“Bittersweet.....”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Black Rock
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Bittersweet.....”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

There are things about this resort that I loved....and things that anywhere else I would've left immediately...but the staff and their service saved the experience.. plenty pluses and minuses....and had it not been for the staff...i would not consider returning...
My husband and I stayed with them for Carnival weekend 2013...we arrived earlier than the check in time, and they happily accomodated us (+)...we went to our room...not too shabby...could do with an updating (-)..but was clean (+)...we missed the time for tea by 5mins..and were told they couldnt accomodate our request (-)...but then dinner was fabulous (+)..
I loved that the resort was a couples only one...no noisy kids (not everyone's cup of tea)
the linens were a little old (-) but clean (+)....the beach isn't the best in Tobago (-) but was secluded enough for a couple to enjoy a long stroll (+)....
On Sunday night however, the dinner buffet ran out of food at 8:30pm...forcing us to go to the Grafton next door for dinner....totally absurd in my opinion...but again, the staff were so apologetic about it....it sorted itself out....
in the end...the experience was saved by the friendly management and staff....names I remember include Cheryl, Nazim, Wazim, Mikeyla, Nadine, and Singh...all helpful...all in all, a nice resort, in need of an upgrade...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Seadips

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Polish first
Trinidad
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This was a great hotel , the place was clean , the hotel was pretty , but it's lacking in many areas. From my experience there it lacked entertainment on property , the breakfast was absolutely dreadful , so there needs to be some improvements there , the staff was quite friendly and helpful. I liked this place I may considering going back one day , but like I said you need to work on a few things .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Butterfly1986
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We booked the hotel and asked specifically for two double beds. When we arrived we were told that we couldnt have two double beds because of occupancy. I expected the hotel to be full, and there werent probably more than 20 people there.
We had to drag our own bags up the stairs to our room (no elevators or bell person). The safe didnt work. The TV and room itself were 1985 relics. There were no activities. No music. No food (seriously, NO FOOD), no bar. No wi-fi anywhere. The same 10 employees covered both this hotel and the sister hotel, The Grafton, next door. You couldnt call out on the phones. The front lobby would call the Grafton and ask them to call taxis for us. If you didnt use the taxi company they wanted you to use, they would say they called them and nobody would show up. "Their" beach ended up being a public beach where the locals would pull up and blast their music in the alley by the beach (but at least we had SOME music, I guess). In addition, there were no beach chairs and the entire beach was in disrepair (crumbling stairs, tree roots exposed, etc..). The staff would just shrug and return to what they were doing if you visited the front desk to complain. Oh, and by the way, after 10 pm, the front desk is vacant. Worst of all, I thought I would just get a massage since it was a spa hotel, after all. Guess what? No massage therapists! The spa receptionist kindly offered to rub my shoulders though but said that was all she could do. Serious Twilight Zone moment. Checked out early and finished the vacation in Trinidad because we just couldnt take it .

Room Tip: Believe the reviews.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
12 Thank TChanel

Travelers are raving about these Black Rock hotels

Trinidad
Reviewed December 12, 2012

My husband & i got married on June 2nd, we stay @ the Le grand courlan resort. the rooms was very clean & comfortable.The food was really good HATS OF TO THE COOK.The staff very friendly & helpful. My husband had the most relaxing & fun time, i felt as if alone matted to the staff. We know where we r going for our 1 year anniversary. thank u to all the staff @ LE GRAND COURLAN.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank summer157
Stockholm
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Positive: the beaches in entire Tobago were out of this world. That aside, Le Grand Courlan was above expectations and i had one of the most relaxing holidays ever. The staff was excellent and wonderful, the spa was lovely, the pool big, the bed was better than in most hotels and the food great for most part.

Right outside the hotel was one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever been to. A kilometer of sandy beach with hardly any people there. We spent most of our time between this beach and a couple of beaches a few minutes from the resort.

If you want to get away from the stress and focus on sun bathing, snorkling and relaxing- this is really the place.

Tip: Try the various spa-treatments out. The facial was my favourite.

Negative: Nothing really. Loved every second of my stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with ocean view- the view there really couldn´t be more beautiful.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jennasa
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Really enjoyed the area and climate. The hotel and rooms were decent but as you may already know or suspect, not really up to western standards. The staff was laid back, which you could get used to, but only a handful was really service minded - especially Sheryl in the restaurant and Owen (think that was his name) in the bar and they seemed to work most days/evenings.
Tennis court and gear was nice to have. Missed the squash court (never saw it) but the gym was well equipped. Poolside ok - pool a bit worn down, sunbeds good but lacks moveable parasols and the pool par was closed (think it is only open high season Dec-Mar).
The beach 50m away from the pool was fantastic. Clean, hardly with any people, only one restaurant/pub. Waves a bit too high most days for kids or to do some kayaking (tried but the waves was too tough)

I recommend you avoid the spa, had no real expectations but serious issues with the staff. We were informed that we'll have daily treatments in our all-inclusive plan, which was not the case for us or any other guest, plus the staff was unfriendly and very hard to reach and have things remediated. After two complaints and discussion with the manager we finally got a few of the treatments - but spending 1 - 1 1/2 hour the last three days to "catch up" with our treatments, plus having sauna and steam sauna in beautiful weather and 30 C ... well, I think you get the picture.

Never saw the complimentary fruit basket, as most of the other guests, even after reminding the front desk and Manager. The bottle of Rum we had to pick up ourselves.

Room Tip: All roms have seaview. The lower section may get a bit "noise" from the waves (heard other...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Peter G
leicester
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I have just returned from Tobago and stayed at the Le Grand Courlan Hotel, My husband and I have had the most relaxing holiday ever. The beach is almost deserted bar some local fishermen so we felt we were on our own desert island and found our piece of paradise.
The hotel was almost empty, onle about 5 couples so not all the bars were open so we had to walk a little further for our drinks but so what, we needed the exercise. The food was good and the service also, staff were only too happy to please you.
Didn't want to come home.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are the best
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Black Rock
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine

Been to Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort? Share your experiences!