“Loved It”
Review of Acajou Hotel

Acajou Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Grande Riviere
Reviewed February 12, 2009

We spent 3 nights at Acajou and had a lovely time. The setting here is exceptionally romantic, exotic, and peaceful. You are surrounded by sea, river, and lowland tropical rainforest. This is a small and intimate resort where we received exceptionally friendly service from the owners and staff.

Grande Riviere is a tiny village tucked away in the most remote part of the island. The northern mountain range descends steeply down to the coast in this part of the island. It is a very green and dramatic landscape - a good place to hike and explore the rain forest.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank codemonkeyNyc

Reviewed January 7, 2009

My husband is from Trinidad, so he booked a 3-day, 2-night stay for us during a trip to see his family in Port of Spain. The week before our scheduled stay, my husband's father died. When I called the resort to ask about postponing our trip, they emailed my husband saying that didn't change anything and they would have to charge us for 1 night even if we postponed the trip. They said it was because several people had called about the room and they had to turn them away because of our booking.

We decided to go despite everything to get a few days to relax, and we were really looking forward to a few days of rest.

We were the only guests there. The only guests.

I can't say for certain that they didn't turn people away because of our reservation, but I suspect we were lied to.

Anyway, we had to leave after less than 24 hours at Acajou.

First, I have never experienced so many mosquitoes in my life. I've been to Trinidad in the winter months (the wet season) before, and there are always mosquitoes. But never ever like there were at Acajou. I think it has to do with all the puddles of standing water and the big pond between the huts and the beach. After a few hours in the outdoor dining room, my arms and legs were covered in bug bites despite the mosquito repellent I was wearing.

Second, the bedding gave my husband severe allergies. We had to sleep in the provided mosquito net, which left my husband red-eyed and sneezing after a night sleeping on the musty bedding. We might have stuck it out, but the food for our 24 hours cost us a whopping $150 because the hotel restaurant was the only place in town we could find open.

I will say that the huts are decorated very nicely and the staff is incredibly nice. I think had we been there during dry season (spring/summer when the turtles are there) it might have been very enjoyable.

As it was, we left after 1 night. We had an absolutely awful experience and they insisted on charging us for 2 nights even though we had to leave after 1. If we didn't have a place to stay in Port of Spain, I don't know what we would have done.

I'm sure it's lovely when the turtles are there, but going to Acajou in January was a huge disaster.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank sighandrise
Reviewed December 28, 2008

Absolutely amazing! We were looking for a quiet spot away from the rest of the world. We got this and more. Out of all the places we've traveled to and places we've stayed, Acajou and her staff will forever hold a special place in our hearts.

The food. The music. The knowledge we gained, and the friends we left with. Nothing can ever replace the 7 days we spent in this place of paradise. It was truly a getaway from the rest of the world.

The rooms are beautiful, the staff is wonderful, and the experience of hiking through the rainforest with Shaun(hotel staff, and coolest guy you'll ever meet), learning to surf, and "limeN" the week away, only added to the time we spent at this special place.

Malin(the owner) has truly put so much thought in the experience that she wants Acajou to give her guests. And just as much thought in the staff that surrounds her.

I can't say enough. Once you get past the drive to the place...get ready for pure relaxation!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Justforgettheworld
Reviewed October 11, 2008

My wife and I stayed at Acajou for three nights in June 2008. It was an amazing experience!!! We had the hotel arrange an airport transfer for 100 USD. This was a great value because Grand Riviere is more than 2 hours away. We arrived late at night, tired and hungry. When we got into our cabin the hotel had two sandwiches and drinks made for us. (The driver called the hotel to tell them we were hungry.) The next morning we woke up to the wonderful sound of tropical birds. We went to their open-aired restaurant and had a delicious breakfast with homemade bread and fresh juice.

The hotel helped us arrange to see the leather back turtles at night. This was an amazing experience. The next morning we got up early and went out to the beach where we were able to take pictures of a few remaining turtles on the beach.

The food at Acajou is amazing. Sherie-Anne (sp?) made the best shrimp my wife and I ever had. Their fish was fresh and very well prepared. Her eggs and bake n shark were great as well.

Two local guys that were friends with Acajou's owners took us (for free) on a hike through the jungle. They showed us some plants that were unusual to us and they climbed up trees and picked fruits to eat. They found coco pods and sugarcane and even pointed out a toucan to us. This was an amazing experience.

The last night we were there, it was the hotel managers birthday and they had a party for her. They invited us to the party and we had some of the best BBQ we have ever had.

We saw other hotels in town and they were no where near as nice as this hotel. Acajou's rooms are beautiful, the setting is amazing and everyone is nice.

The only downside, the french doors on the back side of the cabin don't have sufficient shades for privacy. So my wife and I simply hung the extra blanket over the glass.

We did see a couple of small lizards on the ceiling of our cabin. Also, since this is located between a beach and a jungle, some bugs might be able to get into the cabin. This didn't bother us, but if it bothers you, you might want to reconsider staying in such a remote location.

I would strongly recommend staying here. It was an amazing experience.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Seattle1234
Reviewed October 1, 2008

For nature and beach lovers, the village of Grande Riviere on the Northern coast of Trinidad is an ideal destination. Wandering through the bush, stumbling on magnificent waterfalls, and enjoying the shade of some colossal almond tree on the beach are only a few of the delights the place has to offer.

I recommend staying at Acajou. The hotel comprises five separate little cottages that are comfortable and tastefully decorated. The gardens are well kept and its various fragrant trees attract flocks of colorful birds. The owners and the staff are very friendly and helpful and the food is absolutely delicious. The view of the bay from the dining area at sunset is breath taking.

I thought Acajou was the perfect retreat after peaceful beach days and adventurous walks through the jungle.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tamara R
Reviewed August 23, 2008

We went to Acajoiu as a group - however as soon as i arrived i realised this was just a perfect place to get away from it all and just chill out with your other half.

Interiors/exteriors are a breath of fresh air - hammock, four poster beds, your own hut, your own privacy!

I cant wait to go back.

I would however say that the beauty of this place is that it is away from all the hussle and bussle - the down side is... go full board. There are no shops nearby and its a bit of a trek to to other stuff.

In short, if you want time for just the two of you - this place is perfect.

If you wanna go out, drinking, letting off steam etc - go elsewhere!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 6, 2008

Acajou Trinidad is located in the tiny village of Grande Riviere on the northern coast of Trinidad.

The main reason to come to Grande Riviere is to watch the leatherback turtles laying their eggs, and the baby turtles hatching. The community has a special program to protech the eggs from predators and they conduct tours to see the turtles every night on the beach.

The village has several hotels which we considered upon arrival and found Acajou to be the best suited for our needs. The location is stunning and private. The huts are located near the river edge where it pours into the Grande Riviere bay. You are within 4 minute walk to the river and the beach.

The huts are elegantly but tastefully furnished and very comfortable. Other than the location and the beauty of the place, we found the restaurant to be the biggest drawing point. We had several meals which were truly excellent there. The menu was designed by a Swedish Chef to utilize local ingredients and the blend of tastes and influences is beautifuly executed. Make sure to let the kitchen know if you are not a lover of spicy foods as some of the condiments can be hot.

After staying in several hotels in Trinidad, we can easily say Acajou is our favorite and we will be coming back in the following years.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Claxton Bay
Las Cuevas Beach Lodge
Las Cuevas Beach Lodge
#1 of 1 in Las Cuevas

Been to Acajou Hotel? Share your experiences!