“Botaira continues to improve”

Botaira Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Naviti Island
Melbourne
“Botaira continues to improve”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We returned to Botaira for our 5th stay. The original reception area was damaged in the storms earlier this year, and has been replaced by a smaller, simplr structure. The famous raised bar deck has been expanded, and all meals are now served there - either under cover for the few days when it rains, or out on the deck as usual.
We found that the property has been beautifully kept, and the gardens were in magnificent condition. We also found that the cuisine has improved considerably. Well done Chef!
The reef is unbelievable. Since Botaira was declared a marine preserve in 2009, the species count, numbers and size of the reef inhabitants has increased noticibly. There were regular reports of lionfish, turtles, barracuda, octopus, etc.
We were very pleased to learn that Gerry has no plans to add more bure, so there are still only 11 bure - enough to give a variety of new friends to meet without being crowded.
We will be back with friends next year.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RonandSue

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Mittagong
Reviewed July 21, 2011

We stayed 4 nights at Botaira and grew to love it more every day. It initially appeared a little more "basic" than I expected but within a few hours I had noticed what great care had been invested in every little thing. So lovingly crafted.
We had no problems with insects - all screens perfectly intact and the mossie nets I brought with me were a bit useless.
Our children were enthralled by abundant sea life and we hardly saw them as they played happily with other children with shells, crabs, star fish, palm leave, hammocks, fishing rods ..... endless amusements for children.
We loved the village visit and the Meke. We loved the lovo dinner and the coconut demo.
I haven't felt so relaxed and calm for a long time - Botaira is a place that helps you focus on what's important in a lush, idyllic natural environment.
And Knox's choice of chilled music and cocktail specials for happy hour helped, too.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Peripidous
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Botaira Resort is an excellent choice. The things that really stood out for us here were not only were the staff fun,friendly and kind which is what you would want on holiday. But you can tell they think about the little things to make your stay enjoyable. They are a great resort if you want relaxed holiday, in comfortable bures, nice beach, snorkeling, food with top service.

- Every meal for 6 days was different.
- The bures were clean and tidy, and serviced every day
- The 5th night you stay, you get a romantic meal on the beach. It is outstanding. I eat a lot of seafood from Nz, and this meal was one of the best I have had.
- Snorkeling every day with an abundance of fish life/coral
- Just around the corner from swimming with the Manta Rays
- And importantly it was really affordable

Botaira resort gave us a holiday with no regrets. We would highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kiwitravller1
Bay of Plenty
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Kia Ora Team
Bridge and I can't say enough ....... You are simply the best.!!!
We came dishevelled and exhausted ... we left energised and full of your warmth !

Our bure was magic, Thanks Asenacea and Sala!
Our food was delicious and delivered always with a smile by the best waiters in the world .... Billy , Enoke, Mini, Tom .... Bula ! Loved the suprises and our meal on the beach was to die for .... Lobster extraordinaire ! Thanks for putting up with my flour intolerance !
Wine was served by the stunning Crusader supporter Knox and we were sernaded daily by John and team .

The snorkelling is the best in Fiji and we swam with the giant manta rays ... what a thrill !
Thanks so much for ensuring your coral is kept safe .... hope it stays forever!!!

We met such lovely people and whilst I would like to ensure you are not discovered by all the world ...... I would have to say ..... you are without doubt the best .... and we have stayed at many resorts !.
I hope you will always have space for us cos we would love to be back tomorrow !!!!!
Moce and nga mihi nui.... See you in 2012!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Mia C
Reviewed June 27, 2011

We spent a week here in June and it was fab, best part of our 3 month trip! The staff are amazing you are treated like royalty. We didn't want to leave. This is the place to stay in Fiji and there is loads to do i.e snorkelling, kayaking, fishing, village trip etc. We hope to get back some day. Thank you to Gerry and all the wonderful staff, we miss you all. Anne & Des, Ireland

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Ashtow
Bellingen, Australia
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Have just come back from our 10th visit to beautiful Botaira. The resorts slogan " The Luxury of Simplicity" describes the Botaira experience perfectly. With the ever increasing number of resorts offering a very western style of "Fijian" experience, Botaira makes you realize that sometimes the simpler things in life are just as good. Comfortable spacious bures may be basic but offer all you really need. The wonderful staff go out of their way to make your stay a very Fijian experience. The food is good and servings generous simple and wholesome. The previous reviewer has covered so much I won't repeat.
We snorkeled with the Manta Rays which was awesome, the reef out front of the resort just gets more beautiful with so many fish and amazing variety of coral. A new pontoon is nearly ready to be launched, the old one was a victim of the last cyclone. The renovations are ongoing. We met again guests from last Octobers visit who came with friends and made many new friends. So many laughs. It was full house most of the time and everyone loved it with plans to hopefully return for a big reunion next May, lets hope we can all make it as many had traveled great distances. Special thanks to Jerry, Newa, Knox, Amini, Sunna and Tom for looking after us so well, to Joe and the two Nox's who cooked for us and to Ase and Sala who kept our rooms clean. To all the staff thank you for your friendship, we are so thankful that we 'discovered' Botaira and are fortunate to be able to keep coming back. Will hopefully add some photos later.
Moce Vinaka

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank HOOKED ON FIJI
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 24, 2011

We stayed at a beachfront bure for 3 nights at Botaira in May 2011. Botaira was the second part of our holiday after spending 4 nights at Octopus resort.

Our bures were actually a lot better quality then I had anticipated. We thought the Botaira bure is better than most of the Octopus Resorts bures that we stayed at, including the Premium Garden Bure and the Beach Front Bure, except for The Point Bure.

In regards, to the water pressure of the shower, yes, it is weak, but it was normal for us because it was the same pressure as the showers at our brand new appartment in Sydney anway. The electricity does turn off at night, but there is a LED lantern in the room.

Because I am a light sleeper, I had difficulty sleeping, but that was the case everywhere, even when I stayed at The Point Bure, at Octopus Resort , which had air conditioning. My wife and my brother had no trouble sleeping at all.

In the lead up to visiting Fiji, I monitored the weather patterns of Nadi, and it always showed that there were thunderstorms, rain etc… I was a little bit worried especially when we arrived at the airport and it was rainning hard and our taxi driver confirmed our fears and said that it rains everyday in Nadi.

Once we were out on the Yasawa Islands, for the whole duration of our 9 nights, it only rained once and it was in the middle of the night! It was beautiful warm, sunny weather everyday until the day we arrived back in Nadi, which happened to be raining again. My advice is not to worry about the weather reports for Fiji because the weather patterns are compeletely different on the islands compared to the mainland.

We went to Nanuya Resort in 2010 and thought the snorkelling was good there. Botaira, hands down, has the BEST snorkelling when compared to Nanuya or Octopus resort. A couple of the other guests who where scuba divers told us that there was no point going scuba diving as the snorkelling was so good just off the beach at Botaira.

The snorkelling is just so incredible right off the beach. There are just so much more fish as well as variety of soft and hard corals. On one of the days, one of the staff members Minnie, asked us if we wanted to go kayaking and snorkelling. We thought it was going to be part of a group but it was just the three of us and him.

He took us across the bay and told us the beach adjacent to the Botaira resorts beach was a nesting site for turtles and to be on the lookout for turtles. To our amazement we saw a huge adult turtle swimming on the top of the water. We snorkeled while he swam and dragged the kayaks. It was a free 1.5 hour guided kayak and snorkeling trip by an awesome staff member.

During our stay here we managed to see thousands of fish, octopus, squid, turtles, two massive manta rays, giant clams, sea snakes, blue travelly, thousands of crazy open mouthed fish that I don’t know the name of, and my wife even saw a shark during our manta ray snorkelling trip.

My brother while swimming at the beach lost his waterproof digital camera which contained hundreds of photos of our trip. My brother was devastated, and when a staff found out, he took his clothes off, jumped straight into the sea, and tried to find it with us. Unfortunately, the tide was high and it was getting dark and we had to call off the search. When the tide was lower that night another staff went out with torches with my brother to try and find it.

Next morning when the tide was much lower, while I was sitting on the hammock with my wife, I noticed 5 of the staff on the beach, looking for my brother's camera. My brother wasn't even with them or asked them to find it. They just went and searched out of their own kindness. In the end even with 7 men trying to find one camera we gave up and realised that the sea has claimed another electronic victim.

My wife decides to go and look for the camera on our last day, just before our transport arrived and 2 minutes later she came back with the camera! I put it down to women's intuition.

Overall, if you are looking for awesome snorkeling along, best resort staff in Fiji and a personal laid back non-westernised resort but a genuine Fiji experience then go to Botaira.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Waya Island
Barefoot Manta Island
Barefoot Manta Island
#1 of 1 in Drawaqa Island

Been to Botaira Beach Resort? Share your experiences!