“Grafton Beach is magic”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Black Rock
Bude, Cornwall, uk
“Grafton Beach is magic”
Reviewed December 2, 2003

I have just returned from the most wonderful holiday ever at the Grafton Beach in Tobago! The accomadation was very good,the food was top class at every meal and restaurant.The majority of the staff were very very pleasant,( I could use more superlatives but keep it simple).To name a few.Michelle,Candice and Vernon in the main bar,alll the girls in the Ocean View restaurant,Chef Lyndon and waitress Janet in Neptune and last but not least Devon and Jevon at the Bucanneer Beach bar.On the beach there was no hassle with the traders in fact they were all helpful and welcoming.I went to many places on the Island and was always welcomed with genuine smiles and greetings and spent many a happy hour at "rum shops" liming! A place not to be missed is The First Historical Cafe on the Scarborough to Roxburgh road at Studly Park.It is fascinating-allow plenty of time for your visit.Sunday School is a must. I am 60 years old, now feeling 25 after the best holiday ever. I'll be back!!!!!!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Reviewed November 21, 2003

We started our holiday 6th october 2003 , what a fantastic holoiday.
hotel was lovely, food lovely, but most of all people were calm and welcoming,especially michelle at the bar,and devon and jevon on the beach bar .and as for the beach vendors they were the most loviest people, big up to ainsley and his t-shirts and roger with his craft store and oxley with his jewellery, all of them lovely people, go to sunday school in a taxi, you will love it if you like steel band or reggae after 11, highlight of the holiday, we our in our 40,s and our daughter is 16 and we all had a fantastic time together. we will be back there next year, we did,nt want to leave.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 5, 2003

I have just returned from a marvellously relaxing 2 weeks in Tobago.
This is the old caribbean where everything is relaxed, the people have a smile on their face and time knows no bounds. We stayed at the Grafton Beach which despite some previous indifferent reviews I found to be of the highest quality. For a 3 star hotel the rooms were spacious and cleaned daily and the food was excellent with a number of choices of dish for both lunch and dinner -there is something for everyone. Both my 10 year old and 1 year old ate well and there was always something available for them. Yes, there is a problem with getting sun beds by the pool but this is more down to guests "reserving" them early doors. If you are up by about 8.30 you ahould be okay - if not there is always the gorgeous beach which is very spacious. I found no real problem with getting pool towels generally and if they did run out there were usually more in about half and hour or so. There were plenty of staff around and they couldn't do enough to help - in particualar the guys on the bar in the evening were always cheery and candis serving at the pool bar and main bar was excellent in making you feel welcome.

The entertainment is distinctly low key but there is something every night but then this is Tobago - if its nightclubs you are looking for this is the wrong island.

A couple of tips - take plenty of mossie repellant and if you want dinner between 7 and 8pm then book - all other times seemed okay. All in all - beautiful island, great hotel , lovely people. I look forward to returning again very soon.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cardiff, Wales. U.K.
Reviewed October 24, 2003

Gill and I stayed at the Grafton Beach Resort from the 29th September to 13 October 2003.

We were very pleased with our room (311) which was kept impecable by the maid "Katy" on a daily basis throughout out stay. She changed the bed linen every two days or so and changed the towels almost on a daily basis without being asked.

We were fortunate to have an excellent sea view from our room which overlooked the gardens, beach and a wide sea panorama. Plumbing was excellent with a superb shower and constant hot water.

As our stay progressed we realised that the staff tried their hardest to accomodate guests requests. We asked for a kettle for our room and received one immediately from the friendly reception staff.

Meals provided at the resort were superb. We could not fault the quality of the food or the service we were given by the catering staff.
We would like to especially say a big THANK YOU to Jana, Lecia, Acleeta, Tracy and Ronaldo.

In charge of all the catering staff was Philbert who went out of his way to ensure that everything was as perfect as possible for our meals and had us laughing each evening.

The Beach Bar staff such as Devon and Leroy were excellent too, along with Latoya and Belinda who served lunch to us frequently down at the beach.

We found the beach itself to be better than we had come to expect. It was clean and we generally had no problem getting a free lounger or two. Care should be taken when paddling or swimming as the tidal currents can be a little strong some days. I am 15 stone and I got knocked over by waves on two occasions!

You will find beach traders there every day. In our experience all bt one were very friendly and not pushy. The one exception being a raster called "Joe" who is a pain trying to sell you a fresh Aloe Vera rub on the beach.

One trader called Mathew makes jewelry on the beach. He is extremely friendly and loves to chat and learn. He was very helpful to us several times in finding a good spot on the beach!

Another beach trader is Mary. She will give you a really relaxing massage on your lounger for 100 TT's (approx £10 or $15 or so). We found this service really useful after our longhaul flight to Tobago, and had another massage just before we flew home! Well worth the money.

Our only (constructive) criticism is that the swimming pool could be larger for the number of guests at the resort - although we preferred the atmosphere - and the breeze - down on the beach!

All in all, our stay at the Grafton Beach was excellent and much better than we had expected.

10 Thank gillanded
Reviewed September 28, 2003

My family and I just returned from our stay at this hotel and I must say that it was like being in a fantasy. The hotel itself is beautiful and the rooms are quite posh not to mention clean as well. The pool is beautiful, but we were a family of six women and we preffered to sunbathe on the beach which is a short walk accross the street from the hotel. The beach is lovely and also quite clean. There are a few beach traders located there but if you are not interested in their services you just say a polite no and they leave you alone. The best part of the entire vacation was having our nails done on the beach by a girl called Rachel. Her base is on another beach lower down the road but she usualy pops by the grafton beach on some days. She is very talented and will do any pattern on your nails right there on the beach. From palm trees in the sunset to simple french manicures. This is a very relaxing experience and we all will have our nails done again when we return in December.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Plymouth, England
Reviewed September 28, 2003

I have just returned after an excellent week at the Grafton. After reading the other reviews I though I must balance the negative reviews I have read. If you are expecting 5 star service then go to a 5 star hotel! The grafton is excellent value for money, the room I had was a garden view room, which had excellent views of the carribean (a bonus) no problem with the water or the air conditioning. The food was excellent, but yes to get the popular 8/8.30PM times in the restaurant you had to breakfast by 7.30AM. There was a lack of loungers by the pool, but I could get one if I got to the pool by 9.30, there was always plenty of room on the beach, the sand was very comfortable to lie on, so who needs a lounger? The evening entertainment was typically carribean ( steel drums, reggae, calypso etc), and there are usually 2 acts per night. The pool bar was very popular at lunchtime and towards sun down, the main bar was popular in the evening and I found the service excellent, there could be a wait if somebody come up and orders 4 different cocktails, but then the only alternative would to be pre-make the cocktails, so the wait was worth it. I found the staff all very friendly and yes, sometimes it could be a little slower than in the UK, but that is part of Tobagan life, so just live with it and enjoy. The only slight niggle I had is that the restaurant has a long trouser policy for men in the evening, no shorts, no jeans, which I was not aware of before arriving.

6 Thank simzPlymouth_England
Coco Reef Tobago
Coco Reef Tobago
#1 of 3 in Crown Point
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,489 reviews

Been to Grafton Beach Resort? Share your experiences!