“Blue Lagoon - a great Island feel!”

Blue Lagoon Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Nacula Island
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Our fiji trip did not get off to a great start. We initially were going to stay at Oarsman's bay resort but they really messed us about and if it wasn't for the very helpful people at Turtle Airways we would have been stranded. We ended up having to stay the first night in Nadi and then catch the sea plane the next day.

I get sea sick so not spending 4.5 hours on a boat was a great relief. The staff at Turtle were great and the experience was amazing. When we landed at Turtle Island we were again supposed to be picked up by Oarsman's taxi but they left us there for an hour. We decided to just go straight to Blue Lagoon. The helpful people at Turtle Island Resort called the Blue Lagoon taxi and they were there in 20mins - fantastic!

Once we arrived we knew we were in the right place. The lagoon is stunning and staff were very helpful in organizing accommodation as we were a day early. We got to meet the managers who were both great and went out of their way to look after the guests. In fact when one of our friends got sick, one of the managers comped a stack of meds to our friend's partner.

We decided stay in one of the deluxe bures right on the beach. The room was nice and cool and the indoor/outdoor bathroom was amazing! We literally stepped out of our room onto a postcard perfect beach! It was a bit strange that we didn't have air conditioning even though we heard the dorm rooms did. Perhaps this is part of the strive to be environmentally friendly but some of the guests from cooler climates struggled a bit. The ceiling was fine for us though.

The food was a really pleasant surprise. It was fresh and the meal plans are a good idea - no worrying about cash or tabs. I felt that there was a good selection of food at lunch and they mixed the set menus up well at night. My wife and I loved meeting and eating with new people - we made some great friends! This was something we weren't expecting and was a great bonus to our trip.

A few of us got absolutely smashed by mosquitoes/sand flies/things that bite. Some of us had 50+ bites even though we used insect repellent. This is a reality in any tropical environment but the dining area seemed to be the common feeding ground for these creatures - beware!

We both snorkeled on the reef and I did some SCUBA diving as well. Visibility wasn't that good mostly due to the wet season. The guides were very helpful none the less. The cave trip was definitely a highlight and a must for anyone who goes out to the Yasawa islands. Some have said it's dangerous but our guides made us all feel quite safe - including one older gentleman who wasn't a strong swimmer. The cave water was crystal clear and the speedboat ride was lots of fun. Perhaps a few more life jackets would make others feel safe.

One of the things I have noticed about some of the other Fijian resorts is an oppresive attitude by management to the locals. I did not get that impression at Blue Lagoon and it was great to see the locals be so involved in everything that we were doing. I also appreciated that things ran on time - not fijian time.

While there are definitely more up market resorts around Fiji I can't imagine there being a better location. We had such a great time and I'm sure we'll be back. Thanks to everyone who looked after us!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank robbieibbor
There are newer reviews for Blue Lagoon Beach Resort

Reviewed January 24, 2011

Wow I havent the words to describe what a feeling we had and what a great staff the Blue lagoon has! We laughed & laughed so haRD WE CRIED! Never did we expect to stay more than a day since we wanted to island hop the Yasawas...well we ended up staying 6 nights 7 days cuz we just couldn't leave! The attention to detail and the famil;y feel of the staff and the extreme 5 star service Mel & Justin ( Managers ) catered to us was more than welcomed!
Thank u so much everyone @ Blue Lagoon for making it a dream come true!

Glad I was able to make Justin have his first paragliding tandem flight off the Nacula island peak!! Thank u to the islands cheif and police sergeant and school for letting us fly and land on this beautiful island!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2011

We were blown away with our first impressions of the resort, mostly because of the blue and inviting water. We love to snorkel so this was our perfect place to do that.
We were greeted with a song and welcome drink which was nice.

The rooms are lovely and the outdoor shower is amazing, although the only thing I didn't like is that there are no mosquito nets. I basically got eaten alive, and that I can't stand especially since we were previously staying at places with nets so this was frustrating.

The food was like the food you would get in Australia, good quality and tasty. However, we didn't like the communal setting, it would have been nice to have some privacy. We were trying to have a nice quiet holiday and so we dreaded dinner times. You can have a private dinner with your partner on the beach but they will charge you extra.
The food is placed on a table of around 10 people so you really need to try and get your share, another thing we found annoying.
The lovo night was great although food ran out fast and by the time I got to it, the dishes I really wanted to try were all gone.

My partner and I love to kayak and snorkel, the snorkeling was great but the kayaking was terrible. They have dud kayaks which made you go round and round in circles and we raised this issue and they agreed they had similar complaints. It made it a real pain to try and enjoy ourselves and we couldn't get very far.

I experienced a massage which I wish I hadn't paid for, it was just a lot of light rubbing all over the body over no particular muscles. It was basically a warm up for what the masseuses do BEFORE they give you a massage. The poor lady who does the massages also doubles up as the house keeper so they have her doing both roles. It would be nice if they could invest in someone who actually knows massage.

Over all the winner for this place is the beautiful water and coral on the beach, the food, and outdoor shower. The lets downs were the communal dining, no mosquito nets, bad massages, dud kayaks and the place in general lacked fijian style. Everyone is so western trained, I felt like I was on a resort in Australia. We like the fijians being themselves, saying BULA and playing games like they do. It seems they are closely watched here.

I am not sure if we would stay again, maybe just for the beach because the water is so blue and amazing.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Minka_Star
blbresort, Manager at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2011

We would like to thank this reviewer for their feedback! We are glad that they thought their accommodation was lovely as we pride ourselves on making our dorms and villas comfortable for our guests. We do not place mosquito nets into our rooms as not all guests like to sleep with them over the bed, but we do have them available for guests on request. We also spray for insects every 3 days to keep them under control, especially in the rainy season.
Despite this, some guests are just tastier to mosquitos than others, so we also provide mosquito coils in each room and insect repellent is available in our boutique. The joys of living in the tropics!

We are disappointed that this reviewer did not enjoy the communal dining in our restaurant as it is usually one of our guests’ favourite features of the resort. Our restaurant has tables for 8 people on a lovely sand floor with 180 degree views of the beautiful Blue Lagoon. We do offer a private lobster dinner on the beach for guests who would like an intimate dinner for two. This can be organised by our office staff and is very popular for special occasions such as birthdays or anniversary’s.

The reviewer is right, the snorkelling is great! We also provide 2 complimentary Kayaks for our guests to use. They are recreational Kayaks and are designed for the most novice users in the confined bay of Blue Lagoon. They are not open water performance kayaks, which is why we do not charge guests for their use.

Our Housekeeping team have all been trained in Local Fijian Massage which is a relaxation massage and not a therapeutic massage that you may be used to at home. To make our massages a truly relaxing experience, we have just started construction on our new massage hut. We can’t wait until this little “haven of serenity” is finished and our guests can experience a massage nestled within the resort gardens with the sea breeze floating in from the ocean.

We hope that this reviewer will return to Blue Lagoon Beach Resort and see how much this new property has grown since their stay in August. And also… to enjoy that blue and amazing water too!

Reviewed January 13, 2011

and then move onto the amazing people.
I have stayed in some amazing places and never felt more compelled to write a review.
People were rebooking and extending stays whilst we were there and we will be going back as well.
This was the most amazing Christmas and New Year holiday and we cant thank Justin, Mel the staff and people of Nacula enough.
We stayed 15 nights in a Beach Front Villa and you opened the doors to the Blue Lagoon every morning, photo's do not do it justice.
You can swim 24/7, the beach good (white sand) and water amazing. The snorkelling was excellent. We took noodle chairs to float around and relax in and they got a workout. We come from a town with amazing beaches and waterways at our finger tips (Newcastle/ Port Stephens AUS) but this was a truly unique experience.
Cricket on the sandbar Boxing Day, Fireworks for NYE, Cave trip, Island trip, Village trip, went to church, Choir and Meke visits, fishing, the bakery tour (cake was awesome and the lady who made it really special), basket and voi voi weaving has never been so much fun (thanks Teresia), Vitilli and his coconut demo's, International Crab Racing, Movie nights, Padi Diving with Jodie (the midnight glowing Poi-Poi lessons on the beach were a huge hit! Jodie is the Mistress of the Poi!), the fire poi's came out for beach bon fire nights and Tim he is the master, Hike for views (guided or at your leisure). The list goes on with this place.
The food for $70 fijian a day is exceptional. V and staff created an amazing Lovo Christmas and New Year feast. Believe me you do not go hungry, the meals are large and plenty for everyone. They bake there own bread and pastries. The bar is stocked with plenty of grog, wine, bubbles, spirits and a good range of beer.
The friendships we have created with people from all over the world and of course the island will be lasting. We also befriended the chief's puppy and was sad to leave him behind.
We usually go for the whole couples retreat thing but this place is small enough to make it feel homely. Our Villa was great, nice open air bathroom and we did not miss air conditioning at all.
We boated up and sea planed back. Flying back was really worth it for the views.
We did not hear one complaint about BLBR only hundreds of positives and if you are wondering where to stay in Fiji.....this is the place.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank M-n-M66
Reviewed January 11, 2011

On a positive note, our deluxe garden villa was very spacious and clean. The outdoor shower and bathroom was a nice touch.
From our hammock, we could still see the sea, though i would recommend the seaview villas as they have absolute beachfront position and come with their own sun loungers (important as there were never enough for everyone else staying at the resort!)
The food was excellent and plentiful and the trip to the Blue Lagoon caves was enjoyable.
On a negative note, the beach is actually quite narrow with a steep incline in places and there were not enough sun loungers for guests.
Oarsmans Bay beach resort is right next door and shares the same beach, so it does not feel every exclusive.
At meal times, there were only a few tables for couples, so you had to sit at large communal tables much of the time. There was a strong emphasis i found on doing communal organised activities.
We did enjoy the trip to the local village and when the choir came to sing at the resort.
As the resort offers backpacker dorms and accommodation as well as villas, i think it appeals to people looking for a communal atmosphere rather than to couples looking for privacy and tranquillity.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
10  Thank mmatty1
blbresort, Manager at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2011

As always, we greatly appreciate any reviews placed by guests and this reviewer has made some great observations.
The resort has intentionally set a theme of communal dining for evening meals as a way to bring together a group of strangers and more often than not, as many reviewers have commented, have you leave as friends. Having said that, we know that while on holidays it is nice to have some quiet, alone time, so the smaller tables are always available for breakfast and lunch. The activities also run as groups for the main reason that we are focused on limiting our impact on the environment, with noise and traffic in general, also, we feel that it is just more fun when in a group. Though low impact sole activities, such as private hiking, fishing and diving can be scheduled anytime.
The beach incline can go through several stages a year with seasonal tides and nature been in control, but after some much needed rain in December, along with king tides, once more we have a lovely, wide 700 metre beach in which you can decide to run, walk, laze and in any case, just enjoy.

Reviewed January 8, 2011

I have been in the travel business for 25 years and have been all over the world in every kind of resort. I had so much fun at Blue Lagoon and made friends there I will keep for a lifetime. I went by myself there and it was fine...I kept extending my stay and so did everyone else I was with!!!
The food is fabulous..the staff is friendly...the managers are wonderful..the hike and blue lagoon trips are so special...I could have spent a month there and never been bored. I have stayed at Octopus and loved that too but Blue Lagoon is extra special because it is Octopus on a smaller scale.
If you love scuba...Jodie is the best in the business...she can make you a certified diver or higher if you want and you will have so much fun being with her. There were so many special people while I was there..from movie stars to yoga instructors..and even and Italian doctor comming from Anactica!!
I can't even describe how much fun I had but I will remember it forever....

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank oceanrunninggirl
Reviewed January 4, 2011

We stayed a week at the Blue Lagoon as part of a 3 week honeymmon in Fiji - we so wished we had booked all 3 weeks here! This resort was incredible. From the moment we arrived we knew we were somewhere special.

We had a deluxe beachfront villa which is totally worth the extra cost (for a honeymoon anyway) as you get your own sun loungers and hammock and the beach is literally stumbling distance from your front door. The beach is amazing - sparkling blue with tropical fish right at the shore and excellent snorkeling right from the beach.

Food is charged at an all inclusive rate which makes budgeting a lot easier and we found the food to be excellent every day. Cocktails are cheap too!

We flew in by seaplane (Turtle Airways) which operates just near Nadi Airport. It was totally worth the extra cost as we got there in 30min (unlike the 5 hours by boat - which we did on the way back!). If you can time it with your flights, this may also avoid an extra nights accommodation in boring old Nadi, so well worth it. The plane lands at Turtle Island which is a short boat ride to Nacula Island, but the boys were ready to pick us up as soon as we landed.

We loved everything about this place... the food, the staff (incredible!), the quirky entertainment, the trips and activities (mostly free). It was soooooo hard to leave! We are already planning our return trip!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Oarsman's Bay Lodge
Oarsman's Bay Lodge
#2 of 3 in Nacula Island
Mantaray Island Resort

Been to Blue Lagoon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!