“Five star mirage!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Salybia
Playa del Este Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Salybia
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

I took my family here for a night after a lovely hike at the Rio Seco water falls. Playa del Este was the seemingly obvious choice as the other only option is the seriously lame Salibia Nature Resort. The price of the weekend stay together with meals was not bad at all. So I guess you get what you pay for.

Upon arrival we were met by some really nice staff at the front office. That charming atmosphere unfortunately remained right there. The invoice stated that we were supposed to have received a welcome drink. We never got that.

So we were ushered to our room and a bit of warning here. If your luggage is cumbersome and heavy you might want to be careful as the basic rooms are located down a lot of steps. The room we got was disappointing. It was too basic. I was told during the booking process that the room was overlooking the pool area. No such luck. We were literally at the end of the building with a view of the bushes. It was at that point when I looked out behind the drapery that I noticed that the louvers weren't properly closed. There were even missing louvers!! Further inspection of the room revealed cobweb at the ceiling corners. There was a sign on the door stating that the a/c is not to be lowered under 21°c but the setting was permanently set on 27°c. The room was seriously warm as the a/c wasn't working properly at all. When my wife brought it to the attention of the Office staff she was told that the setting would lower automatically eventually. This never happened. Standard hotel regulations were not adhered to as well. There was not any emergency and evacuation information on the door nor was there a smoke detector. I was seriously shocked that this place has been running without these standard procedures. With the missing louvers came in the bugs at night as the bushes was nearby. With all this going on with the room I didn't bother to ask to be relocated as one, there was no phone in the room to call the front office (I can understand why now) and secondly I was so tired that I just didn't feel like running all the way up to the office to complain, especially since it was only one night. Sleeping that night was horrendous!! To add insult to injury we had a bunch of rowdy and loud neighbors. They were cussing and quarreling with each other at all hours of the night. Up to 3am they were at it.

The only reason I didn't pick up my stuff and run out of there was my sleeping kids who were looking forward to the pool the next day. Speaking of which. They have three pools there, all of which were mossy and seriously in need of repairs. The tiles in one of the pools were missing all around. The main pool is a somewhat "river" pool painted green. I can see why they chose that design as the pool floor was very mossy. The third pool is located smack in the dining area and made absolutely no sense. It would be very uneasy soaking in the pool while ppl were dining or having a drink at the bar. That pool too was noticeably in a state of disrepair.

The food was okay. This has to be the only reason why ppl were there still. Heads Up tho. What you eat for lunch will be almost the very same for dinner. Breakfast is strictly local. No eggs, butter or jams were served. The restaurant staff were okay. I didn't experience that friendly ambiance as expressed by other reviewers.

On the up side the grounds are well kept and clean. The lookout area has a really nice view of the sea, which is not safe to bathe at by the way. If you are desirous of a sea bath you would have to walk down the beach to the salibia bay where there are beach facilities and life guards on duty.

In summary, if you're looking for a cheap run down resort with mediocre food and service this is the place to be. Be warned. It's nothing like the pictures or the food they have online.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Mohammed_K_Rahman

Reviewed May 24, 2014

I visited the Playa del Este Resort as a bit of a getaway during the Easter weekend. The hotel seemed to be well priced. However, when I arrived at Playa del Este, I was met with disappointment after disappointment to such as extent that I was happy to return home after the weekend.

When arriving at the room, I was disappointed at the size and the decor. I am not fussy about staying in simple accommodations, but the room was dark and much smaller than appeared in the website photos. There was no phone to call the reception. The TV did not work and although the website advertises as having wireless internet access, this was not available in my room and I had to go to the conference centre to get internet access. There were termites droppings on the floor of the bathroom. The pools looked mossy and I tried to use the jacuzzi one night but one of them was cold and the other was not bubbling. The food was tasty but was ordinary local - baijan choka etc. Nothing like the picture on their website.

Above all the absolute worst part of the trip was extremely loud music from the bar across the road. The music started at about 8 in the morning and one night lasted until about 2 at night!!!! I would've had more peace if I remained at home. The music in my room sounded as if I was playing a radio loudly. The first day, I was able to survive because I spent most of the day out. However, on the second day, I felt like I was going crazy with the constant music in my head. We spoke to the receptionist to try to get us another room. All she said was that they hear the music in all of the rooms but she would try to get another room and would contact us. She never called back. That night I managed to fall asleep but awoke at 2 in the morning only to hear the music was still pounding. I tried to contact the reception or a guard and there was no one around. I decided to walk across the street to ask the bar to reduce the level of the music but could not do so because the emergency exit was locked!!!!!!! Eventually, the music stopped and I was able to go asleep.

Overall, I would stay that it was one of the worst vacations I ever experienced. The hotel staff, I must admit, were very friendly and that was the only major plus for the hotel. However, the value for money is poor and I would've been happier to remain at home. Playa del Este advertises as a sanctuary but it was nothing of the sort. I would recommend Acajou Hotel which is further away but around the same price and much better value for money. I will not be visiting Playa del Este again. I can only hope that they try to improve their services and get something done about the loud music from the bar across the road. It is unfair to have customers pay for that experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank A0uda
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I spent my 10 year wedding anniversary there last week and I was blown away .. really.
Firstly let me say ..Wow... If I ever regretted something in life its that I should have scraped up some more money and paid for more than 1 night..
I love playa del este resort and will be making a booking soon for the whole family this time.

PROS: The place is big enough to just walk around and not realise how much time is passing, The grounds were beautifully landscaped with views of the ocean that make you want to choose here to die lol . the food... my god the food was great... sorry diet.. I couldn't help myself.
The Jacuzzi, perfect for the wife and I, ok, ok, ok so I may have skinny dipped in the Jacuzzi but hey it was after 10pm and the water was so damn warm i couldn't t help myself.
the room was big with an ocean view, private balcony, very small bathroom but it didn't t matter. The hammocks and pool table was what had us going. I love pool , can t play so good but the idea is interesting.
CONS: the pools were a little too small and not private at all ...people are having lunch and we in swim clothes, not very comfortable for anyone. the bar really needs to be upgraded and properly staffed as we waited for close to an hour for the lone girl to come take an order. apparently she was summoned to the kitchen. Wish there was a drinks list with cocktails and such with linx available (don t know if there was). Not mad though just little thirsty lol. WIFI Only in conference room, Only when we were leaving I realised that there was Wi-Fi in the conference room bummer thought I could get some emails out from the room. Well construction was on-going due to a wedding that weekend guess can t stop progress. However the private workmen had my wife a little uncomfortable due to unwanted stares remember we were there to relax and not bother with the outside world during the time spent

Overall I love playa and as stated before will be returning very soon. Glad I didn't t go to the one next door as they don t serve alcoholic beverages not that I m a drunk but sitting back with a cold drink and being able to unwind is always the purpose of a get away.

#1 getaway for me from now onwards. Cheers!!

Room Tip: Get Room 18 !!!!! Its the best .. then again I have only been there once and stayed in this room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brian3671
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

My stay was very nice, the room was clean likewise everywhere else on the compound. the food was good and the people that work there are very friendly! My disappointment was the massage in the spa,It was not done well and the jacuzzi wasn't working. The spa needs improvement hands down.and the wifi only works in the conference room so u can't stay in your room and enjoy. In a case like that they shouldn't say they offer wifi. But overall it was good and I'm lookin forward at going again.hopefully they improve by then!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank curlzlisse
Reviewed April 26, 2014

The getaway was during the Easter week.The booking and checking was smooth and without issue.The staff was very friendly and answered all questions.The room had 2 beds with only 3 pillows, which was a little dissapointing for one that uses a lot of pillows to sleep.The bed was comfortable and relaxing.The AC was strategically located, however it didnt function to full performance.The bathroom was small but clean, had hot water, good pressure and functional.There was a kitchenette with appropriate appliances and plugs.
The balcony was over looking 1 of the 3 pools.The view at the lookout area was amazing.The external courtyard was well kept, and neat.There was lots of walking paths that lead to various scenic views of the compound.
Even though there is a pool, it would be a great idea to have a playground with slides, swings etc for the children.
There is access to the beach to accomadate sea bathing, however due to the rough waters on that day, no bathing took place.
There were 3 pools.the 5feet one was clean and warm, this one catered for the children.The other pool by the dining area was looking unclean.the 3rd pool was deep and catered for adults only.
ONE OF THE PLASTIC SEATINg chairs gave way and almost caused serious injury.The staff was accomadating and quickly sorted the issue out.
The foods were well presented, tasty and had a lot of local variety.The dining area was clean and staff were pleasant.
The resort has a lot going for it and also has plenty potential for being the best in its class.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank baby p
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

Leaving today. The atmosphere here compounded by the friendly staff is second to none in this part of the country . Food is great. The only downside is that because of the topography, it's not child friendly. This however is good, in that you spend the quality time with your kids that they so deserve . Can't wait to be back!!!

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Trinbagonian1
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Friendly staff, great service! We stayed there for 2 nights with the intention of going to the beautiful Rio Seco falls!! Both falls and hotel exceeded our expectations. The food was very good. The view was fabulous.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Chadsingh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salybia
D' Coconut Cove Holiday Beach Resort
Courtyard by Marriott Port of Spain
Radisson Hotel Trinidad
Radisson Hotel Trinidad
#5 of 21 in Port of Spain

Been to Playa del Este Resort? Share your experiences!