“Great experience!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Bacolet Bay B&B and Inns
Halifax, NS
“Great experience!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2010

Hello there, this is my first review on TripAdvisor where my fiance and I had a wonderful and memorable vacation while staying at Bacolet. I don't travel often, and when I do I try to save my pennies, but I took a chance on this hotel based on the other favourable reviews found here.

And my review here is also indeed favourable. The lobby and the view from it will take your breath away, our room was excellent, the infinity pool is suitably awe-inspiring, and the private beach is a big plus if you're there during peak season (when other beaches could be more crowded).

Its hard though for me to fairly rate my experience here as we got bumped up to the best suite on the compound (the Superior Penthouse Deluxe) which is ridiculously large and luxuriously decorated and furnished. The four poster bed is lovely, and you can take in almost the entire balcony view from it. The view here was superb too, offering up lovely blue horizons and romantic sunsets. All passing cruise ships can be seen from this vantage point.

The private beach is pretty good, and extends quite a ways out before it gets deep. Its also several feet below the actually the hotel (about 70-80 steps down I think), so you'd want to remember that if you have bad knees. At night the unique lighting fixtures add to the ambiance, some of which function as chairs!

Staff is ever present and always on the move during the day. A mobile serving staff member can take your drink orders from the beach or the pool area (I can't say if any or how much service tax is then charged). Beds were turned down every day (they're changed if you request it I believe), the bathroom and mini-fridge were always fully stocked (though if you knew the local prices of those drinks you'd probably want to do a beer run yourself), and the desk clerks were always pleasant and helpful in all situations. I should mention that the cleaning staff also neatly folded our strewn about clothing (which was really nice) and nothing was removed from our room.

As Bacolet is right next to the capital (Scarborough), it was quite easy to drive off the ferry and find our destination. There would be a little bit of driving from the airport in Crown Point though, which might turn into a large bill via taxi. And the majority of tourist-y things are near the airport, so you may find yourself driving that distance often to see all that Tobago has to offer (car renting is recommended!). We felt reasonably safe there throughout our visit - the door entry systems all used keycards and the gates are locked at 11pm (which I always recommend to folks is the best time to be indoors here).

Now then, the caveats. As we were in the one super room serendipitously, its more than likely that you'd end up the other rooms which would be roughly half the width, and would have smaller bathrooms with one shower head as opposed to the two in the Deluxe. While we didn't get a chance to see the other rooms, its possible that the space in them may be dominated by the bed.

While we were there there was no all-inclusive package offered. This together with the higher than normal rates (in comparison to other international destinations) had us a little confused, but they are comparable to other high-end resorts on the island. We weren't very impressed with the lunch menu (or the prices) at the restaurant but your mileage may vary. And there is a bar near the beach, but its halfway up that flight of stairs.

So all in all, it was a wonderful experience. I'd definitely recommend this hotel and would consider staying here again. The pictures we took have jaw-dropped everyone we've shown them to.

PS - Ask about the Locals discount i.e. if a Trinidadian/Tobagonian books for you, you may get a reasonable discount in the off season!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HaliChris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Finnish first
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2010

This our first visit to Tobago and we were pleasantly surprised by our stay at Bacolet Beach Club. We were met at the airport by a first class taxi service that quickly delivered us to our resort. The staff was very knowledgeable about the entire island and was very attentive to our needs. The resort is very quiet as is the entire island. What a great place to relax without the hustle and bustle of big resorts. You'll find nothing like that in Tobago. If you go, take the opportunity to travel around the entire island by tours or renting a car. Some say it is dangerous, but we had no problems whatsoever. We rented a car for four days and traveled to all of the beaches for swimming and snorkeling. A busy beach is one with ten people on it. The snorkeling is awesome particularly at Arnos Vale and Englishmans along with Speyside (little tobago)
The beach at Bacolet is very private and a great place to swim with all sand bottom and fun waves to play in.
Try all of the various food offered. Eating out is fairly expensive, but worth it for the great tastes. Liquor is also expensive.
We have been to many beach vacation spots and this place ranks right up there at the top of our list. If you are looking to be pampered and to have people help you with all of your needs, this might not be the place for you. It is however an exciting place for those who like an adventure each day if they choose. Go here, relax and have fun!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jerry034
South England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2010

My husband and I spent 10 nights here and were not disappointed.. We were upgraded to a superior penthouse on arrival and the room was just lovely.. nice big four poster bed, great TV and Music system, the bathroom was fantastic! A shower big enough for a small party and everything so clean and modern. The breakfast was fresh and tasty- a really nice touch to have a basket of toast delivered to the table as well as fruit juice. the rest is self service so have as much as you like! Staff always helpful whereever they were. We will be back for sure!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CNason
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2010

My husband, daughter and I just returned from a holiday of five days in Trinidad and three days in Tobago. Several years ago we lived in Trinidad where my husband was on an assignment with a Canadian engineering company. We revisited T&T as a "trip down memory lane." Le Bacolet Beach Club (LBBC) was a pleasant contrast to the urban, traffic-laden atmosphere of Port of Spain. LBBC was a quiet haven with a lovely inspiration pool and a small sandy beach with leafy trees providing shade. Interesting rocky areas with lots of small crabs marked the sides of the little bay. The beach was accessed by walking almost 70 steep steps on the Treadmill Stairway and would be a hazard to elderly or even mildly disabled guests. I would not recommend this hotel for older people or children due to the steps and lack of a life guard at the pool and beach.

The Havana Bar and Restaurant offered a small menu of good food and attentive service. There was only one other restaurant at the Blue Haven Hotel down the road, which looked drab and uninspiring. If we had stayed longer, we would have hired a taxi and tried other restaurants in Scarborough. The buffet breakfast was fine but the same each day with hot and cold standard items. The coffee was excellent.

In regard to our rooms they were clean with nice balconies and we enjoyed the wireless internet. However, our room #16 had several problems: three yellow-black water damage stains on the ceiling near the balcony doors; bathroom sink faucet that was detached from the vanity; non-functioning electrical outlet for hair drying and shaving in the bathroom. Neither rooms 16 or 15, our daughter's room, had hot water consistently in the showers. Room 15 had hot water only on the last day of our stay. The front-desk clerk was pleasant but seemed not to know how to handle our concerns. When we asked about moving to other rooms initially, the manager informed us that the hotel was fully booked. Regarding the stains on the ceiling being spot-painted, the manager hesitated until I said that if she provided a can of paint and brush we would do the task ourselves. The manager sent someone to paint the spots. The staff at BBC responded as best they could. We really appreciated Arnold's helpfulness, in particular. Unfortunately, he could not fix the electrical outlet problem which seemed to have existed for some time. We had the sense that if no one complained, nothing would be done in order to keep the rooms fully occupied. Perhaps there will be time in the rainy season to fully repair problems in the twenty guest rooms.

The LBBC was built in 2007 but seems to need constant repair and risks becoming shabby. The hotel owner's vision may have been a five-star boutique hotel but this would have required top-quality materials to begin with (not plastic doors for the bathroom, missing soap holders in shower stalls, inadequate electrical wiring, half-inch spaces under the front doors of rooms, flimsy curtains). Overall we enjoyed our visit to Tobago but would look for another hotel, should we return one day for a visit. The island and hotel location, tropical weather, friendly people and staff at BBC made it an enjoyable destination.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Travelbuff1912
Maldives
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2010

Our first impressions of the Bacolet (pron. Backolet) were fantastic - just as it looks on the web pages. We were greeted warmly by Rachel (a Tobagonian) and shown to our Superior Penthouse room - which was fabulous. As we were there for my 40th the hotel had laid on champers and a fruit plate for me, the room was strewn with flowers and the view was amazing. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in - the girls kept the room nice and tidy - but they didn't seem to clean it - a puddle of beer stayed on the balcony for the duration of our stay - but who cares!

Our bathroom was fab - HUGE shower.. plenty of fluffy towells, plenty of little bottles of stuff and soap also a hairdryer. We had robes and a CD/Radio & iPod docking station + 32 inch flat screen TV. Lovely furniture on the balcony and very effective air con. There was loads of storage, a good sized safe and tea and coffee + mini bar. I was brought a iron and ironing board within minutes of phoning down for one.

The hotel is beautiful - i love the eclectic mix of the faux antique, the genuine antique and the modern. The pool is SO welcome after a hard day seeing the sights of Tobago and you're allowed to swim in it at night without being harrassed by hotel staff!

The beach is down a few steps - nothing arduous, and yes it's the Atlantic ocean not the Carribean sea, so it's a more challenging swim - however, we were there during the full moon and this will always make for bigger tides and waves, We spent an amazing night on the beach, made a fire and had a picnic - not something you could do at the likes of Coco Reef.

My thanks go particularly to Rachel on reception for her warm welcome, Karen in the restaurant who is a lovely lovely girl and makes you feel as if you really are her favourite customers, and Sari who sorted out our problems with our bill at the end of our stay with a calm and extremely helpful approach - despite the mad mexican she was dealing with at the same time..... also our little Bristolian friend who's name I didn't get - Thank you girls.

Yes there are things which could be better - and the only one I am concerned with is the restaurant prices. The food is good, the breakfast was lovely The staff were mainly not local - Karen is Tobagonian and was lovely and there was another little Finnish girl who was also a real sweetie, but Brooks was decidedly cool and didn't like being asked to return my steak to the kitchen because it hadn't been cooked correctly, and then treated me with distain each time I visited the bar for ice. The young arabic chap was ok and the little fella who's name I didn't get was far too quick to clear our plates - it felt like a fast food joint.

Our patio doors didn't lock but we weren't concerned about this as we had a safe, there was the odd whiff of drains, but we were in the Carribean during a drought, and there were a few snagging bits in the room - but I haven't stayed anywhere prettier in the Carribean and was delighted with the rooms and the hotel.

If you're thinking of staying here I would recommend two things; upgrade your room to the superior penthouse and don't use the hotel restaurant/bar unless your made of money! ( 3 courses for 2 + 2 bottles Wolfblass Shiraz = £210.. I kid you not!)

Thanks all at the Bacolet and we hope to see you again in Oct/Nov.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SaraLB70
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2010

We first stayed at Half Moon Blue in 2006 and witnessed the first clearance of ground for Bacolet Beach to be built. As we enjoyed the ambiance and simplicity of Half Moon Blue we very much looked forward to our visit to Bacolet Beach Club which is strongly marketed as a luxury boutique hotel with a high level of personal service. This could not be further from the truth and this is the key problem. Our expectations were elevated by the service we received in the past and by the prominent website invitations and beautiful pictures.

The frustrations are:

The first room (no.25) we were allocated was a very basic room adjoining reception and the balcony overlooked the reception steps and a noisy aircon unit. We were told the hotel was full but an alternative room (no.21) would be available the next day and for the rest of our stay. This room was acceptable with a reasonable view and private balcony but in no way was it luxurious. The patio doors did not lock, the main curtains were voile and did not stop the morning sunlight - there were no curtains on the other bedroom window allowing the outdoor lighting to shine through all night. The shower room was a nightmare with shoelaces for door handles, and broken fittings and we needed to request replacement soap and shampoo. The large bed and the great rattan outside loungers did not make up for these severe inadequacies.

Dogs - because our bedroom window did not shut securely, the many howling dogs woke us up most nights and particularly at daybreak around 530 a.m. Bacolet is a residential area and there are many dog owners with very noisy guard dogs.

The hotel pool and deck area looks fantastic but is totally dysfunctional. There are only a few sunshades, most broken and so small they only shade one person. In heat of 35c shade is essential and there are no trees in this decked rattan wilderness. This area is also windy and the few decent sun umbrellas were not heavy enough and constantly blew over. As a result very few people used this space and headed down to the beach where trees provided natural shade. On complaining to the hotel manager we were informed new umbrellas were on order and should arrive in 3 months!!! Half of the the rattan sun loungers were rigid, upright and uncomfortable - poor forward thinking by management here. There is no bar or food service whatsoever and to get a drink you needed to walk out of the hotel through the car park to the restaurant or way down to the beach (half way up) bar.

The beach and sea looks stunning but is shallow with huge waves constantly so no good for swimming and no snorkelling - all sand.

The beach bar is a joke. It is more a half way up the hill bar and there is no beach service and no pool service. The beach bar is a shack with limited drinks, no happy hour, no food (can order from main restaurant apparently) and a grumpy bartender.

The restaurant served very good expensive food if from a fairly limited menu but more frustrations. Do not expect friendly local service. The staff were perfunctory at best and the happy hour had so many rules to render it very annoying. It only covered house wine, beer and a few spirits - no cocktails. But most annoying of all was that you could order 4 glasses of house wine at hh prices but not a bottle. On complaining about this to the manager I was told that this policy is used to prevent abuse of the system but does the sort of clientele seeking a luxury boutique hotel go in for alcohol abuse? I was deeply offended by this response. All drinks and food are subject to a 10% service charge and 15% taxes even if you go to the bar yourself so watch out here - it is by far the most expensive place to eat and drink on the island.

Tobago is a beautiful island full of lovely local people and we toured the whole island using taxis which we found reasonable. However, do not expect lovely local people at Bacolet Beach which appears to be trying to cultivate a more trendy European air with prices and an edginess to match.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Caribbean
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2010

I took my mom and brother to Tobago for a weekend getaway and this was the hotel we chose. The room was small, but pretty enough and was big enough to accomodate 3 people though it was a tight fit. We paid US$30 extra per night for the extra bed on the floor for my brother. There was no microwave WHICH WOULD HAVE BEEN GREAT and there was a tiny fridge stocked with some snacks and drinks that we did not use.

My problem was the bathroom! The cleaning service NEVER replenished the shampoos, lotions or soaps and they were being used rather quickly since we spent time in the pool. There was no clothes iron in the room and we had to request one and iron on the bed. There was no guide to explain the television channels and no hotel guide to explain the hotel's services, policies and such.

There was a large balcony with a very nice view of the ocean - but I have had better, yet it was nice enough. There is a small private cove here, but it is unsuitable for swimming - too many rocks. Go to Pigeon Point if you want that.

Taxis were RIDICULOUS and obviously they are taking advantage of tourists. We estimated that our driver probably made US$9000 per month with the prices he was charging. I kid you not - at almost TT300 per hour, for 8 hours a day at 6 days a week? Then do the conversion. And you still haven't included tips that he may get! RENT a car - Tobago's roads are pretty good and you should have no problem.

The restaurant is very small and it is best if you make reservations. The menu is limited and the food isn't bad at all. Their mixed drinks aren't fantastic but I suggest that for the prices - have dinner in town. Like I said - not bad, but many of us I suspect have had better.

I will admit that the hotel was quiet and to me that was excellent.

• Stayed February 2010
RENE47, Director of Sales and Marketing at Bacolet Beach Club, responded to this review, February 28, 2010
Dear Mrs Jasmine, thank you for the review. While we do appreciate your feedback we were saddened with your headline announcing that you "will not return". We were naturally also surprised about your poor rating for our hotel since your comments don't seem to back it up. In your posting you wrote that our room was small (living space is 38sqm or 400sqf) but you admit that it was large enough for 3 adults. Thus, the size of the room could not really have been the reason for your disatisfaction. You further wrote that we had no microwave. That is correct but then again we do not advertise having one in the rooms, so it hardly could have been a surprise to you. We do however supply our guests with a microwave upon request. You mention that you had to iron on the bed. That should not have been necessary because we supply our guests with an iron and iron board upon request. Our housekeepers are more than happy to bring it to your room. At last, your comment that our beach is not suitable for swimming comes as a big surprise to us because we have a beautiful, sandy beach. Most of our guests spend almost their enitre days at our bay to swim or snorkel. The rocks you refer to are on the sides of the the ca. 200-250 meter wide Sandy Bay - which is the more than one hundred years old name for our Bay. And our forefathers who came up with this name were spot on - as many pictures of our Bay will prove.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bacolet Bay
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine
Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts

Been to Bacolet Beach Club? Share your experiences!