“Nice hotel and personable staff”

Grafton Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Black Rock
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Nice hotel and personable staff”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

My 3 person family stayed there in Feb 2014. Our room was ready by 1pm (two hours earlier than allowed checkin time). They accommodated us. I heard others complain about the towel service, however I found it very good. We had no issues receiving towels.
The breakfast is ok. We ate the buffet at dinner for TT$180 each. It was very good. This seemed expensive, however all places were charging this much for dinner (except Pizza Boy) in walking distance.
One day a company came in and did free scuba lessons in the pool. That was nice to watch.

Two great points of service: 1) I misplaced my phone in the lobby. Someone found it and they safeguarded it for me. 2) I asked for water once and did not want to spend money for bottled water, so the bar gave me a pitcher of filtered water and a bucket of ice which was great for a hot day.

Again, the staff was very nice. Room was clean. There is a mini frig in the room.

This hotel is walking distance to Pizza Boy, the Fish Pot restaurant, a mini market, and about 2 miles walking from Mt Irvine golf course.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Rfols_indy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2014

My husband and I are currently staying at this resort. Following most of our travels, I am not one for reviews, often for lack of time, this one however, cannot be omitted.
At the time of writing, from our balcony, I am torn between the spectacular views and the sound of jackhammering! I've stepped out of the shower, in time to avoid an overflow due to our clogged drain and although I finished brushing my teeth over 20 minutes ago, I am still awaiting the water to clear in the sink. I have just hung up the phone with the front desk staff who claim they have "no idea when I should expect the situation resolved" nor have they bothered offering a suitable solution.
Don't get me wrong, the setting is as spectacular as described in many of the more positive reviews however grossly over shadowed by the lack of experience and professionalism displayed by the staff. I am curious as to whether everyone previously mentioned was fired or replaced as I have yet to encounter anyone working at this resort eager to promote an enjoyable vacation experience. It is a though we are "unwanted guests" dropping in for an "unannounced visit".
The ocean and beach are naturally wonderful however not appointed with chairs or suitable palapas as mentioned in other reviews and yes, overall maintenance of the surrounding landscape is needed.
The food and beverage options are mediocre, untimely and insufficient as well offer little selection for those of us with restrictive diets. I am a pescatarian on a island where fruits, vegetables and fish abound, however few options have been made available to me since our arrival here. Yesterday, at the beach bar, after being handed a menu, we were told that "meals were not being served as a result of the cook not showing up for her shift"! This am afraid speaks to the general attitude and lack of enthusiasm displayed by the staff. I am somewhat thankful of this as it did force us to explore outside options and we were pleasantly surprised by our discovery of The Fish Pot, a local gem, located within a 7 minutes' walk from the resort.
Having travelled extensively for business and pleasure throughout the world, my husband and I are in the early stages of sourcing for investment a smaller "intimate boutique style retreat" to manage in our retirement in the Caribbean Islands, with Trinidad and Tobago at the top of the list being his native country.
I urge the current ownership to consider throwing in the towel if they have lost their passion for customer experience and perhaps allow this paradise property to be restored to its natural beauty while showcasing outstanding word class service and hospitality under new management.

Room Tip: Unfortunately, elsewhere, based on current management!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank Dukes-Toronto

Travelers are raving about these Black Rock hotels

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed January 12, 2014

After the wild ferry ride from trinidad, which is a whole other post...we went straight to Grafton bay Resort around 3:00pm. check in was very helpfull. Got 2 great rooms with ice cold air conditioning. All the rooms have a beach view. Nice beach,,no crowds. Had a little incident at the hotels beach side grill. We were trying to get some food while checking in. There was a little mixup but they were apologetic and offered us drinks. I was a bit hangry as well. Breakfast buffet was good local food but the dinner buffet was not quite worth it but we didnt feel like getting back in a maxitaxi. I would recomend this hotel to anyone. it was also a great price

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank 132Andrew
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed January 9, 2014

First of Tobago is a beautiful Island. Our stay at this Resort was good. Checking in took some time, but we were grateful to the staff for giving us 5 ocean view rooms, even though we book garden view room. You all ROCK!!!! Waking up to the beautiful sounds and sight of the ocean was magical. The rooms are dated. In my room the fridge didn't work properly and we had issues with our door. Breakfast was okay, but birds kept flying into the seating area. Overall all okay resort with GREAT STAFF!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Trini G
Tavares, Florida
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Arrived New Year's Day for wedding. After a long flight with many problems I was greeted at the hotel with smiles. My room was very nice with a view of the beach. Dinner was good that night and the staff was very friendly. Throughout my stay the staff was very good. Wedding reception was outstanding. Thank you to the staff of both the Le Grand and Grafton Beach resort for their outstanding hospitality.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank ChefJeff
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Me and my partner stayed here at Grafton for 2 weeks all inclusive from 4th December. Our holiday was superb and was only perfected thanks to the attentiveness and care of the staff. The food at Grafton was delicious especially the lunch a la carte menu and food at the beach bar was just as nice! The rooms were very clean and had all necessities. The view from our balcony was breathtaking! Overall, the stay was amazing value for money and we would definitely come again! Again, we would like to thank the staff!!

• Stayed December 2013
7 Thank framey26
Perth
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Stayed in this underrated Hotel end Nov- December for 14 nights & loved every minute of it :-) Yes the resort is having work done & may still have a bit to go, but I was hugely impressed by the location and can't find any fault with the staff.
From the manager Philip, right through to the gardener they couldn't do enough to help! Sheldon, Damien, Cheryl, Kenwin, Naz, Eva and local guide Ellis ensured this place will stay for ever in my memory of fantastic trips abroad and if I ever go back to Tobago this is definitely top of my list!
As usual I was at my awkward best on holiday but the staff here never faltered and all my moans & groans (over silly things) were dealt with quickly and always with a smile!
It's a shame to see this hotel getting such bad bad reviews sometimes as clearly the only fault with this hotel is the expectations of the guests who give the bad reviews.
Good luck to the hotel & hope one day to return!
Ali x

Room Tip: The rooms are all good, the main block is best for quietness.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Coco Reef Tobago
Coco Reef Tobago
#1 of 3 in Crown Point
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,489 reviews

Been to Grafton Beach Resort? Share your experiences!