“Beautiful Location and Villa”

The Villas at Stonehaven
Ranked #1 of 3 Black Rock B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 13, 2010

May 2009 was our second visit to Tobago and our first stay at The Villas at Stonehaven.

The Villa was very pleasant but I must confess, my first impression was one of disappointment; it appeared tired, especially the kitchen which to be honest, was unacceptably grubby and not what we expected from this type of resort. However, the views were wonderful the pool inviting so we unpacked and settled in.

We suffered some noise problems in this Villa and noticed, having taken a stroll around that at the middle/top end of the resort peace and quiet, only the birds and breeze could be heard! Despite our request when booking, for a quiet Villa we had actually been allocated the noisiest! Not only was it close to the bar and Restaurant it was also closest to the main road which was surprisingly noisy even late into the night.

We asked if we could be moved to a quieter Villa. This was agreed and we were invited to view another Villa which we did and moved immediately into it.

The difference in the Villa and quietness of the location was over whelming. The quality and cleanliness of this Villa was far superior to the one we had left, we could not fault it in any way. A very attentive house keeper, who is an asset to Stonehaven with her polite, friendly disposition and her attention to detail in the upkeep of this Villa is commendable.

The views from all of the Villas are excellent and the up keep of the grounds first class. We understand that some of the Villas have different furnishings - our second Villa being one of these.

The Villas are all on a steep hill and we would recommend that a car is hired in order to enjoy the Island and take advantage of the numerous local beaches. For this particular visit to Tobago we were looking for a quiet relaxing time, which we had only leaving the Villa for an early morning stroll on the beach. The Villa pool for us was exceptional and we loved it.

It was a shame that our request for a quiet Villa was not heeded as this spoilt a couple of days of our holiday, however this would not dissuade us from returning or recommending Stonehaven - if you get the right Villa it really can be a perfect holiday.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jangeo11

Reviewed March 30, 2010

I have been to Tobago many times but only stayed at Stonehaven for the first time in 2008. After that experience I am now extremely spoiled in what I have come to expect from my lodgings in Tobago so it was back to the Stonehaven in 2009 and I am already planning another trip to Stonehaven for 2010.

The Resort:
Immaculate, well manicured grounds with the villas all situated so that you have your very own private space. The views from the villas are just beautiful, even from the bathroom you have spectacular sea views. Club House and Main Pool are very nice, with even more amazing views from that location.

The Villas
We stayed at two different villas and each one was the same as the next. The layout, bedrooms, kitchen, bath etc were identical in terms of decor and standard with the exception that one villa had a small built in bar/island area. There are two bedrooms upstairs and one downstairs all with en suite bathroom (which is great when you have 5 females in a villa!). The overall standard of the villa was very high in terms of aesthetic and comfort. We were so satisfied lounging on the pool deck, taking a dip in the pool occasionally , that we never made it to the beach!

Amenities
The welcome breakfast starter pack and fruit basket was a nice touch. You get milk, juice, bread, eggs, cereal, tea, butter, jam, bottled water and soft drinks. The fruits depend on what is in season, we got a huge watermelon the first visit, but none the second time.

Wireless internet is available throughout the villa and the speed is decent. You could even be in the pool and surfing the net on your laptop if you so desire. We also made use of the grill provided one night and made bar b que for dinner as well as our housekeeper made us breakfast every day (extremely nice touch!). One of the housekeepers also did laundry and presented it folded on the bed.

Airport transfers. Prompt, on time, easy to spot as soon as we came out of the airport, the driver was waiting with Stonehaven Sign in hand.

Location
I would suggest renting a car, even if you may not want to leave the relaxation and beauty of the villa, you may need to get out for provisions or even dinner. We were glad that the option was at least there as no one wanted to walk! If you do decide to do some walking in the area you have the Stonehaven Beach, Grafton and Le Grand Courlan Hotels and a further distance away a little village with a supermarket, Pizza Boys restaurant and some other shops.

Staff
The housekeepers were excellent and the General Manager was always prompt in answering my emails. The bar staff and overall service at the bar, where I had drinks, were a bit serious and slow. And the one time we went to view the menu for dinner at the restaurant there were no staff around to answer our questions. We opted to go somewhere else for dinner.

General Impressions:
I absolutely loved being at Stonehaven, it was just total relaxation in a beautiful villa with amazing views and serenity!

More photos here:

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank IslandBabe18
Reviewed March 28, 2010

My husband, our two teenaged kids, six year old and I stayed at Villa #11 for three days. We were fortunate to get an early check in and late check out. Mr. Kenny, the General Manager was very accomodating. Ram the driver was punctual, friendly and helpful. Amrel, the housekeeper was extremely polite, knowledgeable and efficient. We really appreciated the breakfast items provided which included bread, butter, jelly and milk.
Staff at the Pavilion,which is the restaurant on site were not hospitable. On the other hand, the staff at the Seahorse restaurant which is closeby were extremely helpful, well mannered, friendly and paid attention to the smallest detail. Despite being aware that we were from Trinidad, they treated us the same way as the other guests who were from foreign countries.
While I requested Villa #10 if available, I did so because I thought it had the best view. We got Villa #11. However, I realized that someone else’s opinion might not be mine. I got an ocean view from Villa #11 but I really would have liked a Villa with a view of Courland Bay and Plymouth. I was also terribly disappointed that there were no TVs in the bedrooms. I read a few reviews which said there was more than one TV in each villa but sadly this Villa was not one of those. There was only a small CRT television in the living room.
We enjoyed relaxing and having fun in the pool and will not hesitate recommending Stonehaven.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank toco14
Reviewed March 23, 2010

My partner and I and two close friends travelled to Tobago to get some sun on our old bones! We were not disappointed. We spent two weeks at Stonehaven Villas and in fact we had an extra day there as our flight was delayed for 24 hours. What better place to be stranded in?
Our first impression on arrival was the very steep hill that wound it's way to the villa. We were in number 9 the very top one. The next impression was the view, wow, wow, wow,It was the best view that I have ever had from any accomadation.
The villa was very spacious and clean. the kitchen was large and reasonably well equiped. There was a welcome pack with enough for one breakfast plus fruit, milk,beers wine,water and coke. Threre was a small amount of tea coffee and sugar but these were not replaced when used.
No cling wrap, foil, oil, salt, seasoning etc.and no sharp knives. Our maid did leave us a steel to use but it was worn out.
The bedrooms were large and comfortable, the bathrooms also large with plenty of hanging space and drawers. The shower (no bath) was a good size but outdated and with a very poor flow. The toiletries were not replaced once used and the towels were very small, not at all luxurious.
The outdoor areas were lovely and very well kept, the pool was small but great. The view from it was one I could never tire of. The only problem was the very hungry insects, we expected them of course but we seemed to have some little biting things on the furniture inside, I did ask for the villa to be fumigated as dispite using loads of sprays we all looked like measles cases. The head of housekeeping turned up with a mosquito spray and said she would get back to us re the fumigation. She didn't - not the response expected from a luxury accommodation.
We had some lovely flower arrangements for the first four days but when they went they were not replaced which was a shame as we missed them.
Our housekeeper was Audrey,she was very helpful and cooked a lovely breakfast for us all.
A lot of the time we cooked in the villa and did our own shopping as we were lucky enough to have a chef in our party. We took a taxi to the supermarket where the driver waited for us and gave us some tips on shopping. The price varied between drivers!
We tried the restaurant on site on our first night, it was OK but not brilliant for what we paid. It certainly needs some T.L.C. and the tables need to be much better dressed, I was under the impression it was to have been an upmarket place but it was not.
The night we tried the restaurant was the only time we tackled the hill, we found it just too steep and too far, but we would not have changed to a lower villa because of the spectacular view. The manager did say we could have a lift up and down if we wanted which we did take him up on twice. A shuttle service or a golf cart would be very useful for elderly and infirm people.
A day trip we had to Trinidad was fantastic we flew over and were met by our guide Noella she was just fantastic, she even took us to her home and cooked us a Trinny meal - wonderful.
Jameson gave us a tour of Tobago and he was very good, part of the tour included lunch at Jemmas this was OK but not good. The Island is so beautiful and very interesting.
There seems like a lot of moans here but we had a great time and I do recommend the villas.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hisandmytravels
Reviewed February 24, 2010

This place is magnificent (I stayed in villa #8). It's extremely clean and modern, has an amazing view, all the comforts of him, beautiful colonial decor, and the pool is excellent... no complaints. I had high expectations, and they were exceeded. I will be back. The only tips I would say are:
-You may want to rent a car or get a taxi's telephone number, because there is a steep hill to get the villas, and depending on how far up the hill your villa is, you may not want to make that walk in the hot sun.
-The nearest beach in Stonehaven Bay (5-7 mins walk). It's gorgeous, and can have some waves (which are actually quite mild). If you want absolutely still water, you can walk 5 minutes further to Mt. Irvine Bay -- there's excellent shore snorkeling there. There's also always Pigeon Point and Store Bay if you want more action at the beach (but the water is very shallow). I recommend you visit all.
-There's free Wifi, not that you should be doing work!
-Do visit the restaurant/bar. The sunset is spectacular.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank keepie
Reviewed February 23, 2010

Upon arrival at the Villa, I knew I had made the right choice. I reviewed many many hotels before choosing this one for myself and partner. The Villa was spotless and the infitnity pool was amazing. The Deck was great and I spent most of my time there lounging. The housekeeper was just great! She made breakfast and offered tips on the best places to visit. I would have given this place five stars, but the service at the restaurant was really very bad. The food took a long time to come and staff at the restaurant was not friendly. However, when we ordered room service, the food, albiet late in coming, was absolutely delicious.

I will be going there again in a few weeks with my mom and family. Great Great expereince!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JadedTear
Stonehav, General Manager at The Villas at Stonehaven, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2010

Good afternoon and thank you for taking the time to write the review and share your comments with us. I would like to apologize that we were unable to provide you with the quality service that one should expect from Stonehaven Villas. Since your vacation date of June 2009, we have changed most of our servers and chefs. We meet weekly to talk service and training, and have implemented a guest comment survey that we use to bench mark performance. Please feel free to contact me directly so that I can get more details on your experience and use the feedback to improve. The phone number is 868-639-0361 or you can email me at stonehav@tstt.net.tt . I am very happy to hear that your Villa meet your expectations, and the service you received from your housekeeper was great. I look forward to your response and also hosting you in the next few weeks.
Duane Kenny

Reviewed February 8, 2010

We have just returned from a wonderful 2 week holiday in Tobago. Stonehaven Villas far exceeded our expectations, particularly having read some of the negative reviews! The villas are beautifully appointed with lovely views of the ocean. They are extremely well equipped and our housekeeper could not have done more for us. She was very willing and carried out her duties cheerfully and with good humour. She made delicious coconut bread for us and a couple of times prepared evening meals for us, so all we had to do was heat them up. We found the whole experience extremely relaxing and would not hesitate to recommend Stonehaven.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

Been to The Villas at Stonehaven? Share your experiences!