“Nice Place in Paradise”

Safe Landing Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Nacula Island
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Hi there,

we have been to Fiji at the end of May 2012 for 6 days and only stayed at Safe Landing as we didnt have more time to explore and wanted to enjoy and calm down a bit. This is the reason why we havent taken the opportunity to island-hop, which must be amazing!

Safe Landing is a nice and basic place in a beautiful location but lets go point by point. First of all the trip there is a bit long as it takes around 5-6 hours, which added to the trip by plane from Melbourne was quite exhausting. And we havent realized this when we booked it and thought it would be only and hour or two, which was an interesting surprise as you might imagine. Nacula Island lies right at the end of Yasawa Islands and is probably one of the larger islands there so if you are an explorer and like hiking the hills its a good place, though the pathways often end in the middle of nowhere :)

For us it was paradise as when we arrived there were less guests than staff (there were 6 guests including us) so the beach was empty and we had it all for us alone.

The "hotel" is a basic place as most are in Fiji, but in terms of accommodation all was fine. We hat one of the bungalows and nothing was missing. Having the beach literally at your doorstep and a hammock to lie and read in was awesome. One little bugger we had was a frequent visitor, which was a small mouse crawling out of the sewer system used, which used to go through the trash. The staff planted a cat into the room to catch or scare it away, but then we just plugged the hole from which it came and we havent seen it again. Sleeping there was great and we always were full of energy, though the early breakfast at 8am was a bit of a stretch.

The staff as well as the Australian owners were very friendly, always helpful and there was a lot to do, like learning about the natural medicines form plants they use, peeling a coconut, making wristbands, kayaking, night snorkelling and drinking kava in the evenings as well as some group activities of which we werent that fond of as we wanted to be alone and relax.

The beach was nice esp. when the tide is high as there is enough of a sand patch to swim and mess around. If it is low there is a lot of see weed and its not ideal to swim in, so I wouldnt give the beach more than 3/5. But it was still beautiful and relaxing with no one there.

There is a reef and patches of corals just outside if you swim for a few minutes although its smaller, but the fish are plentiful and much of the coral is in great shape. The only downside is the current since the reef is near the end of the island and the open ocean creates a heavy drag so be careful.

In terms of snorkelling and diving there are many opportunities although we only took snorkelling trips around, looked at the blue lagoon beach etc. Corals in Fiji are in great shape and comparable with the great barrier reef at places. The staff took us through a number of different reefs and we saw a lot of fish, some turtles, squid etc. We later went there by foot (for free) and have spend a nice afternoon at the reefs and had a great walk as well.

There are other trips like the famous Sawa-I-Lau Cave, which was kinda cool and adventurous but also a bit disappointing since the "story" that we were promised on how the cave was created to be told was skipped. The staff there didnt speak much english (almost at all) so when we asked no one knew what to answer and since there were crowds of people waiting in the water to dive under the rock it was kinda rushed and then without any light to explore the cave we just waited till we can swim out finally. I would recommend the trip though, since I think at times its probably better and after all you dont get to swim in a cave in turquoise water every day. We did not do any other trips besides hiking, which i will upload some photos of.

The only real downside for us was the food, which although good was very repetitive and mostly consisted of rice and carrots and some meat, mostly fish that was only served at dinners (not all dinners at that). The breakfast was good though and you could eat as much as you liked (and was made). However my fiancee and I both often found that we were hungry in between the meals. There is cake stand nearby which is open for a few hours every day where you can get homemade cake and tea or coffee which quelled the hunger a bit. Dont know but what I heard from other guests (island-hoppers) there was a lot of food in other resorts on other islands and no meat scarcity.

Perhaps one more thing that we were delighted about, electricity ran only a few hours a day (around 4) so we could really shut down everything and just relax. For some people this might be a bit of a problem. Internet is available but extremely slow and only on the owners staff computer, and for a fee, which is understandable that far away from the main island.

Overall Safe Landing is a great place to go, for a very good price compared to other resorts if (that is if youre not island-hopping). The beach, water and corals were beautiful as was the surrounding nature (rocks, hills). We would definitely recommend it if you're on a budget and would return if there would be a bit more food and a variety of it.

Room Tip: just get a bungalow and youll be happy
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Richard L

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Most amazing time overthere with my girlfriend! Johnny our tour guide has to be the best guide ever. He made everything happen and nothing was a problem. If you go there make sure to visit the cave, since its a true yasawa experience! We also made it to the church on Sunday which was very welcoming and nice. All in all.. Safe landing is exactly what it looks and sounds like.. A nice place where you can "land" and just kick back and don't worry about a thing, since all the wonderful staff is there to take care of your every need!

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank JonnyGe
Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

When I think resort, I think of thick terry cloth robes, spa treatments, lavish buffets and cabana boys bringing cold fruity drinks. If that is what you want, look elsewhere and be prepared to pay for it. Safe Landing is a good value location if you want to spend time away from civilization, noise and stress. It take 4 1/2 to 5 hours to get here and if there is a wind, the ride might resemble a roller coaster. Still beautiful islands, beaches and turquoise seas make a nice view on the way.

The rooms are pretty basic and could use some maintenance. It will meet your basic needs and the beds were comfy. It is easy to fall asleep listening to the sea. Meals are provided and there is a set menu that runs about 75-80% starches with lots of rice and potato. The cook does a nice job and his rolls at dinner are wonderful. After the 4th day the menu gets pretty boring and I really wished for more protein. You can buy drinks and chips and cookies as an extra snack...again pretty limited.

There are several excursions in the area for activities. I can recommend highly the village visit and primary school visit. If you have a little room in your bags, through in some pencils or school supplies for the primary school. I took a bag of 120 lollipops and was relieved to find there was only 118 kids at school. The kids are all sweet and sang and shook out hands.

Bring clothes that are light and easy to hand wash. Be prepared if there is an outage as we lost water for 24 hours while I was there.

The activities director was really good at organizing trips and games. I enjoyed the crab races and other games. I was pleasantly surprised that I got good cell phone service and my 3G worked there. I had picked up a Fiji sim card and prepaid plan at the airport.

The Austrailan owner is investing in the resort, however the place is a work in process. Hopefully they will have a new cafe set up soon. I loved the view and spent the time napping and staring into space. You can also indulge in water sports and visiting the nearby area. I think a nIce visit is 3-4 days to see the best of the resort.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank StarrsySmith
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I recently spent 5 nights at Safe Landing and it was fantastic. The setting on 2 bays is superb. The warmth and friendliness from the staff is second to none. I stayed in a renovated dorm that was clean and comfortable with on suite shower, toilet and vanity. Meals were tasty and varied. Over 5 nights we had chicken, beef, sausage and 2 different fish meals. Very nice and alternatives for those who "do not eat that". Plenty of things to do at very reasonable cost. I did the Caves trip, Blue Lagoon, snorkelling and a memorable village trip which held a concert day with plenty of colour, music and dance. The locals were extremely welcoming. Plenty of free activities too, I did 2 four hour treks, along the beach and over the top of the island, featuring views looking back down the chain of Yasawa Islands. Volleyball, coconut bowls and pineapple smash were some late afternoon games on each day and the light hearted after dinner games left smiles on everyones faces. This resort is being renovated with alot of accommodation done, more being built and paths, landscaping continuing to make iteven better. I am surprised some people have had negative experiences but from my own I recommend Safe Landing to any and all as a great place to holiday.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Dave S
Reviewed October 23, 2012

After staying for a wonderful two weeks at Safe Landing with my Mother (73years old), I can highly recommend you take the boat ride to this wonderful island resort. If my Mother who is used to her creature comforts can enjoy and revel here I imagine most can. I am surprised about other comments as we saw no evidence of any broken windows or fly screens. Yes, there were mosquitos but had no problem with them in the room. As most travellers know they come out at dawn and dusk (to be expected in the tropics). We also found the local staff certainly including the Aussie Manager delightful and full of enthusiasm. Nothing was too much trouble and ALL the staff went to great lengths to ensure our stay be as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. The resort have great plans for the future and they certainly contribute to the local village that benefits greatly from tourism directly from the resort. Activities galore both free and some at a minimal cost, all worthwhile!The food was certainly abundant and if you were still hungry (never), then something else was always offered even if the meal was not to your taste. Ingredients plentiful!Also a mention to Michael, the reservation manager for his prompt, clear and helpful replies to our many questions and for going the extra mile to fix a boat booking error, much appreciated.If you are looking for a magical escape that makes you feel part of the family and not a number in an overcrowded resort then I highly recommend you book this resort.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank assilemcoast
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We were on an island hopping pass and we loved every island UNTIL we got to Safe Landing!!!!!!!!
The Fijian workers were so nice and really helpful and friendly (especially Volli) but that was the only good thing about that place! Our room was like a JAIL CELL! There were holes in the wall, we were scared to put the fan on as it looked like it would fall, panes of glass were missing from the windows, the mosquito nets were hanging off the window so they did not work at all and the curtains were stained and damp. We understand that it is an island far from the mainland but we have stayed in remote places that have been a million times better than that! It does not take much effort to fix windows and provide decent nets so your paying guests do not get EATEN ALIVE by mossies (again I understand there are mossies as I am well-travelled but that was beyond a joke).
The worst part was the Management! An absolute disgrace!!!! He was very arrogant and rude especially to the workers who were actually lovely people. A bad atmosphere was created by his comments and constant moaning at the workers! No manager should treat his staff like that EVER! His attitude to guests was also disgusting! He accused us of stealing towels and this was the only place that adds on the hotel tax at the end of the bill - to their advantage as it makes prices seem cheaper. This place nearly ruined our whole trip, after paying money to stay somewhere you do not expect to want to leave within 1 hour!
I hope this does not reflect badly on the workers as they were brilliant. I really hope the Management read this and realise what a disgrace they are and how they massively let down guests that have travelled from the other side of the world to spend money at their resort (also do not use the internet as your get stared at while typing, they charge you $10 for 5mins and you also have to listen to the management bullying staff)!!!!!!!!
A few final points, they do not make any effort if you have any allergies, there is rubbish everywhere and broken sun loungers over the beach!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Zandy123
Reviewed October 10, 2012

If we could do it again we would stay at Blue Lagoon Resort. Safe Landing is cheap, but you get what you pay for. Pancakes for breakfast, fried rice for lunch and ramen noodles and potatoes for dinner. The cook seems to have some talent as the dinners were good, but he does not have the ingredients needed for more than the simplest meals.

We also heard that Barefoot Island resort was really nice and also affordable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 3 in Nacula Island
Nanuya Island Resort
Nanuya Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Nanuya Lailai Island

Been to Safe Landing Resort? Share your experiences!