“A snorkeler’s paradise on a backpacker-style island” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mantaray Island Resort

Mantaray Island Resort
Brisbane, Australia
“A snorkeler’s paradise on a backpacker-style island”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I was travelling by myself and wanted a snorkelling holiday in Fiji. I chose Mantaray Island Resort after reading numerous reviews here on Tripadvisor, out of which many commented on its excellent snorkelling right off the beach. I stayed here for 4 nights and snorkelled for a couple of hours every day and I can honestly say that the snorkelling here is amazing. I saw a great variety of fish, lots and lots of fish, found moral eels and a few octopus. It was also fairly easy to spot the Nemos! They are so many Nemos to be found! The coral reef here is very healthy. I snorkelled by myself most of the time and I felt very safe. On the day of arrival you are briefed on where to snorkel – there is an area sectioned by a few floating balls and it’s safe to snorkelling within this area as outside boat traffic doesn’t come through here. The staff on the beach seem to keep an eye out for people who are snorkelling on the reef so I always felt safe. There is a current, which is stronger in the afternoon. But it’s not dangerous. All you have to do is know which way the current is flowing, walk to the end of the beach, and the water gently takes you. Unlike some other places in fiji, you can snorkel in both high tides and low tides here. There is a sign out there says ‘avoid snorkelling in low tide’ – but it is generally ok to snorkel in low tide unless the tide is extremely low. I was able to snorkel in the low tide in the morning and you just have to be careful to maneuver your way around the coral so that you do not come in contact with them. On another day I also kayaked with a couple of other guests across to the to the other beach and it was also quite safe to do that - took only about 5-10 minutes.

I stayed in the dorm. Sleeping on the bottom of the bunk bed I did feel that it was a bit crammed. There was not a lot of space to put your luggage so when there were a lot of guests staying in the dorm, the floor of the dorm looked a bit messy because there was stuff everywhere. However, after the guests checked out the next day at 10am and the staff cleaned the room, it looked quite ok for a little while (until it gets messy again when people checked in!). I read here on Tripadvisor that some people experienced bed bugs here so I took a chance of being bitten by bed bugs but still decided to stay here because of the house reef. There were no bed bugs when I stayed here and I did not hear of any guests who had bed bugs during the time when I stayed, so it was all good! There is a mosquito net on ever bed but I did not use it. I just used insect repellent and I didn’t really get bitten and slept quite well. There is a resident cat called ‘Fluffy’ and she came over to sleep on my dorm bed in the middle of the night at around 5am. It was such a pleasant surprise!

A few negative about the dorm: there is really no power points to available to charge your electronics except for one powerpoint that is used for the wall fan - it is shared amongst four beds. So if no one else is charging their electronic device using the fan powerpoint, you can use that to charge your items. However, it was so awkard to have to climb up to the upper bunk bed to unplug the cord from the fan and plug my plug in...also also had to let the cord hanging on the wall... To charge your electronic items, you can bring your electronics to the ‘Main bure/restaurant’ to charge. There are a couple of charge points available and during my stay I was always able to charge my items. The toilet is about 1-2 minutes walk away from the dorm which is not very convenient in the middle of the night. The shower is also always cold. But I was able to put up as I always showered during the day. At night it can be a bit cold using the cold shower.

The food is pretty good except for the breakfast. Breakfast is very basic. The juice at breakfast is so diluted it tasted like water. Lunch and dinner was pretty good.

Overall I had a good experience here at the Mantaray Island Resort. Most of the staff here are friendly except for a female staff working in the ‘Main bure/restaurant’ -she never smiled and had some attitude issues. She can look kind of rude and appeared like she really didn't want to be there.

If you are after excellent snorkelling and can put up with a bit of roughing up staying in the dorm, I can recommend choosing to stay in the Mantaray Island Resort. The bure would be nicer to stay in if you are travelling with partners or friends. The dorm, however, is still acceptable as long as you know what to expect. The Mantaray Island Resort is also a great place to meet people when you are a solo traveller. I have met many cool people during my stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for luxuary accommodation this is not for you. The burres are very small and have communal facilities. If you are looking for a true island experience and great food then this should be top of your list. The staff are really friendly and take the time to learn your name even though there is a constant stream of people on and off the island, there is a lot to do and the food (for island food) is great with a buffet breakfast, lots of options at lunch and a buffet dinner. We would definately visit again.

• Stayed June 2013
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

We travelled to the Yasawa Islands for a weeks holiday staying at 3 islands during the week. Starting in the Birth & heading back to Nadi on the main island. Mantaray Island Resort was my favourite of all.

We stayed in a Jungle Bure. These rooms have ensure facilities as opposed to shared ablutions in all other accommodations. Bures are built up on stilts with toilets being long drop, no flushing required!! This may sound a little strange however, water is desalinated and precious therefore the long drop toilets are the ideal solution. Surprisingly, they do not smell at all, although you sometime get a slight breeze coming up the chute.

The water is gin clear and the corals are stunning, some if the best snorkelling I have seen around the world.

The beach is beautiful with plenty of sun beds. The view from the dining area is spectacular over the rain forests out to the crystal clear water of the reefs & Pacific.

The Bure was clean and smartly presented, the best accommodation we had encountered on our trip. The staff, as with all our islands stays, were as helpful & friendly as ever. A typical Fijian trait.

The only thing that sets this apart from other beach resorts is that you have to pay for your food where most if not all the other island resorts had food cost already covered. Nevertheless, the choice if food was great and I certainly had no complaints about paying a small daily supplement for what, in my opinion, was some of the best food of our trip.

We did two excursions. The first being the sunset tube cruise, the second being a days diving. The tube cruise is a trip out to float about in the Pacific just before sunset whilst sipping a cool one. The diving was to the Babylon Caves and a shark dive. Both great. The shark dive did not disappoint, we were accompanied by numerous sharks, grey, black tip & white tip reef sharks were with us throughout the 50 minute dive, awesome.

If you are planning an island hopping trip to the Yasawas I would definitely recommend the Mantaray Island Resort.

Happy travels

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank RobT
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Pros:
* Fantastic staff - very friendly, helpful, polite
* Snorkelling - 1000s of fish right off the beach
* Jungle Bure accommodation - large, clean, right on the beach
* Food quite good - particularly the burgers and fishnchips
* Swimming with Manta Ray is fun (though can be hit and miss seeing them)
* Great sunsets from back beach

Cons:
* Definitely aimed at backpackers - if you're looking for a peaceful, relaxing holiday I'd probably choose other islands over this one. Felt like a school camp with a series of 'entertainments and activities' to keep bored teenagers amused
* Enforced meal charge forces you to have to schedule your day around the 3 meals. Quite expensive for what you get. Plus drinks on top of the meals means it's a pretty expensive stay all up.
* The beach is not the pure white powdery stuff of posters... it's quite gritty and full of shells
* Only a limited number of beach chairs - so even if you've paid 5x the price for a jungle bure, people from dorms will still come down and take all the chairs.
* This resort is kid friendly - be prepared to have any peace and quiet shattered by someone's screaming brat

Room Tip: If you're after peace and quiet, ask for a jungle Bure as far along the beach as possible.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

After reading a few of the mildly negative Trip Advisor reviews of this resort, I threw caution to the winds and booked a week at Mantaray. Good choice! Our beach bure was in a beautiful location with fabulous snorkeling just steps away, and the sky and ocean views were stellar. The staff was off- the-charts friendly and helpful, the bure was well-maintained, and even the composting toilets worked very efficiently. And did I mention the snorkeling, right off the beach? Incroyable! Our timing was a little off as the mantas didn't show up until a few days after we departed, but our visit there was nonetheless spectacular. The resort caters to backpackers and doesn't have a pool, so maybe there are better choices if you're traveling with very young children. I rated it excellent for the value even though it's not a five-star kind of place. No espresso!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Had a great time here in April 2013. Met one of the diving instructors who took me out spearing, lending me his personal gear, for no charge. What we caught was prepared by the chef beautifully for dinner. The resort has a Coral reef that has more fish life than any other in the Yasawa Island chain and is perfect for beginner snorkeling. The fishing charter looks like a great option for lino's too. I understand the resort is gearing up to look after Freedivers and I can tell this will succeed simply because they have staff that love it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

I went the island on a package I was on with awsome adventures so can't comment on the price per night. With cost, I'd say the meals are expensive with a compulsory meal plan of $80FJ a day yet it was worth the money except for breakfeast where you have the option for hot food yet there is another additional cost.

Regards to the staff, I feel they completed and made the experience. There are two guys there, and Australian and a Englishmen, they were friendly and always up for a good time which enhanced it, however drinks were pricey. With regards to the rest of the staff, they really made an effort and every member of staff would actually remember your name which I was really impressed about

The location is incredible and the beaches are amazing, the dorms where clean however the mosquito nets did have a few hole.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nanuya
Blue Lagoon Beach Resort
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,207 reviews
Barefoot Manta Island
Barefoot Manta Island
#1 of 1 in Drawaqa Island

Been to Mantaray Island Resort? Share your experiences!