“Great fun, accommodating staff!”
Review of Big Blue Divers

Big Blue Divers
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great fun, accommodating staff!”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We were in the Seychelles for a wedding and as such couldn't get as much diving done as we wanted to. However, the diving that we did do with BBD was great.

The team were great, friendly and helpful and tried to help us out with hotel pickups etc. All our gear was loaded and prepared for us. All we had to do was turn up, get on a boat, kit up and dive.

I would recommend BBD to anyone visiting seychelles with the intention of diving. They are a little further up the road from other dive shops, but from what I saw this makes for nice, small dive groups. Next time I am back in the Seychelles, I will be going straight to Big Blue Divers!

Visited August 2013

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
Brooklyn, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Inexperienced staff, subpar dive”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We were so disappointed with our dives here at Big Blue Divers, both off the boat and on the boat. We booked a morning, two tank dive ahead of time with Elizabeth, who was courteous and prompt in our correspondence. Because we were from the States, she made us wire her the payment for the dive which cost us an extra $30. However, when we get there, her staff scheduled us with another couple who had already booked a dive to the Marine Park that cost an extra15 euro per person. I don't mind supporting the preservation of any natural park, what I do mind is that the shop offered no other option other than having us pay extra money even though it was their error. In addition to the error, we waited 45 minutes beyond our scheduled leave time because the dive master, Guily (sp?)who I realized is the owner and Elizabeth's husband, was over 45 minutes late to our dive. With no apologies for his tardiness, we left for the boat. We get to the Marine Park to have him tell us nothing about what we are going to see and sends in this very sweet, but inexperienced diver to lead us thorough the park. The dive was fine, but what really angered me was as we surfaced, Guily was smoking and as he came to help us into the boat, he threw his cigarette into the water!! It's a protected space! One that cost me an extra 15 euro to get into and he's going to litter in such a blatant and disgusting way. I was so appalled. It was incredibly unprofessional and a slap in the face to the beautiful sealife of the Seychelles. After that, I just wanted to go home. I wish I had read more reviews before booking with Big Blue. I feel like I wasted a lot of money though it does seem that if you are lucky to get Elizabeth, your experience is much different.

Visited August 2013
5 Thank Laura M
Manama, Bahrain
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Best decision ever”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I did my PADI open waters dives with Big Blue Waters. They are a very organized and extremely professional set up with a surprisingly friendly attitude. But make no mistake. They are very thorough in their approach. For the sake of a more accurate review, I tried to skip just one simple “skill” and the message from the instructor was loud and clear. “ I cant sign you off man...you can go elsewhere…”. The whole team.. from Elizabeth the CEO to Sage the driver are extremely friendly but no nonsence kind of a unit. The open water dives were so well planned that I did not have any fear to get into water in rather rough seas on my 4th dive.
My instructor JP is any budding diver’s dream. Goes through the plan and the checklist thoroughly and was there for me all the time. He is 95% of the confidence required to enjoy amazing scenes underwater. I must say I am not as fit as I should be for a diver. But JP knew exactly how much to push. I was really tired after the dives but was never too exhausted.
Been the reviewer I am, I also observe the competitors. One thing I couldn’t ignore was the approach of the boat crew and BBD. They actively participate in divers launch and to recovery. For a novice diver with a 10klio lead weight in the vest, this is as critical as the dive itself. I also noticed some other teams.. the boatman was having a nap while the divers and the diver masters struggled to get the divers out of water.
While I did my diving, my little girl was snorkeling with Elizabeth. That’s her highlight of the vacation.
All in all I had a very satisfying experience and have no problem in giving them a 5 star rating.
One thing to note. There are lot of dive centres around with confusingly similar names. The BBD is probably the last one when you drive along the beach.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Lakmin S
Windhoek, Namibia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The Best Diving Center”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Me and my daughter was on a 10 day diving holiday in December 2012. My daughter still had to complete her 4 open water dives to qualify. We could not have chosen a better dive center. Liz completed my daughter's 4 open water dives and due to her attentive instruction I have a well prepared and self confident diving buddy.

The diving in Seychelles is great. Liz chooses the dive sites based on the skill level and experience of divers that will be in the group.

A huge 'thumbs up' for Liz and her team. Next time I will bring the whole family.

Final word: Beware of other dive centers dotting Beau Vallon who does not have the years of experience and try to benefit from the great service provided by the only and best BIG BLUE DIVERS.

Visited December 2012
Mumbai (Bombay), India
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 137 helpful votes
“Mind the details.....”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

We had a good experience with Liz and the team from the Big Blue divers but some things were not ok and so it's better that I inform you about the stuff you need to watch out for.
Other than Liz, the dive team is very young and inexperienced, so if you want an experienced divemaster to come along please specify that in advance.
For the week that we were diving with Big Blue, we were relegated to the junior staff. We were all experienced divers so it was ok. But it could be scary for someone less experienced. Also remember that you will have to pay extra for dive sites that are located away from the main marina. We were not expecting that so had an unpleasant surprise at the end of the trip.
Also the amount of time you spend hanging around waiting for other guests to arrive or depart is an incredible waste of valuable time more so when you want to pack in as many dives as possible and this has been agreed in advance. The schedules are planned to suit the dive company and you could be going back and forth to the harbor for pickups and drop offs. The diving then tends to get less attention!
A bit frustrating for devoted divers who have flown halfway across the planet just to dive in Seychellian waters. There is great diving in Seychelles, the waters are spectacular and Big Blue is a good dive company but just make sure you have all the i's dotted and the T's crossed before you show up.

Visited November 2012