“Felt Like coming home”

Botaira Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Naviti Island
“Felt Like coming home”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

On returning to Botaira it was just as we remembered it two years ago, some of the staff had changed but they were just as great.

The reef and the people are the selling point for this resort.

You do need to have different expectations on the accommodation for the outer islands as things like water are at a premium. Cleanliness of the rooms is not what it is on the mainland but there is so much more that makes up for that.

We have been to Fiji 5 times and stayed at a few different places, this is the best snorkeling. We thought we would come back in Manta Ray season and this was worth it. If you do want a chance of seeing the manta rays then it is best to stay for a while rather than a couple of nights, they are not there every day. You just put your name down for the next trip and they let you know when there has been a sighting.

Food is "homely", tasty, fresh. Even afternoon tea, with warm cake.

On the reef we have seen all sorts : Lion fish, octopus, turtles, giant clams and little reef sharks ....something new every dive.

It really is a home away from home.....my beautiful Fiji .......take me back......

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jared H

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Orillia, Canada
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I recently snorkeled on the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. The reef at Botaira is as good as the Great Barrier Reef. The advantage at Botaira is that the reef is just a one minute swim from the shore whereas you have to take a one plus hour boat trip to the Great Barrier Reef. The variety of fish that I saw was simply incredible. Even after ten snorkel trips over the reef, I was still seeing new species of fish.The best time to snorkel the reef at Botaira is at high tide when you can snorkel directly over the shallowest part of the reef but there is a concrete walkway that you can use to get to the other parts of the reef at lower tides.
The beach is a long stretch of white sand in a cove that is usually sheltered from the winds.
The volume and quality of food was excellent with some meals being served buffet style and some being individually served to your table.
Staff accomodated numerous request to do the manta ray tours which are just a 15 minute boat ride from the resort and to take guests handline fishing all at very reasonable costs. They also accomodated requests for guided hikes to the local village on the island.
I will be returning to Botaira for my 2014 vacation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank deancitraveller
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We recently spent 3 nights at Botaira and here are my thoughts.

The Good;
- situated on a stunning beach with amazing snorkelling and coral straight off the beach
- great dining area with views of the beach
- bures are nice and spacious with beach front bures having great views and a short walk to the incredible beach

The not so good

- There did not seem to be any visible resort management or daily manager. There was no daily announcement of activities on offer and the activities board didn't look like it had been touched for a very long time. Now I have always avoided places where activities are planned by the minute and you are all expected to participate - my idea of hell. But it would have been nice to have had some communication with regards the manta ray dive, village visit or even a small thing like providing the tides for the day.
There were even a few occasions at dinner and breakfast when there was no one around at the bar to get a drink.
On arrival we were not given any information on the fact that the waters off Botaira are a marine reserve which should be a huge selling point.
After leaving Botaira we went to Barefoot island resort which is essentially a backpacker operation and they did everything amazingly well with a full brief of the island on arrival, updated activities board and tides, breakfast briefing on days activities and dives. There was clear management and a clear activities organiser. Given that Botaira's client base is not backpackers it seems odd that backpackers at Barefoot are getting a better more informed service than anything on offer at Botaira.
There is also no tropical marine life information or reference books!! Ideally there should be a guide book in each bure but at the very least one reference book in the main dining area as was the case at Barefoot. But there was nothing at Botaira.

- Whilst the staff were friendly (george and Misi) they seemed to be just going through the motions of politeness and tolerating guests rather than really enriching the experience.
Again this experience is contrasted with Barefoot where the staff were very friendly and proactive in asking your name and remembering it - calling you by name from that point on. I don't think a single staff member asked me my name at Botaira and I only got to know their names by asking them. If I hadn't had done this I probably would have left after 3 days without anyone there actually knowing my name.

- the dining area was nice with amazing view but they are really missing an opportunity to take advantage of the location. The lights are spotlight bright and not very atmospheric. This could easily be improved by using dimmer bulbs, candles or even using some paraffin lanterns as they do in african safari camps.
The best time on the deck was when there was a brief power failure and you could actually hear the waves and see the stars...perfect ....
To the left of the dining area there is this large area of wasted space currently being used as a furniture stacking/storage area which is both unsightly and a real waste of good space.This could very easily be turned into a great chill out/lounge area with a few comfy sofas and a good library of books.

- for some unknown reason there seemed to be some need to have very loud music at dinner times and breakfast to the point where you couldn't actually hear the person next to you. I turned the music down 3 times and the next day it was up again?
At Barefoot they had a couple of fijians strumming some pleasant quiet tunes in the background which was great. Again this is what is being provided to backpackers so i am not sure why they could not offer this at Botaira to higher paying guests?

- the food was ok but oddly enough was served cold on a regular basis which was puzzling.
We initially thought this was a fijian custom but again in comparison to the backpacker fare at Barefoot which was more plentiful, very good and always hot!
At breakfast they had some electric food warmers but only 1 plug socket so if you wanted to use the toaster then you had to have cold scrambled eggs and beans! Not a compromise you should be having to make at a place where you are paying over AUD200 per night! and again something that is very easily remedied by getting a double adaptor!

- Sleep
The generator gets turned off at midnight which results in a very sticky nights sleep if there is no breeze, which invariably there isn't.
Again at barefoot they ran a small generator all night to power fans. If Barefoot could do this for their backpacker cliental I'm not sure why Botaira can not do this for it's guests.

So in conclusion, Botaira has a stunning location and could be absolutely amazing with a little more attention to detail and some dedicated staff...
I hope Jerry the owner (who was never there) reads this and does something about it as right now, given our experience I think there are currently better places to go in the area for the same or in some cases less money...which is a real shame as Botaira has so much potential.

Room Tip: All the beachfront bures have a great location but my preference in terms of privacy and access to t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank ian k
Bellingen, Australia
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We spent another wonderful holiday at Botaira in May. After a warm welcome we checked in to our usual bure on the beach, it was so good to 'come home'. Quite a change of staff with a new barman and wait staff and a new activities organizer named Moses who is amazing, we had so much fun with the never ending activities he arranged for us. What a wonderful addition to the Botaira 'crew'. As always our bure was spotless and although we had a key to the door we never felt the need to lock it. The staff at Botaira are so friendly and helpful it is hard to believe the previous reviewer. Botaira is on Naviti island one of the larger islands in the Yasawa Group it faces west on a beautiful white sand beach fringed by one of the most beautiful reefs, a marine sanctuary, with a huge abundance of colorful coral and fish, the only grass in the water is the sea grass close to the shore where the baby fish breed and this area of grasses is not extensive.The reef is easly accessible at all tides via a path through the shallows. The food is good, well cooked and fresh, the resort has a wonderful veggie garden and fruit growing as well. Hens provide fresh eggs. I think the raw fish dish the previous reviewer was referring too was Kokoda, raw fish which cooks itself in lime juice to which coconut milk and cream is added, it is a great favorite with everyone who stays at the resort, it is a traditional Fijian food and on the menu of many hotels in Fiji. The overall quality of the food is really good. We met some wonderful people from all over the world many who had come from other resorts and wished they had only stayed at Botaira. The Manta Rays are back and daily trips to the' passage' were made available and all who went came back thrilled with the experience and photos were shared. Evenings were filled with laughter and all joined in the activities organized by Moses, the crab races were great fun. Botaira hosted a convention of local people to do with new fishing licences and the health and saftey of the reefs and the ocean, nearby resorts were involved too and it was interesting to listen to the presentation on the final evening. It was lovely to catch up with our hosts Jerry and Alumita again and hear of their plans for the resort. What is new is a massage bure overlooking the beach, I had a most relaxing massage by Sala, great addition to the resort, and the gym for those who are active. Solar hot water panels will be installed on every bure and is probably being done now. This will ensure that cold showers will be only by choice. A wonderful addition in time for the winter months. The trip to Soso village gave us the chance to catch up with former staff including Ase and it was lovely to see her husband Jerry looking well again after a serious illness. We have already planned our next visit to beautiful Botaira, even so it is always hard to leave. Thank you all, staff and fellow guests for making our stay so memorable and for the most moving farewell we have ever experienced, we love you all. Moce... Barb & Eddie

Room Tip: The beachfront are just that and the sunsets are so beautiful,
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank HOOKED ON FIJI
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I took the Yasawa flyer ferry to this very small island and it took 3 1/2 hours. Everyone on the ferry got off on other stops and it was only me and one couple that got off at Botaira. There is nothing here and the one bar / restaurant is run down. The toilet outside is dirty and stinks. The accommodation is so basic and the housekeeping is really lacking. A woman puts a flower thing around our necks but doesn't really welcome us. She then tells us to go upstairs to the bar, rinse our feet for sand and gives us juice and tells us all other drinks we have to pay for at the bar. The place is deserted except for one other couple. So we go snorkel and he to wait for someone to help us with the gear as there is no one there. The gear is old and worn. Many of the masks leak. There is nothing to see in terms of snorkeling. There is brown grass in the water and you are lucky to see a few fish. Then it's lunch. This part was so gross. They served us some raw fish chunks in a milk broth and to be honest it looked like vomit. The texture was so tough and rubbery and flavourless. Then we got a covered plate like the kind you get in hospitals and underneath was a few french fries, cold, and a thin tough piece of fish you could hardly cut and the taste was awful. It was obviously they were trying to serve something local, cheap, and low quality so they could keep as much money from the tour as possible. But before I knew this I ordered a beer. The bartender was small and I think he has mental illness. He was talking to himself, wouldn't get me a beer and took his time. After 20 minutes or so of him standing around he finally brought me a warm beer. I gave him the money and waited for change. He kept telling me things like you will get change later. I asked him if he forgot and he got sarcastic and said no. So after an hour or so I was still waiting for change. I had to use the awful toilet and then wanted to get some sun as the ferry was due soon. So I said can I get my change and he just ignored me. I had to stand in front of him and ask him again and he said he would give it to me when the ferry comes. So I kept looking back and he and the waitress were laughing. So this ruined my day on top of all of the other things. I then saw the ferry and small boat that was coming to pick us up and the bartender just laughed and ignored me. I went up to the waitress and she was also really rude and said soooo.... then go over there and try and get your money. So I had to go to another building and told the guy there that the bartender will not give me my change back and he said nothing. I then saw another couple that had stayed the night there also having some issues and the tourist said, and now I have to check to see if my stuff is safe. I also said the same thing. I said I want my change. And I had to leave my stuff on the beach, I don't know if it is safe, and the boat is here. And the guy replied, "boat will wait"... And actually they won't. So I had to say over and over I want my change, the bartender refused to give me my change, and I was getting upset. But because I was receiving hostile and aggressive looks, I was speaking nicely and polite. It was just awful to experience this in the middle of nowhere and no one cared. They were all in on it. So with the other couple listening, I just kept saying I gave him money and I want my change back. And we are not talking a few coins. I gave him a large bill because I thought I was safe on a tour at a resort. And they refused to give me my change. Finally he got the petty cash and slowly and reluctantly gave me some change back but not all. I ran to the boat, my flip flop got stuck and everyone was watching and I could tell felt bad for me and the other couple said they wanted the hell out of there and was also flustered. This is obviously pathetic and desperate behaviour and this place is a dump. With all the closer, nicer islands this place sucks. And they are like pirates not obeying rules and laws treating tourists nicely. I also plan to report this to the ferry terminal, Fiji tourism, and the travel desk. You really upset me and treated me in an unjust way. And I plan on telling people what you did. Improve your resort if one can even call it that. And stop stealing people's money! I had to put one star but this place is negative 100. Stay away.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
20 Thank Worldexplorer21
Lennox Head, Australia
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We spent 2 nights on Botaira in march, a simple, quiet and peaceful place with staff who are respectful and helpful, if not a little shy,which was nice. Some tourists mistake this for aloofness which it is not. About a dozen bures, The rooms are basic yet comfortable with ensuite and ceiling fan and screened for mossies. They are right on the beach for the sunset. The power goes off at midnight to dawn so the overhead fan stops, making for a warm night. Meals are set menu, basic tucker and set price, the soup is good, beer is cheap. Nice bar and deck. The village of Soso, 400 people, is a 40 minute walk over the hill and along a series of coves and worth a visit, they have local handmade products for sale and you can visit the school, cost $3 to the chief and a donation to the school, kayaks are free and there is a small wave off the southern point for fun, basket weaving and coconut demo is good fun, coral snorkelling off the beach out front with narrow concrete path leading out underwater.

Room Tip: all much the same, on the beach in the palms
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank roly03
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We had visited Botaira beach Resort a number of years ago. On our return we received a warm Fijian welcome with song and flower lei from Newa, our charming hostess. After a refreshing glass of fresh pineapple juice we were shown to our bure. What a surprise! The bures have been rebuilt and renovated to a high standard. They still retained the traditional decorated ceilings and furnishings but the bathrooms and the terrace with loungers were delightful additions. An electric ceiling fan provide a welcomed cooling breeze and a small refrigerator kept our drinks cool during the day – solar electricity has been installed so the noise of diesel generators is no longer heard.

The meals have greatly improved and they were so varied and interesting that every meal was a pleasant surprise. The Lovo night was particularly good with a buffet meal and a great range of choice. In addition Botaira still has an old-fashioned afternoon tea with freshly baked cakes.

The Happy Hour provided a huge range of drinks including different beers, wine, spirits and Botaira’s famous cocktails at half the price of other resorts.

Of course the focus of a Botaira holiday is the beach with its golden sand and wonderful coral and myriads of tropical fish – like swimming in an aquarium! The kayaks and snorkelling gear is all in very good condition and in plentiful supply.

When one tired of swimming and relaxing in a hammock there was the ridge hike and the walk to the village where one could experience true Fijian life.

Our five day stay all too soon came to an end and reluctantly we left this island paradise.

What guests do we feel that Botaira beach Resort is for? If you are looking for a backpacker resort full of teenagers looking for a great time; or those wanting a swanky resort with bright lights, swimming pools and high prices; then Botaira is not for you. BUT if you are a couple wanting a romantic private hideaway with a beautiful beach, peace and quiet, good food and great value for money then you should put Botaira at the top of your list – we loved it and will be back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Octopus Resort
Octopus Resort
#1 of 3 in Waya Island
Mantaray Island Resort

Been to Botaira Resort? Share your experiences!