“Idyllic beach front resort”
Review of Octopus Resort

Octopus Resort
Hampshire
“Idyllic beach front resort”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We were in one of the point burees right on the beach and it was fantastic. This is not a super chic six star resort but it does have a wonderful location with wonderful staff and is precisely what my family were after - being myself, my wife and our two boys under 10. We loved it and when we get back to Fiji this is where we will head. The childcare/crèche facility was excellent and unexpected as we had not picked this service up in the promotional information.

The house reef just off the beach is amazing and makes this place a category killer in our view. Amazing child care, lovely uncomplicated food, great fishing, fantastic friendly staff. And we saw a manta ray! Perfect end to our recent trip to the Southern Hemisphere.

Room Tip: The point beach front burees were great with access straight onto the beach and air con. We all stay...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Fridger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Idaho Springs, Colorado
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We stayed at Octopus Resort last week and really enjoyed it. The staff was welcoming and helpful. Everything was explained fully. We spent one night in a Garden Bure and one night in a Beachfront Bure. Both were traditional style and very nice, however the beachfront is best if available. Food was very good. The snorkeling was excellent right off the beach with abundant, colorful corals and fish. If we come back to Fiji this is where we would go. Alan B.

Room Tip: Beachfront Bures are great and have a bigger bed and bathroom than Garden Bure.
2 Thank Alan B
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 24, 2014

This is a 90 maximum guest resort on a beautiful long beach with amazing coral and fish 10 metres from the sand which is perfect for snorkelling at mid tide. No sea lice. It's protected from the easterly wind and has great sunsets. The resort area is just right with 2 bars and a restaurant with a sand floor. Drink prices are reasonable and the wine selection is good. The beach bures with outside shower are wonderful. The sound of the waves at night is great and not too loud but get a garden bure if that's a problem but then you miss walking straight onto the sand beach. The food was first class and extraordinary for a remote location. We took the seaplane there and the 2.5 hour Yasawa Flyer back was scenic and not boring. The range of ages of the guests was really good - not dominated by any group and there was certainly no annoying partying with everyone behaving superbly. It was terrific talking to other guests at dinner. The value was outstanding. The staff are genuinely friendly and happy because of the resort owners' supportive action for the locals.

Room Tip: Beach bure
2 Thank DanSydneyAustralia
Newcastle
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed at the Octopus Resort last week for 7 nights and it was everything people said and more, amazing place and genuinely wonderful people. From start to finish our holiday, which was for my birthday, was a delight.

Short version: truly the best holiday we have had both in respect of location and experience. We got everything and more which we hoped for. The islanders were genuine and hospitable as the island is their home, sea and sand were postcard perfect, the food was heavenly and I got to go deep sea fishing which is my holiday treat. I am going to go back even if it takes me a few years to save up again.

Long version:
We booked the boat transfer with the hotel from Vudu marina and Sunni the driver was waiting for us at Nadi airport with a huge smile and the 15 to 20min drive to the harbour was hasslefree as was the boat trip. It was a great start to the holiday seeing some of the islands on the 1hr 20min boat trip - I would recommend you take a bottle of water with you (you can get water & beer etc at the airport while waiting to collect your bags) especially if its been a long flight.
I believe you can take beverages to the island but there are no facilities for fridges either in the bures or kitchens as resources are limited with it being an island, this isn't a complaint its merely an observation.

When you arrive, you are greeted by the band and staff singing - its fun getting off the boat onto a smaller boat with all your bags to be taken to shore, Bula is hello and its polite to look people in the eye without sunglasses when greeting them.

We stayed in a beachfront bure (bure 9) which was wonderful, I think it was the nicest bure as its a little more private at the front and like all the other beachfronts you have your own sunbeds & huge hammock and there is a cement pool near the decking of the bure to wash your feet which has fresh hibiscus flowers put in it every day. The bure has a gorgeous & huge outdoor shower area and the ladies put fresh flowers on the beds and tables every day - just a beautiful touch. The views, beach, sea and just everything is spectacular and you don't feel that there are many people on the island at all.

The dining is superb and gets better each meal.... breakfast is a choice of fresh fruit, cereals, cakes, toast, juice and Anna makes delicious omelettes. Lunch has a huge choice for even the fussiest eaters which includes curries, local Fijian dishes, homemade burgers (I had those every day), fresh fish and then a dish of the day e.g. pasta or pizza etc. Supper.... I haven't eaten such nice meals in a long time & I never eat more than one course normally but I ate everything .... the nights varied from a la carte to Fijian nights to normal meals and every night you had so much choice - fresh fish, steak, fijian dishes, pasta - honestly it was nice and I am so glad we were there when they tested out their new a la carte menu. The tables are on decking and mostly on the sand and I think I only wore shoes one night (my birthday as they matched my dress ha) which was a delight for an African like me. Eating tends to be shared tables which is quite nice as you meet new people but if you wish to sit in couples its not a problem at all and we did this most nights if I am honest.

The staff throughout the resort are wonderful and they make a real effort to learn and remember your names, its nice if you try to do the same. Nothing is too much trouble and its all so genuine and effortless on their part, I loved them all but specifically remember Merione, Anna, Kara, Tania, 'Beyonce', and of course lovely amiable Joe the barman and funny Ben. I wish I could remember and had learnt all their names. Jim and Ravi the managers are just great and what a pleasure it was to meet all the people we did who work and live there.

Activities are plentiful if you want them, if you want to lie on the beach all day you can - you just listen for the drums to indicate its time for the event (there is a board up each day with activities & times) or the conch horns for meal times. You can learn Fijian cooking ($10), you can learn to do weaving, jewellery making etc which is free. There are other activities like visiting the village and / or the boarding school where all the village children over 5 go to I think, mountain hike, yoga and night snorkelling or diving with Esava who works at the dive shop - I think there is a small charge for some of these. We went deep sea fishing with Rusi and I recommend this to anyone, 2hours is the min booking time & its about $150 per hour for up to four people - very reasonable even for one person but even more so if four of you share the min $300 price. Rusi is the captain and he was great, best time is 6am and we (Rusi and I) caught 6 fish - spanish mackerel, big eyed trevalli and bonito. We kept one fish at Rusi's insistence & the chefs cooked it for usfor lunch and it was heavenly. The snorkelling is great, do what the resort recommends & go through the buoys so you don't end up stuck on the coral! If you can take an underwater camera do so, I bought a Pentax W10 (£80) for the trip and got some fab pictures both underwater and normal day & night shots.

For our return flight we had to be in Nadi the day before, if you do then I would leave in the pm as there isn't a hell of lot in Nadi. Raffles hotel looks okay from the outside and its literally across the road from the airport. We stayed at the Sofitel on Denaru Island and its amazing. The rooms are luxury and the pool is huge, downside is there are a zillion people. I highly recommend you visit Denaru harbour / port as there are loads of shops for souvenirs, clothes, jewellery etc which seem reasonable prices and its less hassle than Nadi where they pester you - it was horrid in Nadi town. There are also lots of restaurants including a Hard Rock cafe at the Denaru Harbour / port. You can walk there from the Sofitel in about 15min or you can get the Bula Bus which goes around all the hotels, golf course & kids playground on Denaru for about $8 for the day. We ate at Mamazitas Mexican Restaurant at the Wyndham hotel and it was really really nice there but boy was it busy & jumping so you might have to wait for a table. It cost about $7 from the Sofitel to get there by taxi.

All in all a fantastic holiday and we would recommend the Octopus to anyone and I hope we am back sooner rather than later.

Room Tip: Please see my review above. Bure 9 is great, private considering its a beachfront bure and like all...
2 Thank HnS_11
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

It was absolutely perfect! I loved the people, friendly staff, delicious food and great beach. Nice and clean cottages, quiet and relaxing, adapt for who wants to take a break from the chaos the city. Surely I would come back if I had the chance.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Valentina L
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Another great place to stay when travelling to the Yasawas - would certainly come back here. The snorkelling and massages are reason enough! Plenty of things to do, great food, fantastic staff. Stayed in the 2-coconut accommodation - private room with shared ablutions. Facilities are clean and well looked-after. Truly enjoyed the school visit, which was a real eye-opener.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lmarinus11
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We stayed at the Octopus resort 2 weeks ago on our way home from a 34 night cruise on the Queen Victoria. By comparison we would definitely stay here again whereas not on the Queen Vic. again until we are at least in our 70's. Everything about this resort was fantastic! The snorkeling over the coral was a highlight along with the wonderful staff, food, and all the other aspects the other reviewers mention. The only thing I wished I had changed was to book a the bure on the beach rather than the garden cabin. We hope things stay the same till we go back!

1 Thank Kerrie B
#1 of 1 in Drawaqa Island
Viwa Island Resort
Viwa Island Resort
#2 of 15 in Yasawa Islands

Been to Octopus Resort? Share your experiences!