“Fantastic place especially for young children”
other travelers have booked this property

Review of Castara Cottage

Cinnamon lounge
View of Castara resized
Sunset at Big Bay
Castara Bay beach
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

German first
Any
geck02016
Georgetown, Guyana
“Fantastic place especially for young children”
Reviewed February 3, 2016 for a stay in December 2015

We stayed at Castara over Christmas in Tamarind house and were fortunate to have Anne and Evyonne staying below and had a brilliant Christmas day with them We traveled with two young children 2 &6. At first I didn't want to stay in the top apartment as I thought that having a two year old it might be continuous watching if on a balcony. However, its actually ground level one side and high up on the other, but the balcony is well secured with mesh without blocking views so even for crawling babies it would be fine. It really is 2 minutes walk from the beach which is very handy with kids when one wants go up the other stay, when things are forgotten etc.. so easy to run back and forth from the house. It is located in the village so there is village and human traffic passing by, it can be noisy but to be honest it didn't bother us nor did it ever wake the kids. So it wasn't a problem. Its not a hectic village but there are a few restaurants to go and eat in, and a good shop right beside it for bits and bobs, fruit, fresh bread, treats and actually most things you can think of that you may run out off... There is a restaurant on the beach which is very handy for p munchies and juices etc.. But do do a shop on route first. The apartment was great, perfect size for family of 4, very cosy, kitchen well equipped and kids had plenty of space to play with their toys inside and out. All in all we had a great holiday in a great place with brilliant owners, would highly recommend it but would say mostly for families, or anyone seeking a nice quiet relaxing time definitely not for the party seekers!

Date of stay: December 2015
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: closeness to beach
Liked least: location in village
Traveling group: Young Children
Your age range 35-49
Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Management Response
Feb 4, 2016
Hi Thadaigh & Anouska
Thank you so much for staying with us & making our Christmas 'special' with your wonderful company & two super kids !
Hope to see you again.
Ann & Yvonne
Shermiepi...
Austin, Texas
“I couldn't have asked for a better stay in Castara!”
Reviewed September 16, 2015 for a stay in September 2015
person found this review helpful

The photos don't do this cute tree house justice at all- the Saffron is exactly as pictured and more. This was exactly the way I wanted to spend the past few days of my holiday and wish I had more time! As a woman travelling alone, one worries about safety, but I felt totally at ease here. The tree house is tucked back in the hill just off the main road, so very private. You hear a little road noise, but everyone is in bed by 10pm and it's very quiet after that. The sun rises and sets on the 6's, so be ready to live like the locals and get up with the sun, or enjoy lazy mornings relaxing in the four poster bed - the mosquito net was key! I spent a lot of time on the balcony with my morning coffee, watching the sugar birds enjoy my offerings and the evenings enjoying a home cooked fish dinner from fish caught that day! As I love to cook, I found myself right at home making my own meals in the well appointed kitchen- there was even a blender, so I made papaya daiquiris one evening. :) If you don't want to cook, there are a few places in town to eat, though during low season their hours are fewer, but there are still plenty of options. The guidebook provided was very helpful and explained in great detail things to do in the area, contact numbers, etc. They will also arrange airport or ferry transportation for you, which is a huge bonus and Joey greeted me at the airport with a smile, as did his wife Rachael who manages the property. Joey also arranged a snorkeling trip for me and Rachael was able to join us- they are lovely people and new friends! The place really is an easy walk from two beaches and I saw a stingray bigger than me at the snorkeling beach! After a day in the sun and sand, take a short walk to the 1st waterfall to rinse off. If you're feeling adventurous, take a hike through the rain forest and visit the other waterfalls- just follow the river! Joey can also take you on a hike up the waterfalls, but there are also other tour companies in the area, as well as a car rental company. There's really no need to go anywhere else! I can't wait to go back and am already planning my next trip!

Date of stay: September 2015
Traveling group: Solo
JonDa61
Chester, United Kingdom
“Welcoming, relaxing, a real Tobago experience in a comfortable holiday home”
Reviewed May 12, 2015 for a stay in April 2015
people found this review helpful

We stayed in the Tamarind Cottage, a well-equipped, spacious and comfortable apartment for a family of 4. What made this the perfect choice for us was the honest and helpful information about the apartment itself, and the life and the amenities in the viillage in general, that we received from the owners, Ann and Yvonne, before and after we booked it. So we knew what to expect and we were not disappointed in the slightest.The highlight of our every day was to open in the morning the wooden shutters and the patio doors and be visited by so many beautiful tropical birds. Our 13 year old daughter loved to try to find more about them in the illustrated books provided in the apartment. Of course, as Ann informed us in advance, the cottage is in the heart of the village and there was some noise from cars passing and dogs barking but this didn't spoil it for us. The beach is 2 minutes away, there is a friendly grocer's shop on the top of the road providing even freshly-baked bread on order and the beautiful Castara waterfall is 15 minutes walking distance from the cottage. And even better, if you want to experience a breathtaking, unspoilt and peaceful beach, Englishman's Bay is only 5 minutes away by car. We found our stay very relaxing and enjoyed the opportunity to experience every day life in a Tobago village.The owners and the manager, Rachel , made us feel a valued guest,and the apartment felt more like a holiday home than a rental accommodation.

Date of stay: April 2015
Traveling group: Teenagers
Melanie K
Stockbridge, Massachusetts
“WOW Been to so many places in the Caribbean,Central America,Europe America but this really stole our heart but I really”
Reviewed March 6, 2015 for a stay in February 2015
person found this review helpful

Like I wrote above we fell in love with Tobago,We think we need to keep our mouths shut so it does not turn into Jamaica or Belize and become over loved!! OMG it is HEAVEN on EARTH.. It must be very close to what the first people saw it as.. A raw gem.. The people are beautiful. Not once were we higgled our luggle tugged at... The house we stayed at the best. Keisha and Kareem spoiled us with homade breads, Dinners, Checked in at all times to make sure we were alright. .. Did we need anything? They took us to the local drum dinner. Even made our reservation for us. We have never been more spoiled. Thank you Keisha and Kareem ~~ We will be back for sure ~~ The beaches are the best ~~ Food great for vegetarians. I hope I don't turn Tobago into Jamaica from this review.. I don't want Hotels to go up and ruin it.. It is way to Lovely.. Save this beautiful Island one of the last few gems and Castara Cottage is the perfect spot... I loved waking up to the Roosters each morning and walking the beach with dogs as I missed my own.. Thank you all in Castara again for a Lovely ,restful, wonderful month. esp. Keisha and Kareem.. One Love Melanie and Henry ~~ I will download Photos soon ~~

Date of stay: February 2015
Liked best: Everything was wonderful ~~
Liked least: There was nothing not to like ~~
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Large groups
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Mårten Z
Knivsta, Sweden
“Charming apartment in beautiful Castara”
Reviewed March 4, 2015 for a stay in February 2015

We stayed for one week in the two-bedroom Tamarind apartment. A fully equipped kitchen and a livingroom made it work very well for us and our two young children. A very nice and big terrace also belongs to the apartment which is an excellent place to hang out during the day. The views of the sea are restricted as the house is not directly at the sea front. But can still see it.

Bring some mosquito repellent. Not a huge amount of mosquitoes (and only at night) but still nice to have repellent as it's sometimes needed.

Keisha made us feel very welcome and was so nice and helpful during our whole stay at Castara Cottage. She helped us with any small issues regarding the apartment and could also give lots of other useful information. Thank you Keisha!

The two beautiful beaches in Castara are just a few minutes away from the house which is very nice with small children. We preferred the smaller of the two; Heavenly Beach. The restaurant at that beach (called The Boathouse) was also good.

All in all: a great place in a really beautiful and genuine village with friendly people. We had a fantastic time there!

Date of stay: February 2015
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Spacious apartment with good kitchen
Traveling group: Family with Young Children
Recommended for:
Older travelers Families with young children
Hpadrean
“Fantastic Place to Relax in Tobago”
Reviewed January 10, 2015 for a stay in January 2015

My husband and I took a last minute trip to Tobago and were very lucky to find this place. Our great experience started from the moment we contacted Ann, who worked with us not only to stay here but to try and find a rental car too.
Keisha, the manager, gave great directions to the cottage and it was very easy to find. The cottage (we stayed in Cinnamon) was spacious, with a full kitchen (plenty of dishes, appliances, utensils included), sitting area, 2 bedrooms, a toilet, and a shower. The hot water was just enough for 2 people to shower. The bed was comfortable and we slept well (yes, except for the chickens, but that is part of the charm of staying in Castara... just bring earplugs). My favorite part of the cottage was the outside, being able to sit at the table with my coffee, listening to the ocean (which was truly a short walk away), and watching the birds feed off the trees right next to me. I could have sat there all day.
Castara itself is very nice. Quite a few tourists this time of year, but still quiet beaches, great places to eat, and a good location to easily reach the Tobago forest.
The best part of Castara Cottage is Keisha. She is a gem. Always available by phone for anything we needed or any questions we had. She is a fantastic cook and baker, and we were extremely fortunate to have been on the receiving end of pumpkin bread and lunch. Her cooking was hands down the best meal we had in Tobago. Keisha is friendly, pleasant, helpful, and just an all around wonderful person to get to know.
We would definitely stay at Castara Cottage again.

Date of stay: January 2015
Liked best: Keisha
Liked least: The chickens... but they cannot do anything about those.
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 35-49
hoffner20...
Sinsheim, Germany
“My favorite accommodation”
Reviewed May 21, 2014 for a stay in April 2014

Castara Cottage is a beautiful house, located in the middle of the two bays of Castara. Booking and formality on-site was uncomplicated and well organized. Service was very good, thanks Keisha! I loved my stay in the spacious saffron apartment, the interior is light and breezy, the kitchen is well equipped. I can highly recommend this accommodation.

Date of stay: April 2014
Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: large, roomy and light chamber, location between the two bays
Traveling group: Solo Traveler
People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing