“Bloody perfect”

Blue Lagoon Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Nacula Island
Reviewed February 8, 2011

Blue Lagoon Beach Resort is the best Resort in Fiji. The food in the restaurant was amazing, the staff and the management were so friendly and helpful with a lot of entertainement, the beach was nice, the reef was excellent for snorkeling, the ambience was amazing...all was bloody perfect. This place is a paradise :-).

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 7, 2011

We stayed here after 3 days at the Octopus Resort, the local staff were great although the management left a lot to be disired of. It is not a patch on the Octopus Resort so if you are deciding between the two, go Octopus all the way and head here for a day trip to go swimming in the Blue Lagoon caves. Where the Octopus resort is inviting / wooden / romantic wityh ambience, the Blue Lagoon is exactly that - A gorgeous Blue Lagoon. The accomodation aspect about average with shared shower facilities if your bungalow isn't self contained. These are kept clean though.

The restaurant / bar area is a bit like a cattle shed and when we arrived they were still building the benches that support the breakfast offerings (again no where near as good as the Octopus Resort). Two days in to our 3 day stay we were tired of listening to hammering and sawing ALL DAY therefore i asked for someform of compensation (not unreasable when you head somewhere tranquil to find out you are literally staying at an unfinished resort). The management are an Australian couple/family. The lady should not be in a customer facing role, she is rude, argumentative and quite frankly arrogant. I explained my issues and she told us that she will arrange for us to leave on the next boat, we were actually fine with this as we were so disappointed up to this point although she refused to refund our last day - so we stayed out of stubborness. Her husband just wasn't interested at all and concentrated in trying to sell trips at every opportunity.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
8  Thank stevetara10
blbresort, Manager at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2011

We have been expecting a review from this guest for quite some time. Unfortunately, due to a water pipe incident, and a potential hazard to hotel operations, as explained to this guest at the time, the resort underwent repairs on a decking area from 9am to 5pm during the course of one day only while guests were on the beach. This was managed in a way to lessen impact on noise and disturbance which, with a guest list of 55 people, was deemed successful, though as stated above, clearly unacceptable to one. The work meant that the resort was able to function as normal that very day, with no interruption to service.
A point to make here would be the 'bungalows' mentioned are situated at Octopus where as Blue Lagoon Beach Resort have Lodge rooms, however these are non-ensuited at each property and advertised as such.
We apologise to this reviewer that our well intended efforts were mis-read, however, we trust that majority of people can read between the lines on this one.

Reviewed February 1, 2011

This place is paradise. Having spent 10 months travelling this was a mini holiday before coming home. Believe me when I say It is a difficult place to leave. I have never stayed in one place where I can say every single member of the team made my stay memorable in some way, all were so friendly and helpful. The only downer for me was the bad weather I encountered. There was nothing BLBR could do about that. In saying that the staff did everything they could to keep us entertained and informed throughout.
The dorms were by far the best on my whole trip. They were immaculate and I slept so well. I was dubious about eating all meals at the same restaurant but no problems it was great!
The final comment I will make is at the end of the trip when we arrived back on the mainland guests were falling over themselves to go and say farewell to the legendary barman that was on the Yasawa Flyer the day we left.

Vineka

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Mells31
Reviewed January 29, 2011

Arrived at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort after having visited a few other islands in the Mamanucas & Yasawas -- almost purely by chance due to the seemingly frantic way of organizing accommodation with the "bula pass" aboard the Yasawa Flyer. The initial impression of the crystal clear waters and surrounding white beach and lodgings was excellent; but once one got to know the friendly, knowledgeable and attentive staff and get a feel for the overall atmosphere--and especially the people staying at the resort--I knew this was definitely the place to be.

Although having initially planned to be here for only one night (Island Hopping(tm) and all that), I ended up extending my stay as long as I could,; staying for a full week and incorporating the holiday season into my stay at the Blue Lagoon--a decision I can't say I regret taking.

The staff is really special (even by Fijian standards), and they are able to help you sort most things out. They also seem to learn everyone's name instantly, which to me is quite an astounding feat, considering the place had around 30 people while I was there. This all helps you feel part of the community, and really adds to the overall experience. I hope they'll be able to maintain this and not grow too big so that this unique feature becomes lost.

The dorms (which are air-conditioned) and private bures are nice and clean. The shower facilities are good, though the usual problem with hot water, not uncommon in the Yasawas, exists (not a big deal). You have internet access via the office (only one laptop). It would obviously be nice if they had open Wi-Fi throughout the resort; but maybe this will come at a later date. Anyway, you're on vacation, right? So no need to spend an excessive time in front of a computer. ;)

The beach is naturally one of the most important aspects of staying at a resort in the South Pacific; and it certainly did not disappoint. The water is crystal clear, and many of the tropical species of fish inhabiting the surrounding reef can be seen just 2-3 meters from the shoreline.

It also bears mentioning that the food (incl. breakfast) was excellent. They bake their own bread products, and the muffins and pancakes were a great addition to the breakfast menu. The breakfast times is quite flexible as well, ~2.5 hrs if I remember correctly, so there is less chance that you'll miss it if you had a late night. Other resorts I've stayed at had one a one-hour time window for catching breakfast, for instance. Lunch and dinner offered a varied selection and had a generally excellent quality to it.

At the risk of seeming like a food-crazed maniac, I must also mention that BLBR really went all-out with their Christmas lunch; offering a spectacular two-digit course meal which would please all seafood-, as well as red/white meat- (even turkey) + vegetarian-lovers alike. I'm glad I had a good appetite for this Feast (yes with a capital F)--considering 14:00 is a little on the early side for a big meal. :)

Obviously I don't really understand some of the previous reviewers' complaints about the food. Either I was there at exactly the right time and they weren't, they had too discerning tastebuds (which I've been accused of having myself), or the consumables department had received a major overhaul recently. Either way, this was in my view one of the major strongpoints of the resort (especially compared to some of the neighbouring resorts; Ugh!). Many people I spoke to on the Yasawa flyer specifically mentioned the unremarkable food they had received at other places in the area--even on the 24th & 25th of Dec.!

If I were to offer one minor food-related suggestion it would be to not have the (otherwise very friendly) waitresses overeagerly clear it away before people are finished; which happened on some occassions. (This was *not* really unique to BLBR, though.)

The bar is great as well featuring a decent assortment of beverages and drinks (though nothing too fancy) and good service. All you need to do is give your accommodation number to order, which is very convenient (instead of having to sign off each drink.) They also have free water available at the bar (a necessity if you ask me, but nonetheless very welcome)

I also very much liked the communal setting for the dining area. It was a great way to get to meet interesting people (of which there was no shortage of on Blue Lagoon) and partake in lively discussions. The social atmosphere was very open, and did not have the prevalence of close-knit grouping; which can sometimes happen, and which I did notice elsewhere in the Yasawas. The same thing applied to the bonfire sessions on the beach--they were really quite something, and the fire show courtesy of Tim & Justin was great as well.

A word of warning about some of the local, winged wildlife, though: if you are prone to insect-bites you should definitely stock up on repellent (and possibly, ammunition). They do provide it (repellent, that is)--and even had one can sitting at the bar--but there are an impressive amount of those pesky bloodsuckers around. I did not count every single one, but I think it came to about one quadrillion. Some of the (non-bloodlusting creatures, thankfully) were also of a size that looked like they could easily have been able to be carrying passengers. ;) Anyway, all things considered, it is a small price to pay and really is part of the tropical experience.

As for the activities, they are plentiful, and apart from the excellent snorkeling around the reef (which stretches all across the white sandy beach), you have diving (courtesy of Jodie, who also does a great Poi show at night), cave trips (the Sawailau caves are really special, village visits, island hikes, movie nights on the beach, "international crab racing" contests (quirky and fun)--even a sand-bank cricket match on Boxing day featuring war-painted, die-hard brits duelling the aussies over the Ashes trophy; which unfortunately was quickly interrupted by a fierce tropical storm. All good fun though. ;)

Overall, I wish I had stayed at this place a little longer. But at least I know where to go next time I'm in Fiji. :)

Last, but not least: Many thanks to the great staff at Blue Lagoon--Tim, Justin & Melanie, barmasters Luke, Moses--and all the other people which contributed into making this such a great experience and unique place to be, and a big "bula!" to everyone else I encountered while I was there.

Hopefully I'll get to see some of the people I met here again someday!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank Martin A
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Our fiji trip did not get off to a great start. We initially were going to stay at Oarsman's bay resort but they really messed us about and if it wasn't for the very helpful people at Turtle Airways we would have been stranded. We ended up having to stay the first night in Nadi and then catch the sea plane the next day.

I get sea sick so not spending 4.5 hours on a boat was a great relief. The staff at Turtle were great and the experience was amazing. When we landed at Turtle Island we were again supposed to be picked up by Oarsman's taxi but they left us there for an hour. We decided to just go straight to Blue Lagoon. The helpful people at Turtle Island Resort called the Blue Lagoon taxi and they were there in 20mins - fantastic!

Once we arrived we knew we were in the right place. The lagoon is stunning and staff were very helpful in organizing accommodation as we were a day early. We got to meet the managers who were both great and went out of their way to look after the guests. In fact when one of our friends got sick, one of the managers comped a stack of meds to our friend's partner.

We decided stay in one of the deluxe bures right on the beach. The room was nice and cool and the indoor/outdoor bathroom was amazing! We literally stepped out of our room onto a postcard perfect beach! It was a bit strange that we didn't have air conditioning even though we heard the dorm rooms did. Perhaps this is part of the strive to be environmentally friendly but some of the guests from cooler climates struggled a bit. The ceiling was fine for us though.

The food was a really pleasant surprise. It was fresh and the meal plans are a good idea - no worrying about cash or tabs. I felt that there was a good selection of food at lunch and they mixed the set menus up well at night. My wife and I loved meeting and eating with new people - we made some great friends! This was something we weren't expecting and was a great bonus to our trip.

A few of us got absolutely smashed by mosquitoes/sand flies/things that bite. Some of us had 50+ bites even though we used insect repellent. This is a reality in any tropical environment but the dining area seemed to be the common feeding ground for these creatures - beware!

We both snorkeled on the reef and I did some SCUBA diving as well. Visibility wasn't that good mostly due to the wet season. The guides were very helpful none the less. The cave trip was definitely a highlight and a must for anyone who goes out to the Yasawa islands. Some have said it's dangerous but our guides made us all feel quite safe - including one older gentleman who wasn't a strong swimmer. The cave water was crystal clear and the speedboat ride was lots of fun. Perhaps a few more life jackets would make others feel safe.

One of the things I have noticed about some of the other Fijian resorts is an oppresive attitude by management to the locals. I did not get that impression at Blue Lagoon and it was great to see the locals be so involved in everything that we were doing. I also appreciated that things ran on time - not fijian time.

While there are definitely more up market resorts around Fiji I can't imagine there being a better location. We had such a great time and I'm sure we'll be back. Thanks to everyone who looked after us!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank robbieibbor
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Wow I havent the words to describe what a feeling we had and what a great staff the Blue lagoon has! We laughed & laughed so haRD WE CRIED! Never did we expect to stay more than a day since we wanted to island hop the Yasawas...well we ended up staying 6 nights 7 days cuz we just couldn't leave! The attention to detail and the famil;y feel of the staff and the extreme 5 star service Mel & Justin ( Managers ) catered to us was more than welcomed!
Thank u so much everyone @ Blue Lagoon for making it a dream come true!

Glad I was able to make Justin have his first paragliding tandem flight off the Nacula island peak!! Thank u to the islands cheif and police sergeant and school for letting us fly and land on this beautiful island!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2011

We were blown away with our first impressions of the resort, mostly because of the blue and inviting water. We love to snorkel so this was our perfect place to do that.
We were greeted with a song and welcome drink which was nice.

The rooms are lovely and the outdoor shower is amazing, although the only thing I didn't like is that there are no mosquito nets. I basically got eaten alive, and that I can't stand especially since we were previously staying at places with nets so this was frustrating.

The food was like the food you would get in Australia, good quality and tasty. However, we didn't like the communal setting, it would have been nice to have some privacy. We were trying to have a nice quiet holiday and so we dreaded dinner times. You can have a private dinner with your partner on the beach but they will charge you extra.
The food is placed on a table of around 10 people so you really need to try and get your share, another thing we found annoying.
The lovo night was great although food ran out fast and by the time I got to it, the dishes I really wanted to try were all gone.

My partner and I love to kayak and snorkel, the snorkeling was great but the kayaking was terrible. They have dud kayaks which made you go round and round in circles and we raised this issue and they agreed they had similar complaints. It made it a real pain to try and enjoy ourselves and we couldn't get very far.

I experienced a massage which I wish I hadn't paid for, it was just a lot of light rubbing all over the body over no particular muscles. It was basically a warm up for what the masseuses do BEFORE they give you a massage. The poor lady who does the massages also doubles up as the house keeper so they have her doing both roles. It would be nice if they could invest in someone who actually knows massage.

Over all the winner for this place is the beautiful water and coral on the beach, the food, and outdoor shower. The lets downs were the communal dining, no mosquito nets, bad massages, dud kayaks and the place in general lacked fijian style. Everyone is so western trained, I felt like I was on a resort in Australia. We like the fijians being themselves, saying BULA and playing games like they do. It seems they are closely watched here.

I am not sure if we would stay again, maybe just for the beach because the water is so blue and amazing.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Minka_Star
blbresort, Manager at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2011

We would like to thank this reviewer for their feedback! We are glad that they thought their accommodation was lovely as we pride ourselves on making our dorms and villas comfortable for our guests. We do not place mosquito nets into our rooms as not all guests like to sleep with them over the bed, but we do have them available for guests on request. We also spray for insects every 3 days to keep them under control, especially in the rainy season.
Despite this, some guests are just tastier to mosquitos than others, so we also provide mosquito coils in each room and insect repellent is available in our boutique. The joys of living in the tropics!

We are disappointed that this reviewer did not enjoy the communal dining in our restaurant as it is usually one of our guests’ favourite features of the resort. Our restaurant has tables for 8 people on a lovely sand floor with 180 degree views of the beautiful Blue Lagoon. We do offer a private lobster dinner on the beach for guests who would like an intimate dinner for two. This can be organised by our office staff and is very popular for special occasions such as birthdays or anniversary’s.

The reviewer is right, the snorkelling is great! We also provide 2 complimentary Kayaks for our guests to use. They are recreational Kayaks and are designed for the most novice users in the confined bay of Blue Lagoon. They are not open water performance kayaks, which is why we do not charge guests for their use.

Our Housekeeping team have all been trained in Local Fijian Massage which is a relaxation massage and not a therapeutic massage that you may be used to at home. To make our massages a truly relaxing experience, we have just started construction on our new massage hut. We can’t wait until this little “haven of serenity” is finished and our guests can experience a massage nestled within the resort gardens with the sea breeze floating in from the ocean.

We hope that this reviewer will return to Blue Lagoon Beach Resort and see how much this new property has grown since their stay in August. And also… to enjoy that blue and amazing water too!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nacula Island
#2 of 3 in Nacula Island
Yasawa Island Resort and Spa
Yasawa Island Resort and Spa
#1 of 1 in Yasawa Island

Been to Blue Lagoon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!