“Don't waste your money!”

Grafton Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Black Rock
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Visited this hotel in July, 2013 with my husband and two kids. The best part of this hotel is the view. The view from the room is the best part of the hotel. Other than that the hotel is in need of repair, it is out dated and old, the pools are dirty and in need of cleaning, and the bathroom needs help. The tub leaked each time you took a shower and there was no bathmath on the floor. We rented a car and each time we needed to come out the security needed to let you out or in however they seemed annoyed each time you wanted to enter or exit and ignored you at times until we popped a horn....terrible attitude. The restaurant looked non functional but i did not even bother to check as we had all our meals and drinks elsewhere.
This hotel is terrible...i will not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms with views are great.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank s-ranj20

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed on an all inclusive deal that was a bargain, I think it was because mid-June is just before the season.

The rooms were fine. Not 5*, but fine for us. Very comfortable and clean. The cleaning staff were excellent and did a good job every day.

Our room overlooked the wonderful bay. What great views. A nice little balcony, and you could hear the waves all night. Wonderful.

The food was a little hit and miss but the staff tried to accommodate any requests. Some of the fish dishes were good. I had expected lots of fresh fruit but this was a bit limited.

We found all the staff very helpful and the manger Mr Singh, just wanted everyone to enjoy their holiday. He made a point if talking to all the guests every day.

The sea is very clear and lots of fish so take a snorkel. The beach is clean - no needles or rubbish. The pool was clean, though not very clearly marked for depths so keep an eye in children.

The only thing to improve it might have been one or two nights of some easy going entertainment/singers in the evening. But it was a relaxing place

We were picked up and taken back to the airport efficiently.

We had a couple of trips out (a little costly but great guide in Hans) but I was quite happy around the pool. Saw the turtles laying their eggs one evening. Not to be missed

If you want a laid back easy holiday with not many children about then for the money I think this should be top of the list.

• Stayed: June 2013
7  Thank Sunhatsinthesun
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Where: Grafton Beach Resort, Stone Haven Bay, PO Box 25, Black Rock, Tobago
Who: Hotel Manager Mr. George Dickerson. On duty manager Marion Woods-James
When: July 1, 2013
Fact: Our bathroom toilet was backed up.
Fact: We reported this problem to housekeeping, front desk, and management at 10:00 am.
Fact: The problem was not rectified until 8pm (10 hours later).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Lea T
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Tobago is a beautiful island, one that I will most definitely revisit - just not at the Grafton. On my recent trip to Tobago, we stayed at the Grafton Resort. Upon checking in, we discovered we had to take our luggage upstairs (no elevator, no bellhop), Opening the room door, dust bunnies went flying, so no one had swept recently - interesting. We had a garden view room, with an excellent view of the ocean - which is good as there was no garden. To get to the beach you have to go down a series of stairs and no easily accessible path to get onto the beach - which was lovely but filled with trees that are deadly. I asked why not remove them, and was told because they are deadly; we were advised to walk carefully and not touch or step on these trees.
Found an awesome cab driver Ellis who took us all over the island. He was very knowledgeable about what was going on - unlike the staff who could not tell you where to get breakfast.

Hotel staff was on vacation as they were not present and when they were, good luck in getting a response or prompt service. After dinner, we waited over 30 minutes for the bill - we should have left. Bar was never open, food expensive and not the best - breakfast $25 (US) and so not worth it. I was extremely pleased that I did not purchase the all inclusive option, I would have demanded my money back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Julie S
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We saw a cheap(ish) offer at this hotel and went without great expectations. It was wonderful! The hotel was great - on a hillside overlooking the lovely sandy beach. Everywhere was clean and well maintained and the staff were no kind and helpful.
The only disappointment was that we had to eat our meals at the hotel next door because of kitchen improvements.
If you like relaxation and a lovely beach, go here.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room and watch the sunset from your balcony
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Johnboyoy
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I recently stayed at the Grafton Resort and found that the hotel was clean, reception was very friendly and the pool was nice although they should clean out the bugs up by the swim up bar. What disappointed me was my room as I found it to be out dated. For an ocean front room, I somehow expected more. The floor tiles DEFINATELY needed to be spruced up and the color made it feel old. Also, breakfast wasn't what I expected as there weren't much choice at all besides the normal. The scrambled eggs in particular were not appetizing as they were sappy. To end on a positive note, the beach is within walking distance which was lovely and the beds were comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank JayJordan
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This is hotel is lovely. We stayed here for a week at the end of March 2013.

The staff are helpful and welcoming. The rooms are basic but are clean and are cleaned daily, comfortable and well equipped e.g. fridge, tv with English channels inc movies, hair dyer, iron and ironing board, kettle tea with tea, coffee etc, 2 double beds, table and chairs in the room and another set on the balcony over looking the sea.

My girlfriend and I loved sitting out in our balcony listening to the sound of the sea. Our room was at the front of the hotel and we were still only 50-60m from the sea.

The sun terrace is lovely to sun bath on all day long and to watch the sunset.

The food is really nice lots of healthily freshly cooked food fish, and meat in various spices and sauces, potatoes and rice. I think the reviews on tripadviser complaining about this hotels food are written by people who live on ready meals or are expecting 5* hotels selection of food.

The beach is about 2km long and is loveky non-sticky and soft sand and a nice gentle gradient all the way out. There is nothing horrible to stand on; we spent many an hour playing in the waves. Best if all leatherback turtles lay their eggs on this beach and if your lucky you will witness one of these majestical creatures pulling themselves up the beach.

We hired a car and went to most if the beaches in the island only to realise we had the best beach.

The hotel has a really nice beach bar with open and covered seating serving drinks included in the all inclusive and food that is not but the food is food and worth paying for. The home made chicken strips and chips for £4.50 are top draw and I like quality food.

Had some if the best fish (king fish) that I've ever eaten at this hotel.

Hopefully I will stay at this hotel again!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort
1 mi away
Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts
Coco Reef Resort & Spa Tobago

Been to Grafton Beach Resort? Share your experiences!