Bacolet Beach Club
Ranked #1 of 2 Bacolet Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Very well organized, nice room, hard bed which took a bit to get used to, beautiful grounds. Didn't mind the steps down to the beach. The staff were all very helpful and friendly and the restaurant Cafe Havana next door was great - no complaints at all. I would definitely return and recommend Bacolet to others. Wifi signal was intermittent but strongest at the pool, close to the lobby. There was security at the gate as well - always felt safe :) Rented a car for a few days directly from the hotel and it was in very good condition, no concerns.

Room Tip: Booked a room further away from the pool thinking it would be quieter but it was very quiet all over...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Andrea R

Reviewed December 11, 2013

Bacolet Beach was my first experience in the Caribbean and it could not have been more wonderful. I was there with my best mates and every single day was the perfect succession of open air breakfasts on the Cafe Havana veranda (with cheeky local birds sneaking in for crumbs tossed their way), then off to the hotel's private bay for swimming in the ocean and dozing in the sun, then beach bar terrace, then ocean, then bar, then ...

Another point to make is how congenial the guests all were. Every morning there were rounds of 'Morning' and 'Guten Morgen' as we all came to life and laughed and joked about the adventures we had each managed to find the day before. I think we all looked forward to seeing each other in the morning to discover which parts of Tobago we should consider for the day's lazy itinerary.

And the accommodations are simply fantastic. To lie back in a chaise at the end of a full day's adventures, sipping yet another perfect cocktail, gazing out at the tropical vista and having the most pressing decision of the moment be "pool or ocean?" was fantastic.

The staff were a complete joy. One never fails suggestions for a day's adventures when the incomparable staff of Cafe Havana are there to suggest their favorite, hidden spots on the island. Whether it was for breakfast, late lunch, dinner or drinks at the well attended bar, walking into Cafe Havana was like walking into an old friend's villa.

The private bay absolutely cannot be overemphasized. It is the most wonderfully discrete, private cove in all of Tobago. As you lie in your deck chair, positioned just so between the lapping waves and the dappled shade of the almond boughs, and survey the horizon, you are met with the most perfect tropical vista. And if you squint past your perfectly mixed cocktail, across the water you can spy Tobago's sister island Trinidad.

The only cautionary tale I will tell is that if you are a weak swimmer, such as I am, and you see the inter-island Trinidad and Tobago catamaran ferry plying toward a morning's docking in Scarborough … be forewarned, the waves will be metres larger than the typical Bacolet Bay surf. Swim towards shore and watch the action with a lovely cocktail in hand.

If your intention is to decompress from the corporate rigors of Western Europe or North America; if you want to simply melt into each tropical moment, each perfect day as it meets you, then this is the absolute place to find relaxation and calm. I had been back in the manic pace of Chicago corporate life for two weeks before it had hit me that I really wasn't still chest deep in bath water warm Bacolet Bay. I would return in a moment's notice.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank warjaausgezeichnet
Reviewed October 26, 2013

This hotel must have seen better days, however, we were quite satisfied with price and location. The staff was friendly and the room wee okay if not a little tired.
Togago seems to have lost its luster. 5 years ago when I visited everything was new and spanking. No more!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank trucker2000390
Reviewed October 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Bacolet Beach Club for our honeymoon. We arrived in the night and the receptionist was very friendly,as well as the rest of the hotel staff. We stayed in room 12 which gave us a beautiful view of the sunrise, ocean and pool .The room which included air condition, cable TV, hot water, a safe and had a balcony was very clean. The restaurant (Cafe Havana) was very welcoming, had friendly staff and great food. The beach which was a lot of stairs down was very relaxing, there was also a bar by the beach. We really enjoyed our stay. It was well worth the price and we look forward to spending more time there.

Room Tip: Bay Deluxe rooms are better for seeing beach and pool views.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank An K
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The Bacolet Beach club is a great little hotel.
The good points!
We stayed in room 14 which was close to the pool and was probably one of the best rooms. The rooms all have some form of seaview, with some better than others. The hotel is very small so you get to know most people fairly quickly. The beach is excellent and almost exclusive to the hotel, it was never too rough whilst we were there despite being on the Atlantic side of the island. The sea was warm with plenty of shade under the trees along the edge, there were also plenty of sunbeds. The pool is small but really nice and never got crowded it is about 4 feet deep around the edges and 5 foot deep in the middle so very safe even for non swimmers. The wildlife was good around the hotel, pelicans on the beach, hummingbirds in the grounds etc.
The food in the Havana Restaurant is excellent and the chef is worth a mention as he is great as are all the staff in the hotel. It takes thirty seconds to reach the Havana from the hotel reception so is not a problem.
Now for the downsides!
There are sandflies that can bite on the beach, they are so tiny that you can't really see them, it seems some people are bothered by them and others are not, they liked me and my wife.
The restaurant is fairly expensive to eat in with not much else around as competition unless you travel to Scarboro (about a twenty minute walk or 20 TT Dollars in a taxi), even then there is not a great deal of choice.
The rooms are a little tired and in need of a tart up.
I will mention the owner Gloria, who is very friendly and approachable.
There were some people that were in TT for the birdwatching and I can't help but think Gloria is missing an opportunity with this. The breakfast is eaten in the Havana with is open on two sides to the gardens, many birds visited and I can't help thinking that a few bird feeders would make breakfast a stunning event with many hummingbirds (and others), attracted to them. Other parts of the island that we visited had them and the result was fantastic. Even those not really interested in birds would enjoy this I am sure, so if you are reading this Gloria.....
To sum up, a great hotel and holiday.

Room Tip: Room 14 was excellent
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank 1Pompey
Reviewed September 24, 2013

A friend of mine decided to have her wedding in Tobago, so after much searching, review reading and deliberating with my boyfriend (who accompanied me on the trip) we settled on Bacolet Beach Club. When we arrived we were greeted by two (kind of bored looking) persons at the front desk who informed us that our check in time was not for another hour but told us we were free to view the grounds, the beach (which is down many flights of stairs, by the way) and their restaurant (Cafe Havana). Our room ( Bay Deluxe - which is poolside) was clean and basic - bed, bathroom, tv, couple chairs and a little balcony, from which we could see the ocean. The pool is small, but sufficed and the beach is actually not that bad (small, quiet, great for just relaxing). The restaurant was nice - breakfast was more or less the same every day (toast, eggs, sausage, bacon, fruit and pastries), dinner was excellent, my sincere compliments to the chef and the staff at the restaurant who were sweet, helpful and polite. I rather not complain about the hotel not being spectacular, because we knew we weren't paying for a spectacular hotel, just something that was simple and nice enough to accommodate our 3 night stay, and that's what Bacolet provided. I'd recommend this hotel for people who probably don't want to stay in, but have other plans throughout their stay in Tobago (for us, there was not only the wedding, but a reggae concert at Pigeon Point beach as well as other little events around the island at that time). We mostly just came back to sleep and eat. When i return to Tobago for an actual vacation, I may not exactly stay here as a first choice, but I'd definitely come back to Cafe Havana for their excellent food.

Room Tip: Ask for a Bay Deluxe Room that's poolside. They're small but you have closer access to the p...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2013

It's difficult to write this review because we had a lovely holiday at Bacolet Beach Club so it would be easy to say the hotel is brilliant, etc. etc. However, if I try to be objective, then the hotel I think is average.
When we arrived there was no porter and the Receptionist did not bother to point out that there was a sloping access at the side of the hotel which we could have used to wheel our luggage to our room. Consequently, we had to carry our cases down about ten steps.
We had a ground floor room by the pool which was useful for us as it allowed us to keep an eye on grandchildren in the pool. It might not be so good for others who maybe want to be more quiet. The family room used by my daughter consisted of a double bed and small fold up bed for her son. This bed did not have any mosquito netting which is essential as he got bitten quite badly.
After it had rained most of the day and night the ceiling in my daughter's room leaked. She was eventually moved to another room but it took a good deal of persistence and assertiveness before this was agreed. Part of the ceiling subsequently collapsed so it was fortunate she had moved. However, there was no offer of help with the removal of her cases and belongings.
I feel uncomfortable giving a long list of moans as I don't think staff were deliberately unhelpful - I think there is probably a lack of general management and training when communicating with tourists and guests. I found staff generally very helpful but you have to persevere and not be put off by what appears to be a lack of interest when I suspect it's doubt about what to do about the problem presented.
The pool was lovely .. the children loved it and spent ages playing in it. It's small but is clean and welcoming.
The food was great and the staff in the restaurant were especially friendly and welcoming. They remembered us and what we wanted in terms of coffee, etc and responsive to anything special we wanted.
There are long steps to the beach so this is not the place for you if you have difficulties with steps. The beach was small but quiet. The sea is quite choppy but Ok for swimming - the children loved jumping the waves and swimming through them. It's not a 'perfect' beach with sanitised sand .. it's a real beach with some small nuts which fall on it, rocks with tiny crabs running around and leaves which have fallen from the adjacent trees, together with a heron which wanders in during the evening looking for 'tea'! The sun loungers are a bit sandy sometimes but we just brushed off the sand. I loved it but if you like everything tidy then possibly the beach isn't for you. There is also a longer but equally lovely beach a short walk up the hill from the hotel.
I really enjoyed our stay here and I think that more training of the reception staff and larger family rooms, it would be great.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Half Moon Blue Hotel
Half Moon Blue Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bacolet Bay
Coco Reef Resort & Spa Tobago

Been to Bacolet Beach Club? Share your experiences!