Playa del Este Resort
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Salybia
See available hotels
  • Pool
Acajou Hotel(Grande Riviere)
View Hotel
Mt Plaisir Estate Hotel(Grande Riviere)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Beachfront
Palm's Hotel Trinidad(Port of Spain)
Inn Flight Suites(Piarco)
View Hotel
All reviewsan ocean view roombig poollocal dishesmarriage retreathammocksmassagingtrinidadhoneymoonclerk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I stayed at the resort in early March. I took my mom there for her 50th birthday. When I called to make reservations the person on the phone said that a deposit of half the price must be paid. She was helpful in giving me the resort's account number to make the deposit. That went smoothly and I called back to confirm they received it. (Make sure and take the bank receipt with you to the resort.)
We arrived Friday evening and when we arrived we were greeted by a security guard who was friendly and let us eat dinner before escorting us to the room. The staff who served were extremely warm and helpful which my mom appreciated. The food while not something exotic tasted good, and its buffet style so you can't get hungry. Also the resort caters for vegetarians. I purchased an ocean view room which was situated very close to the water, maybe 30 ft. above sea level. The sea breeze was great and the ocean sounds only added to the atmosphere. The room was quite small and the bathroom a bit of a squeeze, but I didn't really mind nor did mom. The room also had its own private balcony. The resort's website advertises a mini kitchen in the deluxe room but all there was was a mini fridge, microwave oven, bar sink,(no utensils included) dresser, built in wardrobe, glass table and chairs, 20inch tv, dvd palyer and queen bed all in one room. Also, I was a little disappointed that there was a coconut tree in the middle of the view. (It blocked about 1/3 of the view). The room was clean and a small safe is provided. The A/C worked well as well as the hot water.
Despite the coconut tree the moon rise was incredible. It starts off orange and big as it comes over the horizon, gets yellow and eventually turns to the normal white.
The queen bed provided was comfortable (there were no single beds provided for the ocean view rooms aka Deluxe Rooms) and we slept well. We got up in time to see the sunrise which was fantastic. I can't remember the meals but the food was consistent in taste from the previous night. I believe the food was of local cuisine, saltfish, coconut bake, egg and sausage etc. I believe curry was lunch and I can't remember dinner. The grounds were well kept and the staff throughout the stay were warm and friendly. There were 2 jacuzzis that i saw, one was out of order while I was told that the hot water wasn't working in the second and the technician had failed to come to fix it.
There are 3 pools, and villas as well if you want to bring the whole family or a group of friends. The fittings in the rooms need a small degree of maintenance. some paint, some of the wood fittings need replacing. I remember part of the wooden shutters by the balcony couldn't open. In the bathroom I think there part of the ceiling was cut out or patched. Either way it wasn't good presentation. When I inquired about the spa the office personnel told me that one had to request spa services in advance. So you can't ask on the day itself so be prepared. Also what I believe is the spa area is a small area about the size of the room I stayed in which consists of a massage table and a massaging and a couple pieces of furniture that I can't remember off hand. It was open for all to pass through which I thought shouldn't be so as children can interfere. There was a level close to the sea which looked like a shed with hammocks and cushioned benches. Here is very relaxing and you can fall asleep there but I recommend you walk with your pillow if you use the hammocks.
All in all it was a good stay maybe a little pricey but mom certainly enjoyed it. We didn't go down to the beach but i believe it is full of seaweed, however there are beaches and rivers that one can go such as salybia beach/river, matura beach, balandra bay, valencia river, etc which are more people friendly.
Next time though I will take the slightly cheaper rooms where the balcony/walkway to access your room is shared with the 2 or 3 other rooms. It is a little further away from the sea but the view is unobstructed. I would also like to go with a large group to stay in the villas and experience that.
Also I almost forgot to mention that housekeeping is provided. Clean towels are also changed daily. The view is of the Atlantic Ocean. A gym is also advertised but I only saw three gym equipment on the southern end of the compound and because they are in a gazebo the equipment is rusted so I wouldn't recommend it being used. I didn't go there to work out so that didn't bother me.
Hope next time that the jacuzzis are working with hot water

4  Thank deryk n
Reviewed April 8, 2013

One of the best features about this resort is the friendliness of the staff and their willingness to serve. The location is wonderful for those interested in relaxation and fresh sea breeze. Unfortunately, the beach was rough and full of seaweeds on this occasion. However the grounds of the resort are extensive and well kept. The hammocks are a great idea, although the steps to get to them are a challenge as they are very steep.
Sorry to say there is no gym, just some machines that looked a bit rusty and abandoned in an outdoor area. Although the management made efforts to cater to people with special dietary needs, overall the food was a disappointment. There was little or no variety in the meals, few options to choose from, and no fruit, not even at breakfast. They were also a bit stingy with the portion sizes.
The AC worked well and the room was clean and equipped with a mini refrigerator and microwave. However, the bathroom was so small that it was a great inconvenience to use.
There is evidence that new construction is taking place, so perhaps there will be improvements soon.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank juliet7777
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed at Playa de Este on 31 March 2013, started off with high expectations based on feedback from friends and the initial view of the property. The location and layout was very inviting. It started going down hill from there, the room was tiny and the bathroom smaller still. The doors and fittings are very cheap and it was disgusting to see the drip pipe from the AC unit run to drip into the shower. While the room was clean the advertised amenities were not there, no microwave, no WiFi, only local channels with poor reception on the television. There was also no telephone in the room. The bed was hard and uncomfortable and the AC did not work properly.

The food served was cheap, easy to make food with zero options for variety. The portions were also very small. The furniture was very sparse and in a very poor state of repair, in fact there were many plastic chairs that were brittle and dry rotted, in short the furniture was a hazard. The pools were very small and were not clean. The tiles used around the pool areas and in fact most of the outdoor areas were not properly selected, they are too smooth and therefore treacherous when wet. Placing "slippery when wet" signs are useless, this is even more so on the ocean front side where there are many steep steps, one can be seriously injured with a fall anywhere. There are also many areas with protruding bits of metal that are hazards.

I found the hospitality staff very nice and attentive however, the management personnel were not as nice and receptive. There were no spa related amenities.

Will not return unless there is a major upgrade.

GFLM South

3  Thank GFLM
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My family and I recently stayed at this resort after reading much favorable reviews, however we were very disappointed. We payed for an ocean view room, and was presented with a room with a big coconut tree to the front. In addition to this we found that the rooms were very small. The bed was very uncomfortable, there were just two pillows on the bed and they were very hard. My husband had to use his travelling bag to place under the pillow for some support. Based on the price we payed, the website stated that cable Tv and Wifi would be included however none of this was true. We picked up a couple of local stations that were showing very rainy. The bathroom, omg, the bathrooms.. very very small, with a wooden slide door to close it off ,there is also little pressure in the showers, The rooms also had mosquitoes which was very irritating.For an ocean view room, which costs more than the other rooms, our air condition was not working properly, we had to open our doors at night as the rooms were sooo hot. Major upgrade on the rooms needed. Moving along, the resort specifically states no coolers or glass bottles, however there was one bar on the compound and this bar was NOT fully stocked. My family and I had to walk across the road from the resort to purchase our drinks. Ladies, there are no cocktail drinks as well. Food, you're paying alot of money to be told that when taking food, you can only have one choice of meat out of 3, and at breakfast eggs were only served for children. The only dessert was coconut ice cream which was served only at dinner time. The food was not tasty at all. The resorts advertises 3 pools, 2 of which are very small. A spa service was also advertised, there was no sight of a "Spa". The beach was a no no as there was alot of debris. Another thing, this resort has alot of steep stairs, clearly they are not for anyone with disabilities neither the elderly. The only plus was that the resort was very clean and there was one very accomodating staff member, and that was Michelle, very pleasant lady. I would strongly suggest checking out a beach house or maybe another resort. Don't let the pictures fool you as it did us.

4  Thank ShreyaSanFernando
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Was surprised by my boyfriend with a two night stay and could not have been more surprised. As a Canadian of Trini descent I had no idea that resorts like this existed in Trinidad. The sprawling grounds were very well kept, the views to due for, privacy always respected and the food was great. Absolutely a great place to get away from it all. Best feature - the amazing staff who were friendly, accommodating and provided excellent service.
Everything about this place exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: March 2013