“Select a different resort”

Korovou Eco Tour Resort
Reviewed February 22, 2014

There are many other resorts near Korovou Eco Tour Resort and I would recommend selecting a different resort. The staff were friendly and helpful when approached, but often the bar was unattended for long periods and mess and rubbish were left around for hours whilst they were sitting around.
The name of this resort is deceiving. I did not see any evidence of the resort being 'eco' nor having much in the way or tours. There is a few good places to see nearby, but they're not advertised nor do the staff alert you to their existence - it took other travellers passing the word around. Examples include: walking to Honeymoon Beach through the jungle at the back of the neighbouring White Sandy backpackers - the cost is $2.00 to go to the beach (dropped into an honesty box) and the beach is much nicer for lounging around and swimming. Also there is good snorkelling at the edge of the reef in front of the resort, but you have to go through 150 metres of rocks and dead coral to get there.
The lowest point of the stay is the food at the resort. Dinners were good (we had a very tasty fish dish one night, and chicken the following), lunches are ok, but breakfasts are terrible. With lunch and dinner there is only one meal choice and the quantity/size is not overly generous for a large male. The breakfast were buffet and included cornflakes, wheatbix, tea, coffee, water, juice, two types of sliced fruit and a selection of cakes/sweat pastries.
The rooms (standard bure) of an acceptable quality. Of note is that power is turned off during the day and again after midnight during the wee hours of the morning. This means the fan in the room will not work during these periods.
On the morning of our second night we woke up to find all the backpackers from the dorms moved out onto the sun lounges at the pool area due to bed bugs in both the dorm rooms. Prior to arriving at the island we had been previously informed that it had recently been plagued by bed bugs and it seems that a few days later they were still there but thankfully only in the dorms not the bures.

Room Tip: Avoid the dorms as they have been plagued by bed bugs.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scotty C

Reviewed February 6, 2014

If I had the choice I would have gone to another island. I was travelling on an awesome adventures "tropical awegasm" package and this was my 3rd island. After being on south sea island and waya lailai I was expecting the same kind of service and island but it didn't really happen. I was staying in dorms and made a few friends from other islands here. The dorms were pretty big and the staff were moving beds around when we got in.

The staff (particularly the women made us feel like we are being watched. There were 4 showers in the dorm the 1st one didn't work at all, 2nd didn't have a shower head and was essentially a pipe sticking out of the wall and the 3rd one you couldn't open the door from the inside so got locked in every time.

There were a group of 32 Aussie 18 and 19 year olds running around the resort acting like they were in Ibiza. They had been volunteering for a week and now were partying for about a week. The group I was with tried to mix with them but the staff didn't exactly make it easier. If you don't flirt like crazy with the guy in charge of the music at night you will be subjected to someone elses ipod.

The beach was nothing special, I made friends from other islands who were staying down the road at white sandy beach (1 coconut) and their resort had a better beach and nicer staff. We all met up and went to honeymoon beach on the other side of the island and made our own fun/entertainment. The group of people I was hanging out with made our own fun and played some volley ball and then hung out in the pool (it's not exactly clean in there though)

Don't be afraid to ask for a bigger portion of food when you are served and the staff will load it onto your plate in a tiny sized portion. The bar prices are ridiculous and the water on the island is not drinkable. Any other island that this was the case at least provided free water/juice at meal times.

Overall I do wonder if my experience would have been different if the staff weren't so taken up with the other guests and not neglected us. Would have picked another island over this one.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Laura M
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed in the dorm, which was pretty clean and very spacious. The bathrooms in the dorms are not the best, but doable. The staff was so friendly. We played a game of volleyball as soon as we arrived and that got everyone comfortable with each other. It was a great place to meet people and I wish I had more time to stay there. They offered good snorkeling, hikes, fish feedings, coconut demos, etc. I wanted to do a dive so they set me up with Manta Ray Resort and manta picked us up in their boat to do the dive, it was very convenient.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Arriving at Korovou you walk down a slippery path built into the sea to get you from the boat to the accommodation.
The bure we stayed in was okay. A bit underwhelming. Large with an ensuite but a bit dark and dingy.
The food, from what I remember, was average. Rice and meat as is standard in Fiji. There aren't any options though, whatever is on the menu kind of goes.
The pool was murky and smelt a bit weird and the beach was stoney when the tide was out (not exactly their fault but still.)
The staff however were lovely. They really included you, seemed genuinely happy and made sure you had a good time. We had a couple of volleyball tournaments and crab races which were fun. Apart from that a bit underwhelming, I almost forgot we stayed here in the
Yasawas! Sorry Korovou!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Korovou Eco resort was a perfect place to chill. Fabulous beach and hammock locations but snorkling not as good as other locations.
Staff are incredible, friendly and fun. We had a quirky church service while there, real Fijian culture which was great!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I was travelling with a friend on the Bula Pass (2 Coconut Double room) for two weeks. Korovou was the first placce we stayed (2 nights), and we loved it so much that we came back for another 5 nights. My friend then stayed there for much longer, but I had further travelling plans. After having travelled in Australia for 3 months in sometimes really bad and dirty hostels, it was like luxury holidays in paradise: Pretty and clean bures with a double bed and a single bed, bathroom and toilet. There was enough space to unpack our huge backpacks. The room was decorated with tropical flowers. The beautiful beach and hammocks were a few steps out of the door, you hear the sound of the ocean when going to sleep and when you wake up.

Breakfast and lunch are simple but good. There is a good 3 course dinner and they ask you about special dietary needs ect.
There are different activities like mantaray snorkelling, coconut demonstration, coconut weaving, fijian cooking lesson, hikes, spear fishing, village trip... After dinner, there is entertainment with a dance show, some games, music. The reef is right infront of the resort. If you take a short walk to honeymoon beach, there's an excellent reef!

But what made me love this place so much are the people there! Staff is so friendly and warm-hearted and they really care about you if you care for them and if you don't only see what luxury things are missing. Fijian people are so generous and joyful. It wasn't a long time I stayed at Korovou, but long enough to find real friendship and learn to love every day and don't worry. But if you are looking for perfect 5-star tourist holidays, maybe you should go to another resort. Korovou is the place to find new friends, talk to people and enjoy what the beautiful island offers.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chigusa K
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Overall this resort is Great Opportunity to stay in the Yasawa group of islands with out paying so much. It's a very simple and nice resort. The food is okay but the feeling of being on your own private beach is the best part. The snorkeling trip to see the Mantarays is great. The water is warm and clear, the workers are friendly and make you feel at home and quiet atmosphere makes it very relaxing and calming.

• Stayed: August 2013
#1 of 1 in Naviti Island
Viwa Island Resort
Viwa Island Resort
#1 of 15 in Yasawa Islands

Been to Korovou Eco Tour Resort? Share your experiences!