“Average restaurant and Barman with bad attitude...”
Review of Boat House

Boat House
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
South Africa
“Average restaurant and Barman with bad attitude...”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Have visited the Boathouse twice over the past week, as my husband had thoroughly enjoyed his Sashimi tuna Starter on our first visit We had popped in for something light, so the tuna starter was a good choice. I had the Avocado Salad, which was fine but a little on the small side, considering it was the same price as the Tuna starter. Second visit...Tuna Starter for my husband, while I had fish in a Passion fruit / granadilla sauce, served with rice and salad. Husband enjoyed his Tuna again, while I received a tiny piece of fish, accompanied by a mountain of clumpy rice and a small mound of .....something. Not sure if it was cabbage...had no real flavor, but I assume that was my salad. Couldn't taste any passion fruit/granadilla in the sauce for my fish...so wasn't impressed at all with my meal.

We had ordered a bottle of wine for the table but landed up with only one wine glass, as my
husband had started off with a beer. Our waitress was rather busy with a large table of diners and didn't seem to be reaching our table any time soon, so I turned around to face the bar counter directly next to our table and asked the barman behind the counter if we could please have another wineglass. His response was "I haven't started work yet." The glasses were almost touching his back....so am not too sure why this was such a unreasonable request. My husband later asked the same barman for a takeaway drink, as we were going to sit on the beach directly across the road. The barman responded with saying he had no disposable cups...even though we had sat watching him serve a group of children, with disposable cups...which they then took across the road to the beach! Within seconds of this strange response from him...a female waitress came and reached behind the bar counter and handed my husband the 2 disposable cups! What a strange barman!...Left us feeling irritated and shall not be bothering to visit the Boathouse again.

• Visited August 2014

• Turkish first
uae
“never has change”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

it is a very quaint venue and looks fab - the buffet didnt seem appealing at all. everytime we went - the staff never had chnage so the only option was to purchase more- very smart!

Visited August 2014
Bucharest, Romania
“Average food, lacks local charm”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We went to the Creole buffet one evening as we wanted to be able to taste multiple dishes of the local cuisine. Was pretty excited about it as it was recommended to us by the hotel. The price was 400 rs / person without drinks, which is around 27 eur. There were plenty of options and we tried most of them but were not impressed at all, the food is pretty average. For example, the fried bread fruit (a lot like french fries), which when we tasted at a beach bar, not even in a restaurant, was really good and full of flavor, here was hard as a rock and had no taste at all.
The price for the buffet is ok if you are really hungry but we prefer smaller portions of good food rather than all you can eat average quality. The place isn't very nice either and it has a diner / canteen like feel, which is not so nice as it lacks the local atmosphere. Also, surprisingly, the place looks better in daylight than it did in the evening, when it lost its charm. It is a pity as the position is really good, just across the road from Beau Vallon beach, and the staff are nice and friendly.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank PatriciaArb86
Manama, Bahrain
“Looked Terrible!”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

This seemed very recommended & were excited about the prospect of a visit here, unfortunately the reality looked somewhat different. When we turned up, the place was empty (bar a few locals) & we enquired about the Buffet. a friendly guy approached us after a few minutes stood around wondering if we were in the right place. He then showed us the 'Buffet' food that was on offer. It Honestly looked like it had been there for Days, nothing was marked as to what it was & the waiter was only able to give us a vague description as to what it contained. Seeing our somewhat disappointed faces he offered to give us a discount on the buffet , but to be honest i wouldn't have dined there for Free, being the 2nd day of our Holiday i was not gonna risk, what looked like 'Guaranteed' Stomach trouble. Normally i would feel bad leaving such a bad review on Food i had not tasted, but this is a call to the management to seriously up their game.

Visited July 2014
4 Thank DaveDJUK
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“A "Must Visit" Restaurant”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

My wife and I returned to Beau Vallon for a second trip in July 2014. It was a pleasure to run into the owner, Robert, on the beach across from the restaurant catching fish out of the ocean. He invited us back to try some local preparations of the fish at the restaurant and we were not disappointed! We also came one evening for the Creole Buffet which should not be missed. This is a great local favorite for tourists and locals alike. You will not be disappointed and you will likely make some new friends. Enjoy!

Visited July 2014