“Incredible Beauty - just know what you want”

Blue Lagoon Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Nacula Island
Reviewed September 18, 2010

There are many amazing things about this resort...it's stunning, the water is various shades of aqua, the reef is just off the beach. You can snorkel everyday and barely leave your beach chair. It's a place like no other. You feel a bit part of a "family" while you're there. The optional activities are appealing and the ones we did were great. There is some kind of optional event every evening (crab racing, movie on the beach, etc) which creates a unique and lovable atmosphere.
However, you've got to love the place for what it is. Know what to expect. It is not a romantic escape nor does it provide you with many options for anything. Our garden villa was adequate but the bed was nothing special and the linen was much like a hostel. Our villa was the only one without an outdoor bathroom and ours had seen better days. Make sure you get the outdoor bathroom!
All meals are communal (tables of 8). Breakfast is a very simple continental. You've got a few options for lunch (although they are the same everyday). Dinner is served with only one option. If you don't like what they're serving, there is nothing else to eat. There is nothing provided outside of meals (in the meal plan). Snacks for purchase are very very limited. Oh and the fridge doesn't keep the beer (or anything else for that matter) cold enough. In fact, they will hand you a warm beer unless you object. And they definitely need to invest in a new blender because the current one doesn't do the job. No ice cold drinks here. Espresso drinks are available but it's taken as an annoying request by most staff. Don't expect service to your beach chair. Ice cream would be a nice addition :)
In terms of transport to the island, we took the seaplane (Turtle Airways) which we would HIGHLY recommend. It saves you heaps of time (well worth the expense) and you get a chance to see Fiji from the sky! Absolutely amazing.
There are so many amazing reviews about this place and so we had high expectations which weren't quite met. This place is special in it's own way. If the management improved on some of the above things I think it could become spectacular.

6  Thank keykos
Write a ReviewReviews (1,452)

Reviewed September 17, 2010

My adult daughter and I chose Blue Lagoon Resort based on previous reviews and we were not disappointed. It was everything we had hoped for and more! The pristine beach and snorkelling right off the shore line was amazing. The food was delicious and catered for all dietary requirements (not that we had any) and serving sizes very generous. There is a good variety of activities which caters for all ages and degrees of energy/fitness and you can always find a nice quiet spot to chill out with a book on a hammock, bean bag or under a shady tree if that is what you feel like. The Fijian staff were incredibly friendly and lots of fun. Fijian Meke night was a highlight for me with local villagers performing in their traditional dress followed by a feast 'lovo style'. We chose a deluxe garden villa and the room was simple, spacious and comfortable with overhead fans. The outdoor shower was a treat! Although we didnt have any young children with us on this trip, we would definitely recommend it for young families. The beach is so safe and from observing the children who were there and how much fun they had and how well they were catered for, I am recommending it to my other children to take their children. There is no need for a pool when there is a giant blue natural pool full of colourful fish right at your doorstep. I cant wait to go back again.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed September 16, 2010

My husband and I stayed in 6 different places in the Yasawas. Blue Lagoon Resort was my absolute favorite of them all.

The beach is gorgeous with soft, white sand and the reef with beautiful coral and lots of fish is right in front of you. This is one of the few places where you can swim and snorkel at all tides, which was very important to us.

The resort is incredible. We stayed at a deluxe garden villa with an outdoor bathroom. There was a roof over the sink and the toilet, while the hot shower with the big showerhead was absolutely open air. When we were inside our bure, I spent a lot of time in this beautiful bathroom. Just couldn't get enough of it. The bure was beautifully decorated with tasteful colors and in the simple Fijian style. There was an armoir with plenty of space for clothing and luggage. The bed was very comfortable.

And the food was sooo good. There was even ham on the breakfast buffet. Great dishes to choose from at lunch and always a nice surprise for dinner like an Indian curry buffet or something else interesting. Great deserts, too.

I enjoyed the bar a lot. The whole bar area just had the right size, not too big and not too small. Great for meeting other people.

The Kiwi managers/owners Chris and Kylie are both such delightful people. Chris is a great coordinator, and we had so much fun with the after dinner evening entertainment. The staff is so friendly and helpful, too.

Unfortunately, we had only booked for 3 nights. I could have stayed forever at this magical South Pacific paradise. Book very early, because this place is always booked. The word must have gotten out just how great this resort is. Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed September 16, 2010

I've been there for 7 nights, and it was a amazing time! I'm a backpacker and stayed in the dorm room with AC.
The food was really great (much greetings to the cookers couple :-)) The beach was the best beach where I've ever been. Please have a walk on low tide to the sandbank! The austalian family and the full stuff team were always very friendly. If I come back to the Fiji Island, I'm dead certain that I would go to this place again!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Gaensebluemchen1111
Reviewed September 16, 2010

This was a beautiful spot for a beach resort in the Yasawa Islands...no doubt about it. Mostly well-managed and "Cruise-Directored" by resident Kiwis, it had all the bells and whistles you'd expect of a resort that could be anywhere in the world. In other words, you didn't even know you were in Fiji. My main complaint must be expressed through "praising with faint grips." To my taste the owner/operators were quite smug in their expectations that they had created the "highlight" of the Islands. My comments they were not even interested in as they had no feedback form nor comment box. They encourage water conservation and then hook up the hot water to the wrong side of the control so you run the water til it gets hot which, of course, it never does. I have been to several Fiji/Other Islands in the South Pacific and this place definitely has the worse fly and insect problem I have encountered. And the Baked Veal was nearly inedible. Baked Veal in Fiji????.....I hope you get my point. Go to a local-run "resort" like Waya Lailai....at least you'll know what culture you are actually visiting.

Reviewed September 9, 2010

Don't let the 5 hour ferry ride put you off, it's worth every minute.
Absolutely unbelievable, can't rate this highly enough, would move there in a heartbeat, need we say more?

I actually cried when I left.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2010

The most fantastic resort we have ever stayed at! We went with a 9 month old for our first overseas trip together. The accomodation was beautiful - simple but wonderful, especially the outdoor shower. The location is incredible - stunning and perfect for lazing about on a hammock, snorkeling or taking part in the numerous activities if you should wish to participate. The nanny service is fabulous (Kitty is a miracle worker!!) and gives us tired parents a well deserved rest. It is difficult enough when you are travelling with littlies to attend the nightly dinners that they serve but the resort staff were fantastic. They gave us the option to eat on our veranda even delivering it to us. We were so grateful for this option as it gave us an opportunity to eat together rather than having to do a quick dinner dash with one having to mind the little one. All I can say is that they have every eventuality covered. The food is fantastic - lots of choice for a weeks' stay. Hats off to the resort and it's staff - you are wonderful, truly hospitable people - please stay as a small friendly resort and we will be seeing you all again very soon!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
#1 of 1 in Yasawa Island
Botaira Resort
Botaira Resort
#1 of 1 in Naviti Island

Been to Blue Lagoon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!