“Excellent stay at Grafton Beach Hotel”

Grafton Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Black Rock
“Excellent stay at Grafton Beach Hotel”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

just spent a fabulous week at this hotel, which we were not expecting after reading some of the terrible reviews. Upon arrival the operations manager Alpha took our cases and personally escorted us to our room, gave us the relevant info regarding dining and left us to settle in. The customer service at this hotel was quite honestly first class, all members of staff greeted us with a warm welcome.
Dining was mainly a la carte for lunch and dinner, myself being a vegetarian, the chefs were totally amazing with some of the dishes they created for me. I tend to struggle with dining when on holiday, but this was probably the best food I have been served on a holiday. My partner was equally impressed with the dining experience as he loves seafood, and always enjoyed the catch of the day! Breakfast was buffet style, scrambled eggs, sausage&bacon, beans, toast, cereal,and lots of fresh fruit.
There are lots of positive things about this hotel, great staff, excellent food and dining service was just first class. The views of the ocean are breathtaking & make for a perfect ambience. We have been to Tobago before and stayed at a very expensive overrated hotel& I can honestly say Grafton Beach Hotel were far superior on many points.
However there are a few negatives such as the rooms need to be refurbished, which will be underway in winter 2013. Also the pool and beach areas are in need of some parasols and some new sun loungers, because it can get very hot in the sun. Apart from these issues this could potentially be a a returning holiday for us.
I also had no problem at all with the wifi which is available in all the public areas of the hotel, as I like to keep up to pace with news from home.
So there you go folks, I have tried to give a basic but honest review of my time spent at this hotel. I had a fabulous but restful stay here and would have no problem returning to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Room 320 has fantastic ocean views
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank missfi11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Our stay at Grafton was unpleasant and unfortunately negatively affected our memories of Tobago. That's the power of hotels, they can make or break your travel experience.

When we arrive in Tobago, our rooms weren't ready and we had to wait in the outdoor lobby for hours. You would think that management would offer us free cocktails or even a glass of water while we waited in the sun for our room. When our room was finally ready, we had to lug our heavy suitcases up two flights of stairs as there were no elevators of bellhops to assist.

The rooms were sub par, dingy and outdated. I was repulsed at the fact I had to spend three nights here. The tub had permanent stains (no shower mat was provided), iron board was ripped and the balcony door could not close properly thus letting in ants and mosquitoes.

As soon as we put our stuff down, we went downstairs to have the front office call us a cab (as they instructed in the welcome letter provided). The staff was absolutely horrible. They didn't have a list of taxi companies we could use and the office phone could not dial out certain numbers. We had walk around the lobby until we got internet access (shotty wifi) to purchase skype credits for we could make phone calls.

The only positive reviews I have for this hotel is that the views of the water were beautiful and it was right next door to the Seahorse Inn Restaurant & Bar where we had an excellent candle light dinner the last night.

Other than that, I would strongly recommend avoiding at all costs. The rooms are disgusting, staff sub-par and the actual location of the hotel is far from main attractions - so if you don't have a rental this can be very inconvenient.

Room Tip: Avoid Grafton. If you want to stay in this area, try Le Grand Courlan or the Seahorse Inn.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank yve003

Travelers are raving about these Black Rock hotels

Trinidad
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Breakfast was Buffet so you choose how much you eat and what you eat. Kids Pool and Adult pools. Squash Courts and Beach Areas. Restaurant on beach forefront. Mini mart and fast food outlets were within walking distance as well as other villas. Came for Republic Holiday in September 2012 last year. Got Taxi Service to go back to the port on time...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Tra25vel
Trinidad
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I must say, before going to this resort I read several reviews and was very doubtful but seeing is believing.I was totally impressed by the ambience ,service ,accomodation and hospitality of this resort.Samantha the hostess at the restaurant was very friendly and helpful.Everywhere you can see the true wonder and magnificence of nature.I am truly Grateful for such an experience gained for myself and my family at Grafton and in Tobago as well.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the children's pool as well as Stonehaven bay.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank cutiemichelle
Trinidad and Tobago
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Firstly the flight was late we arrived 10pm and the transportation was horrible it took us half and hour to get a taxi and they charged us $100 to go to the hotel,apparently it costed that much because of how late it was and how far the hotel was but the driver was very helpful.When we arrived the clerk told us there was only one room available so we took it for $939 or something plus late fees which cost $200 so the price was fine.The clerk was very kind and helpful i can't remember her name though,anyway the room was way too far and it only had wifi in the lobby area also because we got the last room it was the poorly kept room.The television didn't work so you couldn't see anything and the phone had no cord.There was also no entertainment it just had the pool the beach and thats it,the breakfast was delicious and the staff was very polite and pleasant we were treated very well my only complain was the room and the lack of activities.But i wouldn't urge anyone from not going there, if you want a relaxing time and friendly staff at a good price you should definitely visit. But if you want more excitement visit the hotel next door Le Grand Courlan

2 Thank Khaliesha B
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed August 12, 2013

When checking in we had to wait 35mins before being shown to our room. . This was much too long, especially considering that we had a cranky baby under 1 year old with us. All guests checking in were told that they had to check with housekeeping to make sure the rooms were available. Huh? Isn't that the reason that check out is at noon and check in is at 3pm- to ensure that all rooms would be clean and ready? This check should be done before a guest arrives.

We were offered fruit punch while we waited- not sure if this is usually done or it was because of the long wait The room we had was small but clean- with a nice view of a pool. We had not requested a crib for the baby as we brought our own- however a couple hours after check in housekeeping brought one for us which we of course turned away. If we had needed it- well we would have had to wait for it.

The beach is within walking distance at the base of the hotel. The pools were nice and the grounds well maintained. Housekeeping was very good as well.

For the price it was ok but cannot see myself going back any time soon.

2 Thank Azzata
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My husband, son and i spent a week at the resort for our anniversary. We were greeted by a lovely complimentary fruit cocktail drink. The view from the ocean view room was wonderful not to mention the sound of the crashing waves just outside your room when we slept. The staff at the restaurant is who made our stay exceptional. They were always friendly, remembered what our preferences were and always tried to make our time comfortable. I did however have a few hangups in that firstly i made my booking on Bookings.com and had some requests particularly a king size bed and a crib for my son however these were not granted. The room was generally small and the twin beds were extremely small. The staff were a bit tardy in cleaning the rooms initially i had to remind them of our room number. Overall we had a wonderful time.

2 Thank trini2012traveller
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort
Coco Reef Tobago
Coco Reef Tobago
#1 of 3 in Crown Point

Been to Grafton Beach Resort? Share your experiences!