“Fantastic snorkeling and caves”

Blue Lagoon Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Nacula Island
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

The reef is amazing ... So many fish!
We stayed here after two nights at the sister resort Octopus on Waya Island. Nacula Island is hotter and drier than Waya so Blue Lagoon is more of a sandy beach stay than lush garden resort. At first we didn't find it as nice as Octopus but then we discovered the reef! AMAZING! So many fish. I wish we had more time to explore. Also the trip to the caves is awesome. You swim under water into a dark cavern. Sooo cool.
The food here is also delicious.
Only suggestion is that a welcoming reception area is set up for when guests arrive, where they can sit and put their luggage down while waiting to be taken to their rooms. When we arrived it was hot and we were loaded up with luggage in our arms and trying to hold and drink the welcome drink while just wanting to drop everything!
Oh and two days is not long enough ... Next time I will be back for much longer to enjoy all the activities and the reef!

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank VanessaHarris1
blbresort, Manager at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

We are so pleased that this reviewer had the chance to explore the reefs and also, get a feel for Blue Lagoon Beach Resort. The resort is only 3 years old and thrives on the contstant feedback and comments of our guests to help fine tune anything that we may have missed, or indeed, implement some great suggestions.
On this note, we are happy to report the completion of a long awaited welcome area that not only provides shelter, but also a great area to collect your luggage and allow us to welcome you to the resort, and in style, with your cold fruit drink and a team member letting you know which room you are in and all the important things about your time on the island. We hope to see this reviewer again and to show off all these great changes. Vinaka

Write a ReviewReviews (1,452)

Reviewed November 21, 2012

A great place to have a week of relaxing on one of the best beaches I've ever been to. You'll meet a lot of new people from all over the world, from backpackers to just married couples. :)

I've done almost every activity, diving, night snorkeling, visiting the cove, etc. I can recommend all of them. Every day I went snorkeling right on the beach, you'll see every day different fish, it's one of the best snorkeling places I've been to.

The food was one of the best I've eaten in Fiji, the chef is really really good. But what seperates this resort from others is that you will eat every dinner with different people and thats a lot of fun.

The service is very friendly and very helpfull. The only thing that bothered me a bit, was that it took a week to fix the internet, but maybe a week without internet wasnt so bad after all :)

Btw. The best dormbeds ever and they even have AC!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank lee11lee
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This place was my favourite. We had a premium beach front villa which was set right on the beach with private beach chairs. The rooms where stylish with wooden floors and a huge modern outdoor bathroom with a shower in a garden courtyard which was amazing. The food was fantastic, it was a food package FJ$89 pp and everything was delicious. Sand floor restaurant with large tables which encouraged mingling of the guests. The snorkelling was amazing with so many fish, we saw many octopus, the coral isn't great close to shore but the further you get out the better it gets. Lots of activities including a shark feeding dive. The caves trip is a must at FJ$49pp and swimming through to the second. cave was a great experience. We also did the snorkeling trip at $20pp and it was fantastic they took us to a place where there was so much variety of coral and so many fish. We saw a sea snake, a lobster and a group of over 40 clown fish. We had a 16 month old and she loved the beach, it is calm and great for the kids. Babysitters were $5 per hour. All the staff were lovely, and they ran nightly activities after dinner such as crab racing, movie night at survivor.

Room Tip: Deluxe beachfront bure - you wont regret it if staying soon request rooms away from the dive shop a...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank teegs64
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I've often been to Octopus - the sister resort of Blue Lagoon, but never came all the way up to Blue Lagoon. I always heard it was better that Octopus but I would disagree on this. If you have the choice between the two, go to Octopus. Having said that, the place is lovely. My 60+ mum had travelled from the UK to visit me in Fiji and it was perfect for us - quiet, beautiful beaches, relaxing. The food choices were good - the lunches were a highlight. However, the food was not as good as Octopus. A few cons - the reef around the resort is practically dead, so if you're going for the snorkelling you might be a little disappointed. Apparently if you take the snorkelling trip out of the resort, the corals and fish are much better. Also, it really is not cheap for drinks and we ended up paying a small fortune on just a few bottles of wine and cocktails. I'm used to fun bonfires on the beach at resorts around Suva, but on 'party night' when the bonfire was lit, it was all quite sterile - with people sitting at a distance on chairs and the promised band never played.

But the staff are super friendly and helpful, the cave visit is a must if you are a confidence swimmer (I am not and still loved it but found it a little unnerving being in the water in the dark and unable to touch the floor), the cinema night was fun although there wasn't enough popcorn to go around, and we got a free upgrade to a beach front villa. Recommended if you are after some Fijian beauty and quiet time.

Room Tip: The beach front villas are worth the extra money. Your own piece of beach to relax on instead of hav...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Fijilady

We are pleased to see that this reviewer chose to explore further north than they normally have, and were able to experience a different beach and also some different style resorts. The caves are certainly not for everyone and the chambers are indeed inside a cavenous rock formation that as with most caves and rock pools, has a deep lagoon style pool. It is one of the natural wonders of Fiji and considered by all locals in the yasawas to be the biggest attraction as you have the chance to share the legend of the Cave God.
We try to get most things right and it seems that the popcorn was that popular that it went very quickly, but we'll work on preparing more next time, afterall, a movie and popcorn go hand in hand. The ambience of the resort tends to change daily and we have certainly seen quite a few parties and late nights at the resort, so perhaps a second visit may bring a different experience.
But over all, we are pleased to hear that your mum enjoyed her stay and also that you enjoyed the upgrade in to the Beachfront Villa.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stopped on our way back to Seattle from a 5 month experience abroad in Australia. We stayed in a Garden Villa, it was very nice. However if your expecting a 4 star resort like you would find in Hawaii or Mexico this isn't it! In my opinion it is much better, its a more personal experience by the end of your stay the staff will know your name, everyone is very friendly and ready to help. My Girlfriend was/is terrified of bugs and she was very unsure of the sleeping situations. We had no problems with one exception, I found a cockroach in the outdoor bathroom one morning, but hey its an open air bathroom what do you expect!? A lot of people we talked to where worried about the dinning style (usually buffet style). The food type/style may be new to you, but I strongly encourage you to give it a try, it was very good, I didn't find a single thing I didn't like.

Lastly if you are into snorkeling and diving this is the place for you... the reef directly off of the beach really is world class. I have been diving in Hawaii, Mexico, Belize, and the Great Barrier Reef. And the reef at blue lagoon really does rank right at the top of my list! lots of marine life, millions of fish, rays, turtles, small reef sharks, and tuna!

Oh and one last thing the seaplane ride is definitely a must do as a mode of transportation, at least one way! We took the Seaplane there and the Catamaran back and I believe it was the best of both worlds we saw the islands from the air and water!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris S
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I initially booked to stay at Blue Lagoon for 3 weeks after reading online reviews. What I never anticipated was that I would find a place I could love so much as to stay for over 3 months.

The beauty of this island is something that can only be fully appreciated when experienced. Walk a few minutes and you will find yourself at your own private beach or at the top of the hill overlooking the reef and surrounding islands. If you wake up early you can catch the sunrise on one side and the moon on the other.

This is a perfect place to just relax and let any stress melt away. Activity wise, if you do nothing else, I recommend going to the caves and swimming through to the second cave, the echoes of “BULA”, will be long felt and remembered. I did not go diving during this stay, but saw some video footage which looked quite spectacular. Swimming out in front of the resort to explore the reef was a feast for the eyes, with something different to discover every day.

The staff at Blue Lagoon are all very friendly and the food at is tasty and varied with the chefs catering for a range of dietary needs. The rooms are all clean and comfortable and highlighted by beautiful flower decorations replenished every day.

Room Tip: If waking up to a view of the ocean is what you desire, then you may need to book early.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank Kathrynkate
Reviewed November 4, 2012

WOW! This place was the highlight of our Fiji honeymoon adventure. The staff is very friendly and have a full day of optional activities planned daily (most of which are free of charge). Our beach front villa was gorgeous and quiet with a hammock and two shaded sun chairs on the sand. The best snorkeling is right off the beach, just walked into the water and coral/fish galore! On our covered deck was also seating to enjoy the evening when the tide came in. Toilet/sink is outdoor yet covered, shower is not covered but high walls and completely private. Enjoyed a complimentary honeymoon massage with local coconut oil that was great.

The food was what really surprised us--exceptionally delicious, especially since it wouldn't need to be for people to come to this beautiful place. Lots of vegetarian friendly options on the lunch menu and accommodating at dinner when the main fare isn't veg. They were sensitive to food allergies as well. Would recommend bringing in some of your own bottled water if you can spare the room in your luggage as at $7 FJD per bottle it can add up quick if you're there for several days. Outside of bottled water/soda/alcohol/ice cream all food is included in your stay which made it handy to keep track of costs.

Went at the end of October prior to the start of their rainy season and had all sunshine! Mid-80s entire stay. We did the morning hike (free) and want to point out this is not a novice hike! My husband loved it (brought the right shoes); I however struggled and had wrong footwear. If you're not typically sporty--stay on the beach and relax. Also did the trip to lime stone caves ($49 FJD) where scene from the original Blue Lagoon movie was taped. Interesting however if you're not into cold water, tunnels, caves, and a slight feeling of claustrophobia this may not be your tour.

Two main options to get to Nacula Island: Yasawa Flier (5.5 hr boat ride) or Turtle Airways (35 min sea plane + 15 min boat xfer). We did the sea plane and the views are definitely worth the additional price. Plus, we didn't 'waste' a day on a boat ride up.

Honeymoon, lavish getaway, any reason at all--you will love your time here!

Room Tip: Splurge for the beach villa rather than a 'regular' one for the reserved beach chairs/hammoc...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Yasawa Island
Botaira Resort
Botaira Resort
#1 of 1 in Naviti Island

Been to Blue Lagoon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!