“Great Snorkelling, Poor Accommodation”

Mantaray Island Resort
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I only spent one night on Nanuya Balavu which was plenty. If you are going to Mantaray as a backpacker then the 32 bed dorm is not pleasant. Far too many bugs, lizards, spiders and mosquitos. Considering you pay 89 FJ a day for food, i found it rather average. The staff were helpful. The free Kayaking was great and the snorkelling was incredible. I'd recommend this island for a short stay, i'm sure it would be fab if you were in a Bure not the dorm, it was loud and the loos smelt of piss.

Room Tip: Don't go in the dorm
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank cjacks0n

Reviewed February 12, 2014

For the price that you pay you can get extremely better value for your money and more of a Fijian experience at neighbouring resorts such as Octopus Resort.

We had booked and paid to stay at Mantaray for 8 nights, and wanted to leave so only stayed 1 night. In the end we ended up paying for TWO resorts for 7 nights! However we would not change this as Mantaray lacked any type of atmosphere, and Octopus where we stayed made us feel like part of their Fijian family!!

At Mantaray when we spoke to the staff, to see if they could help us out with a reduction in the cost or small refund, all they said was that there resort policy was to give no refunds. What ever we asked they just repeated this phrase again and again.

I could go on and pick holes in the resort, ranging from facilities, staff rudeness, canteen feel dinning hall. and damaged furniture however all I would say is I would never recommend it!!

Is it worth your money?

Room Tip: Go to another island
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steen S
Lynn S, Customer Care at Mantaray Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Thank you for your review.
We regret that you didn't wish to remain with us for the duration of your booking, which meant that the cancellation policy shown in all our literature applied.
We also regret that you were unable to have the opportunity to enjoy Mantaray Island unlike, so many other visitors who leave with amazing memories.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

We stayed at Mantaray Island Resort for 3 nights and wished we could have stayed longer! From the moment you step off the boat you feel relaxed and welcomed by the friendly staff and chilled atmosphere. All of the staff are so friendly and welcoming and everyone smiles and talks to you, and they take the time to remember your name even though they have so many visitors. We stayed in a treehouse bure right on the beachfront - it was a clean and simple room, comfy bed and views of the ocean from our bed. The facilities with this are shared and kept very clean. In fact, the whole resort is very clean and tidy at all times. The toilets are waterless but don't smell and the showers are fine...the bures and dorms share but there was never a queue for anything. The main chill-out and bar area are comfy and modern, and the restaurant has amazing views. The food is great too! The sea is so clear and great for snorkelling, adn the beach is clean. Plus there are so many activity options so you will never be bored, but also it is a great place to just chill out and relax. We did the village visit, which was brilliant, and also saw a traditional Fijian dance show, which was also great! Cannot recommend this place enough.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Where do I start ? This Island rocks ! Stayed 2 nights whilst on the "tropical awegasm" package. There's so much to do and the island is gorgeous. All of the staff are so friendly and helpful. Oh my god the food was amazing ! Soooo worth $174 for the package for 2 nights, huge menu choice and massive buffet at breakfast.

Entertainment every night and you just felt so welcome. The beach has a bar and a massive chilling out area with cushions when you are a bit hot from the sweltering heat. Free activities run every day like weaving bracelets, making a ring from a coconut. I went kayaking with the guide around one of the islands and it was completely free too. They take you out to some really nice snorkelling sites too.

You have to try the sunset tube cruise too but book early to avoid disappointment. You sit in a rubber ring in the sea and watch the sun go down, very relaxing.

I was staying in the dorm, not a lot of room for all of your stuff when it's full but you get your own storage space under the bed and there are fans in each pod. I did get stuck next to a squeaky fan though, but I was so tired and a little tipsy each night to care. The toilets are pretty far away from the dorm though so if you need to go at night you will have a walk through the jungle to get there. The toilets are also waterless, I was a bit freaked out at first but soon got used to it and it didn't smell like I thought it would (like at a music festival). The showers were great, outside you feel like you are showering in the rain, so refreshing.

Overall I stayed on 6 different islands and this was my favourite- would love to go back :)

Room Tip: Pick a top bunk for more room and it's cooler as you are closer to the fans.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Laura M
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I stayed in a treehouse bure, which was pretty basic, just two beds, a little bedside table and a small balcony out front, but it was everything I needed. The shared toilets are 'waterless' but they were generally pretty clean. Loved the outdoor shared showers. The best thing about this resort is that it is relaxed, there are plenty of hammocks around for guests to relax, read a book & chill. The beach is nice and the snorkelling is second to none, just out in front of the resort. I also loved the food. Plenty of fish and vegetarian options. The breakfast buffet was better than in some of the other (more expensive) resorts. Diving was also great, although it is a bit more expensive than at other resorts in the Yasawas. Overall I loved my stay at the resort and I hope to be able to go back sometime soon.

Room Tip: Wifi works pretty much everywhere apart from in the dorm room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Saritatravels_12
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Mantaray Island Resort with a friend in a jungle bure, literally steps from the ocean and the marine conservation reef where I found some of the best snorkelling in Fiji ($20 hire of snorkelling equipment for your entire stay.. Free use of kayaks). The accommodation is great (no aircon but ceiling fans and the breeze off the ocean), self composting toilets with no smell whatsoever, hammocks everywhere and the food (at $87fjd per day) was also very good with a wide range of choices. The staff on the island were extremely nice, fun and helpful (Gabrielle, Rachael, Ben, Arva, Savi, Anna and many more!) The sunset tube cruise is a must along with creating bracelets out of coconuts and leaves as well as the games at night all made for a fantastic holiday. I cannot wait to go back, next time in Mantaray season!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Carlie_Smith
Reviewed January 24, 2014

The bures are cute and it's much more simple and relaxed than the name "resort" implies. A lot of the people who keep the place running are pretty local and by the time we left I really felt like I'd been visiting them, not just staying at the place where they work. The snorkelling straight off the beach was fantastic when we were there over new year. They made a big effort with the food and provided a pretty wide menu, considering everything is shipped in, and it was all delicious but despite the international styles they brought out, vegetarians didn't eat that well.

Room Tip: A bure number more than 4 if you want to avoid noise from the bar.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Tavewa Island
Octopus Resort
Octopus Resort
#1 of 3 in Waya Island

Been to Mantaray Island Resort? Share your experiences!