“Wasn't overly impressed!”

Korovou Eco Tour Resort
“Wasn't overly impressed!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in korovou for 2 nights the accommodation is basic and smells of damp but is airy. The bathroom facilities are okay not the best. The island isn't as beautiful as the rest and I wasn't overly impressed about the beach which is also shared with white sandy beach but the staff are lovely a bit forgetful when serving food to say the least, the activities were fun and the staff joined in creating a good atmosphere and are very family orientated. I also had a massage which was lovely as it was situated right on the beach. There is swimming pool and church on site which you can attend on Sunday. The only downside is that when I was here the generators were down and so the power was often off which wasn't ideal when getting ready or sleeping! Also the food wasn't as good as the other islands but the cooking class was outstanding!

• Stayed April 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Berlin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

We spent two nights at this resort and had one of the stone-built deluxe accomodations. It was spacious, had a fridge and the staff at the restaurant was nice. That's where the positives stop. Staff at the reception was very unfriendly and disinterested, they unbeliveably charge you 10 dollars for providing towels in the bathroom and 15% extra if you want to pay by credit-card - nowhere else in Fiji (or in the world) did I encounter something similar. The food was the most expensive (98 Dollars per day per person) and the worst we had on our Fiji-trip by some distance. A miserable breakfast (instant coffee only) is followed by two set meals with the ever same ingredients. The restaurant is not open and airy but a muggy room lacking atmosphere. The garden looks shabby, the beach is not very convenient for swimming and house reef is less interesting than at other places (Octopus, Botaira, Nanuya, Blue Lagoon). Go somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Itto O

Travelers are raving about these Naviti Island hotels

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed at the resort for 2 nights with 3 other girls on one of the awesome adventure packages. Was lovely , beautiful rooms, I was there 8 days before the cyclone hit. Was clean , food was average . Staff were very friendly. James was very nice to look at that's for sure ;) The "gecko man" was crazy. Will be returning for sure :) beautiful place to stay . Make sure you take a walk over the hill to the other beach it perfect...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I absolutely loved this place! It was the second resort on our Awesome Fiji packet. I don't understand why there are such negative comments but have people forgotten that the cyclone left a lot of the resorts in a tough position and complaining about not having soap..etc., Really look at the bigger picture. The place showed and taught me great values, the kids, the staff, the place was altogether so humble. I could not have asked for a better place to be. I can honestly say I felt right at home. They taught me how to laugh and live with such limited resources.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank yenackles
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

This place was great! I am not too sure what the fuss is all about.

I was reluctant to go in the beginning, because of the negative reviews- but it turned out great! We enjoyed the simple pleasures in entertainment such as traditional dancing, playing bowling with a coconut and a few water bottles as pins, hermit crab race, games with the local kids, and just kicking back and talking to staff about their way of living and perspectives in life. That is what travelling to another country is all about right? Experiencing something different from home? Absolute pleasure, will definitely be coming back. Also, the snorkelling instructor was gorgeous (shredded body, exotic tanned skin and playful =)).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ytram N
devizes
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

This was the second resort we stayed at on an Awesome tour of Fiji.
This may sound petty but when we were arrived we were told there was no soap supplied in resort.
Not great when you used the public area toilets. These were used by staff too so I began to wonder where they washed their hands before preparing food. So if you go to this resort make sure you take some with you
Food was not good. All made on a budget. Pasta and rice . Very boring and not Fijian. Be prepared to pay extra for every little thing. Take your own towels as you will pay for them.
There is a swimming pool but it is not cleaned and as the water on the resort is not fit to drink keep your mouth closed.
The thing is the staff were lovely and friendly. But this alone will not help them when people stop using this resort. We were not very quick. If you go with Awesome check which resorts you are going to . Because they really should be checking out the quality of the resorts before sending people. Problem is once a reputation is lost it is hard to get back.

Room Tip: Take everything you need. Soap towels and shampoo .Bottled water. If you can take your own Snorkel a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights in the deluxe dorms while the resort was fairly quiet (about 20 guests in the entire resort). The weather was not the best while I was here and I was at the middle of my trip so I used my stay here as a recovery stop to catch up on some sleep. Arriving at the deluxe dorms was such a blessing after coming from cramped bunk bed set ups. For the first time I was able to unpack and re-pack my suitcase because I had enough space and light to do so. There was only one power outlet in the deluxe dorm so I charged my camera at the bar during dinner time (the generator is switched on in the mornings and evenings). The resort as a whole was a lot more laid back and island-style than the other resorts I went to, which was a nice change. The beach wasn't great so I did most of my swimming in the pool. There are hammocks on the beach and sun loungers by the pool which are perfect for sunbathing or escaping the heat of the sun. There were 2 showers and 2 toilets attached to the deluxe dorm which were clean. The showers could do with an extra nail in the door to hang things from.

I did two activities that were included in my Full Monty package (snorkeling trip by boat and the island massage) as well as going for the free walk to Honeymoon beach. The snorkeling trip was awesome. The boat ride was the longest one I'd been on for a snorkel or dive trip- approximately 25 minutes but it was worth it. The coral gardens were neat and there isn't any snorkeling like that near the resort. If you're there during the Mantaray season I would definitely recommend this trip. The island massage was super relaxing and I even fell asleep a couple of times. You end up with a bit of residual oil afterwards so wear something that you don't mind getting a bit of massage oil on. The free guided walk to Honeymoon beach took about 10 minutes to get there, going over a hill. It wasn't a particularly pleasant day in terms of weather so my experience wasn't anything to rave about but several people I met along my travels recommended it. James, the activities man, is fantastic! He's very friendly and gets guests involved in activities without being demanding or overbearing. The rest of the staff were great and very friendly. The food overall was delicious and they catered to my dietary requirements without a fuss (I'm vegetarian). There are no options for lunch and dinner- you get what is served on your plate but you are able to get seconds and there is dessert after dinner!

Overall this was a great stop to recover from my hangovers, eat some good food, catch up on sleep and relax. These resorts are in the outer islands of Fiji so if you're looking for The Sheridan-style types of accommodation, you're looking in the wrong place.

Room Tip: 1. Deluxe dorms have single beds whereas the standard dorms have bunk beds. 2. Choose a bed by a w...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
#1 of 1 in Tavewa Island
Barefoot Manta Island
Barefoot Manta Island
#1 of 1 in Drawaqa Island

Been to Korovou Eco Tour Resort? Share your experiences!