“Perfection, beauty...One Love!”

Castara Retreats
Toronto, Canada
“Perfection, beauty...One Love!”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

What can I say that hasn't been said already?

Breathtakingly beautiful, kind and caring staff, couldn't have imagined anything better. We feel so fortunate to have met so many lovely people in Castara (especially Porridge, Jeanell, Seon, Shaquille), we felt so welcomed and at home.

Thank you, words can't express how meaningful this experience was for us. You are in our hearts forever...ONE LOVE!

Room Tip: Any room is a great room - we stayed in Hummingbird 2 and Birdsong both breathtaking
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were invited to Castara Retreats by our friends, to celebrate with them their wedding.

Given the distance from the UK we decided to stay an extra two weeks after the wedding.

We had the best 3 weeks ever!

The Wedding which was also arranged by the staff of Castara Retreats, was simply PERFECT, on the beach then back to the restaurant & bar.

The holiday, Amazing beach, amazing accommodation, amazing views, amazing food and amazing staff!!

The sea was lovely and clean - really mellow in the water so really suitable for our two young children, their was amazing wildlife both in the immediate surroundings and of course in the water - which was some of the best snorkeling I have ever done - got to swim with Turtles - right in the Castara Bay!

The food @ the restaurant was exceptional, by far the best place to each in Tobago!

The accommodation was really special, with amazing panoramic views of the ocean & sunsets and it felt really [really] relaxing, no pressures, no phones, no TV, - just pure relaxing!

10 out of 10!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I can only echo the other comments raving about this lovely retreat.
Everybody that works here, including restaurant staff and so much praised Porridge made such an impression on us that we have vowed to return.
The kindness and the helpfulness of Castara people touched our hearts. You feel so safe.
We stayed in Studio and we loved it.

This place will be our Caribbean spot for times to come. Thank you all.

Nihada and Bran

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Diego Martin, Saint George, Trinidad and Tobago
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Castara retreats exceeded all expectations. Scenery, sunset, cuisine and having drinks with hummingbirds. Exquisite and well balanced between the local and international standards and experience in all the right places

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This was far far far superior to our previous stay on Tobago in May at the Coco Reef. This place really felt like a retreat, it was relaxed, quiet, friendly, clean and we are looking forward to going back already. We live on Trinidad so we just had a short stay but thought a few extra days would have been lovely. The restaurant was great, it felt like eating up in a beautiful treehouse and the veggie food was wonderful. It was thoughtful and very tasty and a great change to the norm. Porridge (the manager) couldn't have been more helpful and Kenny was a wonderful host at mealtimes. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble.
Snorkelling at Little Beach was incredible, we saw Green turtles, Hawks Bill turtles, sting ray, shoals of fishes, eels, Cuttle fish and loads of others I don't know.
We saw hummingbirds, bats, banana quits, Green Kingfisher, pelicans, frigate birds and heron among others.
There were avocados, mangoes, limes and starfruit growing in the grounds and some fantastic flowers some of which were in a vase in our apartment when we arrived.
We have loved it, needless to say.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank l s
Breitenfurt
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Concerning the restaurant (we only visited the restaurant): best view on Castara bay from above, about 10 minutes walking distance from the shore, car park small, may be a problem. Not everything available from the menu, but what is available, is everything cooked fresh and tasty. Seating on the open terrace overlooking the bay. Best place to watch sundown !

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank pauls-beisl
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Well, Im used to vacationing in places where I can relax a few days, do a little shopping, eat fancy, eat fast, watch tv, cruise around in a awesome rental I couldnt otherwise afford, not stress.....This place forces you to relax. No phone...No TV...No Internet...No Malls...No Car...No modern day amenities... No Problem! as soon as we got off the plane, I have to admit I was a bit reserved. Im used to vacationing in Orlando, or somewhere nice in FL...So this is what I had in mind. And I admit, I was a bit reserved in judgement with our guides attitude and smile. Just seemed a little too happy. But after the 1 hour drive from Scarborough to Castara, I slowly started to see myself transform. My wife was already relaxed and was excited for what was coming up. I was clueless! But once I saw the view from Hummingbird 2...That was it for me. I really dont think there are any words for the view. I tried remarkable, breathtaking, amazing, but they all fall short.

The Staff,

Porridge, I have to admit, when he picked us up, I was quite reserved. He greeted us with a smile, and was busy on the phone and taking us to where we needed to go....little did I know, this guy is one of Tobagos most loved and cherrished personalities. Whats not to like about this guy. I felt like he was family he was just there, I remember I put out my hand to give him a handshake... he brought it in for a hug...That was it for me Im a fan!

Kenny and Patricia, Ok Kenny has got to be the ideal of how a manager should be. I think he sensed that I was stressed and he erased it all from the moment he came and said hello. This dude made our day end well, even when I wasnt hungry I just went for the company. Patricia, all I have to say about her is....she is awesome!!!!!!! The smile, the welcome feeling, and the food...well, I dont think she can do anything wrong.

Wesley, all I can say about him is I am honored to have met him and I am happy I can call him friend. This guy was The greatest. I just had an awesome time hanging out with him. Im coming back just so I can hang out with him this winter. My wife thought he was like family. He really does care and takes pride in everything. you basically forget that he works there or that its a work environment because he treats you like your his family. The kids he teaches during his day job have an awesome role model

Seon, he was the captain of the snorkel tour. He has a silent exterior and may seem quite reserved, but we did two boat tours mostly to hang out with Seon and Shaq.

Shaq was like that childhood friend that you have had since you can remember.

Richy, If you want to get your SCUBA license, he is the man! Not to mention he is awesome!!!!! Worldly, funny, and makes you forget your in a learning environment.

Newton, Please if you get a chance do a jungle tour with him. he has more enthusiasm about his job than is healthy....makes you second guess your career paths in life.

All in all, there isnt one thing you can say bad about Castara Bay, or the Retreats. The locals are just my kind of people, and believe it or not saying "Thank You" will get you pretty far out there. I didnt feel the slightest bit nervous after my second day there. Nobody harassing you to buy this or that like they did at the other beaches and resorts. And if you really want to make the most of it, get down and help the local fishermen in the morning pull in the nets....I cant wait to be back there.

Room Tip: It doesnt matter which one you choose. If you can see the water, you are in the right room....If yo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank damienkimbrough
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castara
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 5 in Speyside
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine

Been to Castara Retreats? Share your experiences!