“Nirvana”
Review of Octopus Resort

Octopus Resort
Reviewed October 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed 7 nights. They were wonderful. Wonderful food, activities, rooms (I'd recommend the extra for one of the Points) Sunsets were breath-taking, swimming, awesome. The resort is located on the island Waya and is VERY secluded. Shoes were not required (except the hike to the peak) but the sand made for difficult walking for someone recently recovering from the hospital. Seeing as this doesn't apply to most people, my wife found the barefoot idea much to her liking, and didn't wear any for seven days! The staff was great, most being from the local village, and were very helpful. Everything was better than I expected, especially for the price. We came from the U.S. and thought it worth every penny(expensive flight.) Communal dining ensures dinner conversation. Not a place for recluses, but ideal for those who like company! Bring FD$ cash for arts and crafts from the village or small denominations if you choose to donate to the local school. Vinaka!

Room Tip: Point Premium 1-4 are really great! 1 and 2 have open air showers. 3 and 4 have showers in the mid...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Andy C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,319)

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed at Octopus Resort for 2 nights at the end of my trip and to be honest it put a bit of a downer on it and I couldn't wait to leave. My first impressions were amazement and I had already planned in my head to come back another time already. But my mind had been changed by the end of my stay.

The staff give the impression that the guests are a nuisance and they are not really friendly at all. They seemed to avoid eye contact and greeting you when you walked past. I stayed at a few other resorts in Fiji and the staff couldn't be more welcoming and helpful there, so Octopus does not compare well to other resorts. I didn't feel like a was getting the true Fijian welcome that everyone talks about. The bar service was slow for no reason and there was no acknowledgement or apologies for the wait. Trying to get served at lunchtime was a bit of a mission as staff just kept walking past and not taking the order. When the food finally came with no cutlery, the waitress said she would get us some. She didn't come back for 10 minutes by which time we had already got some ourselves. Again no acknowledgement or apologies for the wait.

The room we stayed in was really lovely and roomey, the outside private shower was a brilliant touch, unfortunately this was ruined by staff standing outside and talking loudly very early in the morning which woke us up. The cleaner also tried to make us check out early by hanging around outside our door which we really did not appreciate. It was obvious we were not ready to leave yet.

I got a massage while I was there and couldn't speak more highly off it! This was the best part of my stay.

The food is average and you have quite a good selection of lunch dishes to choose from. Dinner service seemed really unorganised as for each course one or two dishes were brought to the table and the other four people weren't given theirs for at least 5 minutes whilst other tables where being served, not very good when dining with others who wait until everyone at table has their food before starting theirs.

The resort was kept very clean and there were no issues in that area.

Overall, I was expecting a lot more from this resort as it's one of the more expensive ones and I would not stay here again and would not recommend it. There are much nicer islands to stay in Fiji where the staff are alot more polite, welcoming, friendly and helpful and you receive great service.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Louise G
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Amazing food, quality actives, lovely people, one of the best massages of my life, and even beach yoga in the morning.

However what really stood out for me was the value for money in relation to overall experience. We stayed at four different resorts on our last holiday and Octopus was by far the best value.

Highly recommended

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank blairmu
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is the perfect place for a relaxing break.

The highlight for me was the reef, right on the beach, it's teeming with all sorts of colourful tropical fish, it was amazing. We could simply don our snorkels and swim out from the beach. The reef is well looked after. We went out on one of the resort activities, a snorkeling trip to view manta rays. That trip involved a 45 minute boat trip to get there, it was the cusp of manta ray season and there were no manta rays, the two reefs we went to were not as good as the one directly off the beach. I tried out the night snorkeling trip also, that was unremarkable, I much prefer daytime snorkeling.

The resort has a range of accommodation from dorms to beachfront bungalows. We stayed in the more affordable option, bungalows with shared bathroom facilities. We were very satisfied with this relative to the price we paid. The bungalows are very simple, quite clean, no bugs, with a nice little deck area out front. There are a group of bungalows all clustered together with vegetation around so the setting is very pleasant and just a short walk from therestaurant and pool area. The shared bathrooms were always clean and, although the resort was quite full, the maximum number of people that used the bathrooms at the same time as me were two others. I often had it all to myself. The only flaw with the bungalow we stayed in was it was right next to the bathroom's water outflow pipe and we'd wake up each morning and have to listen to water gushing out of the pipe whenever anyone used water in the bathroom.

I liked the restaurant with its sandy floor and communal tables. The food was really good and we looked forward to our meals each day. The communal table arrangements meant we talked to many other guests and this created a friendly atmosphere within the resort. The mix of guests is diverse which is nice - we met Australians, Americans, Canadians, Germans, New Zealanders.

The service provided by staff is rather indifferent, apart from one or two, most of the staff are not overly warm or welcoming but they are polite and friendly.

The pool is a reasonable size and was a focal point for my 10 year old who happily spent virtually a whole day with her friend in and around the pool. There was also kids yoga and jewellery making for the kids to do. There is a sand volleyball court but this is rarely used - it's a shame the resort staff don't schedule a game once in a while as I suspect guests would participate with a bit of impetus. I rounded up some fellow guests for a game one day which was fun.

We used the resort boat to get there which was a bad idea in hindsight. It's a smallish boat, the sea can be rather rocky when the weather is rough, the trip takes two hours, so all you can do is sit, stare out at the water, and hope that the journey will be over soon. The resort boat also gets cancelled on a whim, as we found out on the morning when we were due to depart on the afternoon boat. This was cancelled so we had to travel on the morning boat, reducing the time we had at the resort that day. The staff did arrange for us to spend the rest of that day by the pool at Raffles hotel on the mainland which was helpful (but a poor comparison to spendign some extra hours relaxing at Octopus). I'd choose the Yasawa flyer next time - its a much bigger vessel, takes slightly longer, but at least you can spend the time reading a book.

We stayed for 4 days at Octopus and really enjoyed it. 4 or 5 days is probably sufficient. After a while you do feel the need to do something other that sit on the beach, swim in the clear blue waters, snorkel on the reef, drink cocktails..

I'd go back to Octopus again because it has a lovely relaxed feel, and the beach and reef are perfect. I'd probably splash out and try the beachfront bures..

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that are close to the bathrooms or kitchen
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I traveled here and really enjoyed my time. The beach right in front of the resort provided great snorkeling, there were a number of daily activities and the meals were excellent. Plus they have a volleyball court, right next to the beach, where you could against some of the workers, who were all pretty good. If you're looking for over the top luxury, this isn't your place, but if you're looking for a nice, relaxing island getaway in a beautiful setting, you can't go wrong here.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

If what u r looking for is to be totally relaxed. This is the place to be. The people is warm and welcoming. Customer service is great. The food is delicious. Fiji time... U will find out once u r there. Not a problem. Snorkelling, Fishing, hiking, kayaking are among things to do. The crab race, Friday cinema and locals dances are part of the night entertainment. These place is a must visit if u go to Fiji. Can't wait to go back.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Wow, What can I say.... this place is very special and a magical slice of paradise in the heart of the Yasawa's.

This is my second time returning to Octopus Resort, but this time I convinced 37 other people to come along with me! The ages of our group ranged from 13 - 80! Yes that's right 80 (my grandma and boy did she love it =)

The resort has something for everyone..... the children were happy playing volley ball with the locals, snorkelling and stand up paddle boarding. The ladies enjoyed cocktails, massages and yoga classes and the blokes fished up a storm!

The island team and mgmt made sure everything ran smoothly and they went above and beyond to make our large group feel really welcomed.

The managers arranged a very special evening for our group one night to celebrate all the milestone birthdays that we had travelled over to fiji for. The attention to detail, enthusiasm and passion for customer service far exceeded our expectation. We were all blown away by the hospitality at Octopus and the warmth from the staff and Mgmt. Peter & Jo Jo were fantastic and always made sure our group were enjoying our time....

I can honestly say it was one of the best holiday's I have been on, there were many tears when we had to leave and quite a number of our group have already started planning their next trips back to Octopus.

It's one very special place.... the fijian people, the pristine beach and spectacular snorkelling! If you are looking for an island that has something for everyone than this is it.

The only disappointment was having to leave this magical island after 6 days. If I went back again I would be booking for LONGER!

Octopus Resort is a must!

Thank you to Ravi, Jo Jo, Peter, Merioni, Voli and all the amazing Octopus Team xox

Room Tip: The Point Bure's are very lovely and have a great balcony and are quite private. The Garden Bu...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
#1 of 3 in Nanuya Lailai Island
Tokoriki Island Resort
Tokoriki Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Tokoriki Island

Been to Octopus Resort? Share your experiences!