“exceded all expectation”

Naturalist Beach Resort
Norwich, United Kingdom
“exceded all expectation”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I would say Castara is the best place to stay if you want to stay away from the main resort areas, and in Castara the Naturalist is the best place to stay, located right on the beach only a stones throw away from the nearest restaurant, and shops. We weren't sure what to expect when we booked Tobago and chose to go to Castara, but it turned out to be one on the most relaxing and memorable holidays I have had in a long time. The naturalist is a small and friendly self catering apartment complex with rooms ranging from small studio rooms to 3 bed apartments. We stayed in Tuna, one of the smaller rooms without beech views but still overlooking the forest with a large balcony area where we could sit outside and watch the wildlife in the forest, Ancle and his staff were all very friendly and helpful, the rooms were air conditioned great if you wanted to cool down and were cleaned daily. Castara is a lovely place to stay and would love to go back as soon as I can, it was my first taste of the Caribbean and if going on what the seasoned Caribbean visitors say this is what the Old Caribbean was like if anything the people and place were amongst the most genuine I have experienced. I couldn't recommend it more.

Room Tip: I would book well in advance to ensure you get a room with beach views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alistair M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed January 17, 2013

What can I say about this hidden gem of a beach resort. When my girlfriend and I walked up to the place we didn't really know what to expect. We had only seen some photos on the internet and of course read the reviews so we knew we would be fine but walking from where the taxi dropped us off passing nothing more than some huts and a small open restaurant we were a little skeptical after our overnight plane travel from NY. It wasn't until we were just past the almond tree did we see what we were going to enjoy for our week. My girlfriends first words were "you done good Guiseppi" (that's what she calls me sometimes). We were soon greeted by our fabulous host by the name of Ancle aka "Joe" which began a fabulous week of fun, sun, water, sailing, snorkeling, hiking through the rain forest, driving on the wrong side of road, on roads so narrow I wondered how two cars could pass each other, to explore more beautiful beaches then lay right outside the door to our room, meeting people from remote parts of the USA, and not so remote parts of England, Sweden, Poland and our hosts lovely family. We were lucky enough to have arrived just days before Ancle's birthday which all the guests were welcome to join in. Lots of food and drink was had by all!! The local restaurants offer a limited but very good menu that consists of fish, fish and fish - you pick. Actually there are more selections than this but not too many more such as pork, beef, goat and I think even fish. The locals are friendly people but I have to confess coming from the Northeast section of the USA near NY we were a bit skeptical at first which I guess we showed because the locals didn't like that we didn't trust them right off the bat. Once we realized how stupid we were being we relaxed and just had fun and fun we had. We have been home 5 days and we are still recovering. The local beer, Carib and Stag both brewed and bottled in Trinidad are very good although we preferred Stag. It tasted more like Lowenbrau and went down very easily, maybe too easily. The Coffee House for their breakfast and Saturday night bbq, The Boat House Wednesday night where I joined the man on stilts dancing and the drummers drumming, The Blue Marlin where we were given the choice of 3 different dishes but somehow we all wound up with fish. Don't get me wrong it was very good and the owner Bridgett brought out a bottle of Patrone and she and her brother joined us. Bridgett chose to debate of all things - the problem with men (don't worry I stuck up for the men) and women and before we knew it the bottle was empty (Maybe we needed another bottle of Patrone to come to some kind of conclusion). Nylon pools was beautiful but be careful how you get there. If you chose to go by boat a small boat anchored in front of the Naturalist is too small to be out in the large swells that dominate the coast of Tobago. Make sure the boat is being captained by someone that is licensed and the required personal floatation devices are on board. After all your life is in their hands. We will be back!

Room Tip: All the rooms are close to the water, many of them just opened and are brand new.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank joesterfour
St. Pete Beach, Florida
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My wife and I just returned from two weeks at the Naturalist Resort. It was an amazing, experience.

We make frequent self-catering trips to The Caribbean. We have made several trips each to Guadeloupe, Curacao and Grenada. Our preference is small hotels or bungalows that are not in tourist areas - places like The Naturalist. For us, The Naturalist is ideal.

Tobago is a marvelous island in that it retains its Caribbean essence. It is very well maintained. The roads are on a par with the Dutch and French islands, and generally wider than those on Grenada. Castara is a wonderful little fishing village with an excellent beach. We had fresh caught Mahi all the first week and fresh tuna the second. A ten-minute walk from The Naturalist will put you on the trail to the waterfall. It is peaceful and beautiful.

We stayed in The Grouper. It is directly on the water with a superb view of the beach and bay. The kitchen is large with good appliances. The cookware and dishes supplied were everything we would have wanted. The room is large and the bed and furniture excellent. Waves break on the beach less than twenty feet from the room and you can hear them all night. The room has good privacy. When we return we will stay in the same room again.

The Naturalist is the only lodging directly on Castara Beach. The Grouper is the room closest to the water.

Ancle is a excellent host - an all-around great guy with whom we had some very thoughtful conversations. And Petra is terrific also. The housekeepers always kept our rooms clean and well-stocked. The other guests were interesting cool people.

For those desiring a relaxing break in a beautiful, tranquil, island environment, we give The Naturalist our highest, unqualified recommendation and look forward to our next visit. And we are grateful to Ancle for providing such a wonderful unique experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank LaserBob_and_Rachell
Radolfzell am Bodensee, Germany
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We spent a week of our 14 days holiday at the Naturalist. The hotel is located right at the beach front and perfect for snorkeling and swimming. We experienced a very warm and really great hospitality from the owner Ancle George who cares about his guests perfectly. Our travel agent booked the Grouper apartment with kitchen and large rooms. From there you can fall to the beach directly. The breakfast is okay with fresh fruit every day and you find a small business centre with fast WiFi which is nearly sensational in Tobago. Definitely one of the best locations I can imagine.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank icepilot19
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I just got home from a week at the Naturalist. My only complaint is that I couldn't stay longer.
Mr. George, Petra, and Florid were wonderful to me. My room, The Dolphin, was always spotless. The views from the balcony were breathtaking.

Don't expect a traditional hotel experience. This is so much better. Mr. George will work with you so that you can truly experience Tobago's riches.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Mike_cincinnati
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2012

On arriving very late (7 hours late!) in to Tobago I feared that car hire arrangements would be a problem, but I was wrong. Ancle George, the owner/manager of the rental company was there at the airport waiting for... I had informed him what time we were due in, he wasn't stood these for 7 hours!!
The car, a small 4x4 was well kept, reliable and very affordable.
We took a drive down to the Naturalist Beach Resort to have a look around. Ancle showed us the rooms which all seemed fresh, comfortable and well located right by the lovely beach.
Despite Ancle being a Barcelona FC supporter he is a genuine guy who'll look after you.
Thanks Ancle for being so helpful!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed in the Naturalist at the end of July and it was the perfect place to relax and unwind. Jodie picked us up from the airport and told us all about Trinidad & Tobago on the way to Castara. When we arrived we just loved The Naturalist. It is right on Castara beach. You can buy fresh fish on the beach in the afternoon. If you don't want to cook there are nice places to eat nearby. Try the Almond Tree restaurant next door. The apartments have everything you need and are cleaned every day. Ancle (the owner) is really helpful and can organise car rental, diving trips, airport transfers etc. He knows everything about the island. He even lent me a mobile phone when my phone battery died. Thanks Ancle. A definite five stars.

Room Tip: All rooms are right on the beach.
Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank da_boy_harris
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castara
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock

Been to Naturalist Beach Resort? Share your experiences!