has a couple of resorts with restaurants, a great beach, and not much else.

I liked the individual cabins. Ceiling and floor fans kept us cool at night and the bugs mostly away. Beautiful cabins with adequate space for luggage and relaxing. Check-in and housekeeping staff are friendly.

Go to the tourist information building and ask about guided hikes. We had a hike to a waterfall with guide Nicholas, and it was wonderful! It's not advised to do these hikes alone, and I think it's because you could get very lost and there have been reports of tourists being robbed on the trails.

The restaurant experience was strange. Not many of the items on the menu were available. And everything took forever, even though we were usually the only guests. I preferred lunches and dinners next door at Le Grande Almondier.

A big problem is the nearby bar. On weekends, it cranks out loud bass-thumping music until everyone leaves (whenever that is.) We lucked out, it was just after 11pm. But I expect an eco-resort to be serene, not a flashback from a 1990s techno-dance-club. Ugh.

Overall good, but the bar music made me want to be somewhere else.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank TerrySF
Reviewed November 23, 2006

Acajou really is a hidden gem and one of those places I dont really feel I want to write about for selfish reasons - I want to keep it all to myself! There are only 5 wonderful huts in the grounds and they almost feel out of place in rural Grand Riviere they are that... chic! They are private, reasonably sized, but with a fabulous sundeck and hammock. The decor is what makes them so special - muslin drapped 4 poster bed, crisp white sheets and asian inspired accessories. The restaurant wasnt bad, a lovely setting but we recieved quite poor service (we waited 1/2hr to order a drink and over an hour for the food to arrive from ordering) and many of the items were off the menu. However, I must point out we went in low season and the restaurant was full with just one waitress - I think it was possibly an unexpectedly busy night so I would be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and go again.
The staff can help you arrange a hike in the jungle to a great waterfall with a local guide from the conservation group - I thoroughly recommend it.
Ssssh, I have a feeling this place will be booked up for months once people get wind of it.......

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank hammyryder79
Reviewed September 6, 2006

Having stayed one night in the resort, we found the room to be of a very high standard with a very comfortable bed, complete with a much needed mosquito net. The location couldn't have been better being approx 80 M from the crashing waves. The bar and restaurant compliments the style of the rooms well, in keeping with the eco theme of the resort, resulting in a very relaxed environment far from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

Whilst the food wasn't cheap, it was of a reasonably high standard, served by the very friendly and professional Miranda.

As the resort only has 5 beach hut style rooms it is a very quiet place and we found ourselves to be the only guests which meant we had excellent service throughout our stay. It should be noted we were there in September which is the quietest time of year for tourists.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Trinidad in need of some rest and relaxation.

Stayed: September 2006
4  Thank moonlegs
Reviewed February 14, 2006

Warning - this place will steal your heart! Will make you want to stay there forever!
Beautiful! More stylish and elegant than anything else in T&T, while wonderfully understated and modest!
Quiet!!! If most tourist places advertise themselves as "paradise beach" "paradise retreat" - this one should call itself "metaphysical", if only this wasn't too pompous!
The location, the architecture of the bungalows, the interiors, the views - everthing is simply awesome!
The restaurant is great too, parhaps the menu should be more focused on Trinidadian food rather than international cuisine, as the former is parhaps tastier and simply better that the latter :-)
But our dinners there were gourmet experiences, and Annika was an otherworldy waitress :)

A place for those who really, really need to find where the end of the world actually is!

• Stayed: February 2006
8  Thank senorcoconut
Reviewed February 2, 2006

Well, depending on what are you looking for, this could be teh better choice for somebody trying to hide away from the modern life, there is no TV or radio, just the sound of the waves, the birds, the wind and sometimes the rain. It's totally relaxing, the view of the sea from the restaurant and the cottages. The friendly and smiley staff is always there to meet you requirements and the food.. WOW! is very tasty and homey. It's quite far from the capital but it's worth to drive all the way there, you won't be dissapointed. Visit www.acajoutrinidad.com for more info and pictures of what you've been missing! ;). We are foreigner living in Trinidad but everytime we have a chance to go to Acajou... we'll be there!

• Stayed: January 2006
Las Cuevas Beach Lodge
Las Cuevas Beach Lodge
#1 of 1 in Las Cuevas
Hilton Trinidad & Conference Centre

Been to Acajou Hotel? Share your experiences!