Octopus Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
Naqalia Lodge(Waya Lailai)
  • Beachfront
Paradise Cove Resort(Naukacuvu Island)
Botaira Resort(Naviti Island)
  • Restaurant
Viwa Island Resort(Yasawa Islands)
  • Beachfront
Matamanoa Island Resort(Matamanoa Island)
  • Breakfast included
Mana Island Resort(Mana Island)
1,345 results
All reviewsoctopusquiz nightgarden burefishlocal villagecoconut barset menumountain hikethe managersthe yasawa flyercrabpoint bureoutdoor showergreat beachvillage visitvuda marinanight snorkel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Stayed from 03.02. - 09.02.2014. Octopus Resort is a friendly place, and the staff is outstanding! The beach is great, and the "bures" (cottages) have all you need for a pleasant stay. My bure was absolute beachfront, and I had several night-swimming in the moonshine.

The resort has a dive center, and we went for several dives in the crystal clear water. Visibility more than 40 metres!

I will recommend this resort, if you are on a small budget. Very good value for money!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Hans Petter D
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I really don't know where to start.....we spent 6 lovely nights at Octopus, loved it so much definately going back in 2015 & hopefully again this August.

The Beach & Pool: stunning beach with lots of sun beds & a few hammocks, lots of sun beds around the pool too. You really could find your own piece of paradise.

The Room: our garden bure (No 12) set in a beautiful garden setting, one back from the beach. It was lovely listening to the ocean roar at night. It consisted of a queen bed & a single bed, nice outdoor shower, very clean & comfortable. There were mosquito nets for nighttime but we didn't use them as it was pretty hot & stopped the airflow from the ceiling fan. No issues with bugs etc. There was a good sized safe in the room.

Massage: Had a lovely Indian head massage & a full body massage, prices really reasonable ($60 FJD for full massage). Do book your massages when you arrive though as they tend to have limited spots & it would be awful to miss out because these massages were fantastic! After massage you sit out on the deck facing the ocean which is so serene & enjoy some coconut water & fresh fruit. I didn't want to move it was so peaceful.

Staff: mainly staff from the village work here & were so great to chat to, they were always smiling. A couple of the older gentleman Taivoli & Tianese (not sure of the spelling) told us a lot of stories so do seek them out for a good yarn or 3!. Ravi & Jim (assistant managers) were so helpful & nothing was a bother to them, Jojo the manager was having a couple of days away but we talked a little to her. The whole staff should be commended.

Food/Drinks: For an island I found the food plentiful & tasty, nothing really flash but service & quality great, no waiting time. The communal dining is an excellent idea, we got to meet people from all over the world - this was lots of fun too! Happy Hour while watching the amazing sunsets is something I will never forget.

Activities: The movie night under the stars eating popcorn & an ice cream was such a treat, the quiz night hilarious (I won't say anymore on this), the hermit crab racing also fun - Ravi you're the master!!! The Meke (Fijian dancers) was another fun night. There are a few things happening throughout the day (jewellery making, basket weaving, tours to the Village to go to Church, another tour of the village & kindergarten. There were snorkelling trips & diving 3 times a day). We visited the school, this was a short trip in the fishing boat to the school. There are 4 villages on the island & the kids come from these villages & board Sunday-Friday. Delightful kids who sang & danced & loved seeing their photos, take some $$ for the small market there, we also did some amazing snorkelling out over the reef here.

Snorkelling: I only got to snorkel once at the resort. It was rough a couple of the days so you couldn't snorkel but what I did see I loved, great variety of fish & colourful coral. $5 for daily snorkel/mask/flipper hire or $20 for your stay.

Tips:
Take a power board for your room
A torch to find your way home (if you don't have one on your phone)
Digicel sim cards & NOT Vodaphone work at the resort but there is free Wifi (very slow at times)
Take your favourite cocktail recipe with you! I wished I had.
To get to the Village it was a bit of a hike, about 164 steps but such beautiful views along the way

There is probably lots more I could say but do yourself a favour & visit paradise, you won't be disappointed other than if you expect a flashy pretentious 5 star resort!
Vinaka to all for a wonderful stay.
We then went onto First Landing for 2 nights which was so hard leaving the island.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Leanne H
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I would highly recommend Octopus Resort. This was our second time to Fiji. Our previous holiday was the Coral Coast which was not enjoyable. Octopus Resort is the real Fiji experience. We are a family of 4 with our two teenagers 17 and 19. We all had an amazing holiday thanks to a wonderful 5 days spent at Octopus Resort. We had two Premium Garden Bures and thoroughly enjoyed our holiday. We didn't miss TV or Aircon. Your only in the room to sleep. This island is a piece of paradise!! The staff were lovely. The food was amazing!! The communal dining room made each evening a new adventure with meeting new people and sharing travel adventures. Tom and his son John at the Bar we're wonderful! We did a number of activities, Game Fishing was amazing and our first time, which we thoroughly enjoyed along with eating our catch for lunch. The school visit is well worth it to met the local kids and gain an insight to their way of life. We did the Sunday Church Mass as we heard the Choir is amazing, now we are not religious people, but to hear the wonderful singing, simply beautiful. Definitely would recommend. The snorkelling is just amazing. Everything was perfect and to be honest I don't have anything negative to say, I could not speak highly enough of how wonderful this place is!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Toni R
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I stayed here for 8 nights, did most of the activities, got my diving license here as well. The dorm room is great with air-conditioning, easy to meet people, clean and comfy bed. The diving site is awesome, the ocean is a bit too wavy but still good for snorkeling. It was nearly perfect, just in average most of the staff were not happy at all, they seems a bit grumpy and annoyed all the time, especially the ladies. And if you have any food allergic, you better tell them when you check in, otherwise the girl will get really annoyed when they serve you. Except the unhappy staff, everything is perfect!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Cath N
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Can't believe I have left it so long to review! We travelled here in July 2013 so things may have changed but i am sure the natural beauty and relaxed vibe will still be there. We are a family of 6 with a then 5 month old, 9 year old, 15 and 16 year olds and somehow the resort managed to cater for everyone. Margaret ran the kids' club and also baby sat for us each night so we could enjoy dinner. She was great with the 2 younger kids. The 9 year old made friends at the pool with a group of kids and we hardly saw her all day. The 15 year old got to go snorkelling and hiking and the 16 year old read (which is what she would do anywhere!) The physical beauty of the beach has not been imposed on by flashy rooms but that is not to say the resort is not without some style. Our room was recently renovated with a very stylish bathroom done in natural materials and charming, rustic furniture. The kids bure was a bit shabby but they didn't care.
The staff are wonderful - friendly and charming and the visit to the village a real eye opener. The management were also great. They allowed us to have a room after check out for the baby to sleep in until our boat transfer arrived which was very considerate. We came up on the resort boat which was exciting (the baby slept in a pouch the whole way but NOT recommended for older babies or children under 5) but we came back on the Ferry as the weather was pretty rough on our return which was kindly arranged by management once again.
Don't be put off by the communal dining - which I almost was. We met really interesting people this way from all over the world. We had one dud night - but it was educational for our kids to see how if you don't give back to the conversation a night becomes dull very quickly. the events are also really fun, another unexpected plus.
The food was also of a very high standard. I really appreciated the ability to have salads and light vegetarian meals for lunch. I was looking forward to dinner every night - so nice to have dessert.
We also stayed at the Sheraton Denaru Villas on the same trip. It was clean and spacious but totally lacking in the charm of Octopus. It also has virtually NO beach and the tiny thing it does have has black sand.
Tips - if you are a poor sleeper take a book light as there were no bedside lamps to read with. If you have a baby take a sling or pouch - a pram will be useless. They have high chairs in the dining room.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family