“The Only Place to Stay in Tobago”

Plantation Beach Villas
New York
“The Only Place to Stay in Tobago”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I stayed here with my family for about one week.

All I can say is WOW- we all loved the Plantation Beach Villas!

First, when we arrived one of my family members was very sick from the ferry ride. Even though it was not time to check in and they were still cleaning the villa, they allowed him to lay down and checked on him to make sure that he was feeling alright.

The service was absolutely excellent. The front desk staff and management were very personable. The bartender was a delight and made excellent drinks. The security staff patrolled at night to make sure the grounds were safe. The cleaning staff was so friendly. We were assigned the same housekeeper for the week. We also hired her to prepare meals for us. We purchased the food at the grocery store and paid her a fee. She (Jillian) was an amazing chef. I'm sorry I can't remember everyone else's names right now, but you were all great!

The villa had three bedrooms and 3 1/2 bathrooms. There was one bedroom downstairs with two twin beds and a full private bath. In the hallway downstairs there was a bathroom with a toilet and sink (no shower or bathtub). There was a sofa downstairs that could be used for sleeping if necessary. Upstairs, there were two bedrooms with full beds and both had their own private bathrooms. There was a washer/dryer upstairs. There were a/c units in each bedroom. It was lovely during the day to have all the doors and windows open and feel the tropical breeze.

The beach that the property is located on is superb. The water was not rough and perfect for swimming. We snorkeled there as well. We could also take lounge chairs from the pool area and put them on the beach.

Some of the villas are at the top of a hill, so if you have leg problems walking up hills, you might want to request a villa by the bottom of the hill. You will park your car next to the villa and walk back and forth to the beach.

This was an unforgettable vacation for my family. We owe much of it to the Plantation Beach Villas-the only place to stay in Tobago.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Saint Louis Park, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed May 29, 2013

While we stayed nearby at a nearby resort, several folks we were traveling with stayed at the Villas and we spent much of our time there. It's not always easy finding good service in Tobago but Sean and Ivan at the Plantation Villas delivered. The Villas were pristine and the pool was perfect, opening directly on to a gorgeous beach. Ivan was so much fun as a bartender - dancing as he served us our drinks. And Sean was a great host - professional, courteous, and very quick with his services.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida, United States
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Before getting to the villa I was in touch with the resort's managers Sean and Fionna. They arranged a taxi to be waiting for us at the airport (cost was about $17US and about a 15 minute drive). The taxi driver who picked us up was Kurt and was very professional. Sean gave me information on the area and things to do ahead of time. He along with Fionna were very, very hospitable! What a great team of people they have working at Plantation Beach Villas!!! I was glad to find out that my neighbors purchased this stay at the ARC auction that benefits children and adults with disabilities. Sean (the resort manager) donates this stay once a year to help this wonderful cause!

We were a total of 6 and stayed in villa #4. We were surprised to arrive to a homemade local meal by our villa attendant, Jillian. There also was beer, fruits, juice, coffee, tea, eggs, etc. to get us through the first day! Wow!!! You can request that your villa attendant cooks for you for an extra $20US a day. I highly encourage you to do this. Jillian is an amazing cook (and great with kids)!!! You have to try her geera chicken and her curry goat!!!

I found the villa to be very nice and comfortable. It is on a hill and has 3 bedrooms in total each with an air conditioning unit. Two are on the second floor with a queen size bed in each and one on the first floor with two twin size beds. The top bedrooms have balconies and you get a small view to the ocean. It has a nice large balcony on the first floor. Each morning we put food for the birds and had many different species come visit us! There are 3 full bathrooms and a half bathroom by the villa's entrance. The kitchen is fully equipped with cooking utensils and pots. There is a gas grill in the balcony. You are given a horn for in case of emergencies. Each night they have a security guard! There is one tv which is located on the living room area on the first floor.

The pool is a small walk down the hill and across a road. It was always clean! There is a small bar by the pool along with a net to play volleyball, ping pong, etc.. The bar attendant Ivan, played with my son ping pong and was very nice. Drink prices at the bar are really reasonable. They have two kayaks you can rent.

The beach is a small walk from the pool. At the time we went the waves were a bit rough but I actually loved that! It was a lot of fun!!! At night time we were very lucky to see a leatherback sea turtle nesting about a few feet down from the villa's beach. You should try and get in contact with the turtle patrol from SOS Tobago http://sos-tobago.org/ . They can let you know when and where a turtle is nesting. This was the highlight of my trip! It truly was an amazing experience to witness the turtle nesting!

Near the villas there is a fish market within walking distance were you can purchase fresh fish for a great price. However, make sure to select your own fish and not get the pre packaged bag (we got a couple of pieces with too many bones this way!). There is a small grocery store within walking distance and some restaurants. However, to get to a larger grocery store you will have to go in a car. We went to Penny Savers which was about a 7 minute drive. We rented a small van to go around the island from Sherman rental car for $55US per day. They delivered the van to the villa and picked it up from the airport.

Plantation Beach Villa is located a couple minutes from the catamaran cruise Island Girl. You get a 10% discount for staying at Plantation Beach. Fort Bennet is about a 5 minute drive from the villa. The area of Bucco where they host Sunday School (on Sundays) is only a 6-7 minute drive from Plantation Beach Villas. Pidgeon Point which is near the airport and beach is about a 15 minute drive from the Villas.

Hope my review was helpful and that you have a great time while visiting Tobago and staying at the wonderful Plantation Beach Villas!!!

Cheers!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jeanette P
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 24, 2013

These villas are huge homes that can comfortably fit six adutls, three couples, or a family. The villas are located higher up in the hills, The villas are very charming. They are open floor planned homes. The house is surrounded by large balconies, on both floors. Our balcony had a whole outdoor seating space and outdoor dining room. It was great.

Each room has its own bathroom and they all open out onto the balcony. The rooms also have personal air conditioners which keep the rooms nicely cool while the ocean air streams through the living room. The villa could be updated a bit but as it is presently, it is perfectly comfortable. The bathrooms are clean with many fresh towels available.

When I arrived, I was soo pleasantly surprised to find the kitchen completely stocked. Eggs, butter, bread, juice, fruti, coffee, beer...they thought of everything. There was even a fresh dish of rice, peas, with chicken. It was a real home cooked meal, in your own house. The best part is that you can have one of the ladies cook for you.

The property is safe and you can walk around. There is a night guard who closes the property off. However, if you need him to get up and let you in, he will. I came home one night after 4am.

The only downers, are the pool and the pool area are small. Additionally, the ocean is tempermental. Most days the water looked a little to rough to swim in and other days the water looked calm. There are no beach chairs on the beach. You can pull them from the pool area. The beach is clean and wide enough to walk along the water.

Second downer, the hill leading up to the villa is steep. If you are an older person or have trouble walking up hills, the steepness might be an issue.

Finally, it makes sense to sort out a driver while staying here. The hotel is a bit further out and its hard to grab taxis from the street in this area.

If you are in the need of a driver, call Roy Quashie. His number- +1 868-478-3703. He is an awesome driver. He is a native of the island and knows everyone. The upside of that is that he knows all the great spots to eat local food, roads and back roads, and make suggestions of things to do. Additionally, he is reliable and trustworthy. I would text him when to pick us up and he’d be there. One night he even came and picked us up from a nightclub at 4am!! That’s what you call real service.

If you in the need for information pertaining to vaccinations, travel tips, and medical advice, visit…http://internationaltravelclinic.org/.

The International Travel Clinic is physically located in Miami, Florida but their staff can be reached from anywhere in the world. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and avid travelers. The advice they provide is based both in personal and professional experiences!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
East Quogue
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My wife and I were walking along Grafton Beach and spotted a swimming pool behind a picket fence lined with palm trees. We walked up the path and discovered the pool and bar area of Plantation Beach Villas. We met Sean , the manager, and he gave a a run down of amenities and price. We were shown one of six identical villas on the hillside overlooking the beach. We took a chance and booked for two nights but ended up staying for the rest of our vacation. Plantations is tropical and serene. The villas are two stories with 2 bedrooms upstairs each with a full bath and terrace. Downstairs is a third bedroom with bath. The living room has tv,stereo and bookshelves. There is a phone and local calling is part of the deal, The lower deck is accessible through enormous french doors that fold back to open up the view to the gardens below and the sea. The kitchen has all neccessary for cooking and plenty of ice for drinking. Each bedroom has A/C.
The best part of the house is the daily maid service. This includes kitchen chores and laundry service. Machines are located inside the villa. For an aditional charge the maid will shop for and prepare meals. The maid for our villa is Nadine. She is very professional, very friendly and an excellent cook.
The pool bar serves no food but provides a first rate barman named Ivan. He is very well versed on all things Tobago and is happy to answer any and all questions.
Plantations is like a home away from home located in a setting that is close to ideal. We will return as often as we can.

Room Tip: fitness center located in hotel on adjacent property
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank insideman
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The villa I stayed in was located atop a very steep hill, which made for beautiful views. The view was the only good thing about this villa. The villa felt like it has not been updated since built. A maid comes in daily to clean, but as you will see in my pictures the living room ceiling fan has not been dusted since installation. There were bugs and ants prevalent in the kitchen and bathroom. I am from the Caribbean, so I am used to bugs/insects, but if my mother can control bugs and ants from becoming a problem, then shame on this hotel. One morning as I slept I felt something crawling on my face; I caught the insect and realised it was a large ant. The night before when I pulled back the sheets I saw a small spider (I think) that I had to kill. The establishment provides a pamphlet on the hotel and activities. In the pamphlet it stated that the bar and grill, located by the pool, opened at 11 am. One morning I went down to the pool with the hope of grabbing a quick bite. At about 11:15 am a gentleman started stocking the outdoor bar; I approached and asked if there was a menu I could look at. He responded that the bar and grill did not serve food. Interesting since it was called a bar and grill, and the pamphlet provided by the hotel indicated that one could order food from the bar and grill. Granted the villa did have a kitchen in which one can cook food, but I was only staying at the villa for a wedding and did not bring or buy provisions with which to cook. Also, the shower needed bleach as the shower curtain was very moldy. I am biased towards towards all-inclusive resorts so I found this establishment rather lacking.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank Kathy C
IslandGirl081, Manager at Plantation Beach Villas, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Kathy,
Thanks for your review. Our resort was booked, all six villas by the person who organised the wedding party. This always causes a challenge in that we're communicating with only one person but relying on her to pass on the information to 36. At our Check-In briefing guests would have been told again, that our Beach Bar was not serving food at this time, but with this particular wedding group couples were coming in at different times and in most instances we only met one couple on Check-In at each villa, and obviously the food arrangements had not been passed on to you all.
We are in the process of upgrades, and this being the slow season, other than this Wedding party, September to November are when these are done. Due to the climate, particle board fan blades de-laminate and do look unsightly so these are replaced regularly, the one pictured has been already, as well as others in that and the other villas.
We do what we can to control bugs, but as our villas are very open, and the area very natural and green, we do get some "passing through".
As can be seen in the other reviews, at PBV we strive to maintain the highest standards, and I assure you we will see what needs to be adjusted to ensure that customer satisfaction is maintained.
Thanks again for your frank comments,
Sean
Trinidad
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We were in Tobago for our son's wedding and rented 5 of the 6 villas. All us locals and some foreign family stayed at the Villas. What a lovely location and facility - the villas are comfortable and well appointed and situated on the lovely Grafton Beach. The staff very friendly, helpful and professional.

P.S. (Pretty certain that those who stayed at other locations (overseas family and friends) were envious of our accommodation. After all they spent most of their time with us at Plantation Beach Villas.)

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts
Coco Reef Tobago
Coco Reef Tobago
#1 of 3 in Crown Point

Been to Plantation Beach Villas? Share your experiences!