Nanuya Island Resort
$235
$222
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Oarsman's Bay Lodge(Nacula Island)
$119
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
$224
$214
  • Breakfast included
Paradise Cove Resort(Naukacuvu Island)
$231
$197
Agoda.com
Naqalia Lodge(Waya Lailai)
$101
$87
  • Beachfront
Viwa Island Resort(Yasawa Islands)
$433
$379
Priceline
  • Pool
Tanoa Waterfront Hotel(Lautoka)(Great Value!)
$126
$99
Priceline
  • Pool
All reviewstreetop burethe yasawa flyerfishblue lagoonlow tidedeluxe villaour honeymoonboat ridelounge arealaid backceiling fannew ownersdesalination plantsolar powerstayed longerthe kitchen staffbeach bures
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from our 4th trip to Nanuya Island Resort in 3 years and we are going back in October. My previous reviews say it all. The staff, the food and the laid back nature of NIR is what keeps us returning. If you want peace and quiet, NIR is the place for you. Once again a huge vinaka to the staff for your friendship and of course to Zac for the wonderful birthday cake. See you again soon.

3  Thank Fijifan
Reviewed June 1, 2013

This was our fourth visit to Fiji and 7th resort. And Nanuya places number 1 in our book! We stayed 13 days, 12 nights in April 2013. We stayed in beachfront bure #4, which is set behind the three beachfront bures. We had a wonderful stay. The island is beautiful, the water is beautiful, the staff are beautiful, food was AMAZING!!! And we had fantastic weather, only one day of rain, but it was warm and kind of fun to watch the lightning storm as we ate breakfast. The fish looked like they were running across the water when the thunder struck! Once the lighting stopped, we still went about our island paradise in the rain, snorkeling and my husband jogged on the beach (which he did nearly every morning at low tide and as long as the Blue Lagoon Cruise Ship wasn’t moored).

We snorkeled nearly every day. Even at low tide, you can snorkel right in front of the resort. Wonderful! There is always water on the beach, unlike other resorts we’ve been to where at low tide, it seems like the water is a mile out! Not at Nanuya, even at low tide, you walk a couple more feet on the sand, then you’re in water.

We did the underwater cave trip, which was quite an experience. My husband stayed in the first part of the cave, but I went to the underwater part. Was a bit frightening at first because you can’t see, but was well worth the experience! And they have the system very well worked out. The guide out front pushed you through the underwater part and the inside guide helped pull you into the cave. But you have to be able to float or swim once you get into the underwater part, since it would be too difficult to take a life jacket under the water with you. And if you are afraid of water, might not be the best thing to do.

We also hired Jioji to take us to Turtle Island so we could see the specific islands the original Blue Lagoon movie was filmed, and then we snorkeled out front of Turtle Island. Was a blast! The coral over in this area was better than in front of the resort, probably because it wasn’t as damaged by the Dec. 2012 hurricane.

As many other reviewers have said, the staff are wonderful! Remi and Jioji, our new brothers! Bari, Nanni, Lewa, Nero, you are all such sweethearts! My husband caught a cold during our visit (told it was a Fijian cold, hahaha) and Nero was such a sweetheart and got him some lemon and Uci leaves to steam and breath in to help clear up his head. The manager, Alfie, is a sweetheart and was very helpful! I got chewed up one night by mosquitoes, and he provided me with the Fiji brand of bug bite cream (evidently the US-made cream doesn’t take Fiji mosquitoes into account!).

The food was absolutely AMAZING!!! Such huge portions that we shared lunch (when we had it) and dinner/ dessert every night. Most mornings we just ate fruit/toast/muffins for breakfast, a few snacks that we brought with us throughout the day, and then shared an appetizer/dinner/dessert. But I must say, if you have the roast beef or steak with mashed potatoes, get your own. It is so fantastic, you won’t want to share! We had beef at other resorts and it was like chewing leather. But not at Nanuya! The beef melted in your mouth! The other favorite meal we had was the coconut encrusted walu fillet. It melted in your mouth and was absolutely fantastic (and I don’t like seafood!!!). The bonafie pie was delicious as everyone has said. As was the chocolate cake and cheese cake! All of the chefs were amazing, Sam, Ura, Lewa, Sekove! I miss your delicious entrees!

As with any place, there are always a few negatives. The only areas that were problem s for me (but not my husband) were the bed and no air conditioning. The bed was very uncomfortable and small (queen size in the beachfront bures). And since there was no air conditioning, the sheets were always damp (unless it was the day we got new sheets). I know it’s very expensive to run air conditioning, but I would hope they figure out a way to get them in the bures. It would help during the really hot months and the humidity causing the sheets to be damp throughout the year. I really didn’t have one good night sleep…but all the other wonderful things about the resort made up for these two issues. Every day I was in heaven, resting in the hammock, snorkeling, floating and sunbathing, EATING, hiking around the island and making new friends with both the staff and other visitors (HELLO, HELEN AND CHARLES!!!). And the rooms are built very nice and solid. We only used the mosquito netting a few days, but since there were no geckos in the room and only one night did a mosquito get in, we didn’t use it much. Loved the shower!
We would definitely go back, even if they don’t improve the beds/air conditioning. If they did these two things, Nanuya would be the best place in Fiji!

Recommendations:
My husband liked bure #4, but I think I would have liked bure #3 better. There really wasn’t more privacy in #4 because staff is always walking in front of it. And I didn’t like looking at the back of the other bures, I would rather have been looking at the beach, palm trees and water. You can only see a little sliver of the beach/trees/water from bure #4.

Make sure to put insect repellant on before you head out for dinner. If there is a bad night of mosquitoes, it doesn’t take them long to tear you up. Staff do spray the grounds every night, which is helpful. But I still got chewed up one night at dinner. So from them on, I slathered the repellant on before heading out and didn’t have any more problems.

Don’t overpack. I found the best things to wear for women are yoga/biking shorts with a beach dress on top of them. I even hiked in this outfit. Then of course a bathing suit with cover up, sarongs, a few tank tops, and you’re set! I brought about 7 pairs of shorts, I think I wore one for a couple of hours…

Bring one tube of sun block and one bottle of bug repellent per week you are there (for two people). We had such wonderful weather that we ran out of sun block and had to buy one from the resort. Just barely made it with enough bug repellant.

Bring some snacks.

Don’t use a trash bag for your dirty clothes (the white, pull-string type of trash bag). It gets ripped up pretty good being transported back and forth between your bure and the main bure where you drop it off at. Bring along a regular laundry bag, since that’s what you will be giving to staff and they will deliver your clean clothes in. We bought a military laundry bag for our next trip, but you can get a laundry bag from any store. I suggest one you can’t see through, since you’re taking your dirty laundry down to the main bure to get it cleaned. So other guests can’t see your unmentionables…hahahaha

But we loved Nanuya and hope to take our daughters back in the near future!

Room Tip: My husband liked being behind the other beachfront bures in #4, but I would try to reserve #3 the next time.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Love-Fiji-forever
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Wow wow wow. A must place to go to for a quiet relaxing holiday. Our treetop bure was very comfortable and the bathroom was huge. The evening meal of lobster is a must have. Thank you all staff for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Scarbie
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We've just come back from 15 days at Nanuya Island Resort and had a great time. We've been in the Blue Lagoon area now five times; twice to Blue Lagoon Beach Resort and twice with Blue Lagoon Cruises and this trip. It's a beautiful area with great snorkelling off the beach if you look for the right places.

We agree with everything that has been said about the location. Bures are nice, clean and comfortable. Staff are excellent and friendly and soon get to know what you like at the bar and and in the restaurant. Food was excellent with plenty of variety in the day menu. Dinner main courses were outstanding, particularly the fish cooked in a great variety of ways. A minor gripe is that the entree and desert manu is pretty static, but we did ask for a fruit platter as an alternative and 'No problem' was the immediate answer.

Alfie, the manager, seems to work all hours but is always cheerful and can organsie anything at a moments notice.

The resort is very low key; don't expect lots of entertainmen, kava and fire dancing ... it's just not Nanuya style.

We visited the local village across the lagoon with Jioji, a resort staff member(in his boat) . Again, low key. met the Chief, a lovely man with a gammy leg, who went back to working on his boat after talking to us.

We are not big eaters so the absense of meal plans and ability to chose what we wanted, even to sharing a main meal was just what we needed.

Nanuya ticks all our boxes and we're coming back next year.

Room Tip: If you're able to climb, the tree top bures are nice but smaller. Beach front bures are larger, with 2-4 being the pick.
4  Thank fijimad
Reviewed May 24, 2013

All that we hoped it would be; a couple-friendly paradise away from the demands of modern life. The ever-friendly staff work hard and the resort is well run by Alfie and the team. The staff outnumber the guests and this is evident in the level of detail that is put in to ensure a stress-free and totally relaxing and secure environment. This is absolute beachfront living and the pristine coral reef is on your doorstep, so snorkelling gear is a must.
Each evening the dinner menu was awaited with eager anticipation and the end results rarely disappointed; on offer were surprisingly well cooked steaks as well as the ubiquitous, fresh and superbly presented fish and seafood options (made all the better when you can eat what you have caught on your fishing trip with Jiorgi - advised).
The lunch menu is limited and not exactly exciting, but hey...

The bar is well stocked with local and international labels (at reasonable prices) and you can have a go at the extensive cocktail menu without breaking the bank.

Negatives - We had such a great time that it's hard to find anything to complain about; however, the ceiling fan in our bure was extremely noisy and we heard the same complaint from other guests. It sounds trivial, but it does affect the quality of your sleep on hot and humid nights and was the one main detraction from an otherwise perfect paradise.

1  Thank PJH_QMan