“Horrible Service”

The Pavilion Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 4 Restaurants in Black Rock
Cuisines: Caribbean, Contemporary
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Pavilion Restaurant and Clubhouse Bar is located at Tobago's premier resort, The Villas at Stonehaven, close to Stonehaven Bay.The restaurant serves delicious Caribbean, Local and International cuisine prepared by internationally trained chefs. Casual lunches and a la carte dinners are availble from Tuesday to Sunday (closed on Monday).The Restaurant also features a half moon infinity pool, ideal for a refreshing dip before or after lunch. The impressive and welcoming Clubhouse lounge and bar is the perfect spot for a pre or post dinner drink and serves an extensive range of Caribbean cocktails and wines. Happy hour from Tuesday to Sunday. The Restaurant and Clubhouse facilities are also available for wedding receptions, family entertaining, private/group dinners, and corporate events.
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I came with a group of 9 for happy hour. The waiter was incredibly rude and acted extremely inconvenienced by us wanting to place an order. He immediately told us we couldn't change our order, even before we placed it. He set the drinks down on the table and told us "get your own, I don't remember faces and drink orders." That was just the tip of the iceberg. It was probably the worst service I have ever had anywhere. It's too bad, because it is a lovely setting.

Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

Actually one of the best dining experiences made in Tobago. The location is beautiful and view is stunning. The service seems not too friendly in the beginning but increases immediately once you order properly. The food is very delicious and very well presented. Overall definitely one of the best restaurants on the islands. We would certainly recommend to go there after having seen so many low average ones.

1  Thank Michael K
Reviewed April 5, 2014

If I can give a negative star I would because I have never been to a restaurant where the server ended up scamming you. I should have seen the red flags from the moment we walked in, this includes:
1) I called ahead to reserve a table because we are a party of 7 but when we arrived no table has been set up for us
2) The server had a grudge when I informed them about the reservation we made. There was no apology or even mention about this mishap
3) We ordered water and were dying of thirst, we had to remind the server more than 3 times before the water was finally "brought" to our table ("slammed down" to be more precise)
4) Although the place seems clearly under-staffed, but our server chose to be more attentive to other diners who appeared more "well-heeled" than us. Our party didn't turn up wearing suits/ties/dresses as we had a long road-trip most part of the day.
5) Since our server had a grudge against us and a lot of our request seemed to have fell on deaf ear, we had to source our own cutlery and etc...

I can go on and on with more examples but what I encountered end of our meal was really second to none. Since we had a big party between us and we didn't have the option to split the check, we ended up spending a bit of time working out the cash from each one of us. By the time we settled up (counting and re-counting numerous time to ensure everything were correct), we handed over the cash to our server and proceeded to leave the restaurant. In less than a minute, she called us back and informed us we short-changed her by about $200 USD!!! Now I know my friends very well and I know no one in our group would have done that, so we proceeded to do a re-count with her and started to have the suspicion that something wasn't quite right. It was just too much of a coincidence that what has gone missing are the Trini hundred dollar bills. We requested to speak to the restaurant manager and the one on duty even threatened to call the police on us! Eventually she called the supervisor who decided that we are not responsible for this incident and we were let go.

In hindsight we should have counted the cash in front of server and get a mutual agreement when we settled up, but since these type of "scams" rarely happen in the US we certainly didn't have our guard up at the time. This experience definitely ruined our evening, and put a damper to our idyllic vacation.

1  Thank angelwink
Stonehav, General Manager at The Pavilion Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

We take great care to ensure that our guests enjoy their great dining experience; we have clearly not succeeded in meeting your expectations. Please accept our apologies.
Please contact the hotel to further discuss the problems you experience with your server.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Oh. My. God. I don't even know where to start. My dinner at The Pavillion Restaurant is without a doubt the worst dining experience I have ever had. I am not exaggerating. The restaurant itself and the view were beautiful. The food is OK, though very American and extremely overpriced. However, what made this an exceptionally bad visit was our server. I have never been treated so poorly by a server in my life. People who have visited the Carribean might have noticed that the service is a little sassy, which can be fun. Our server was mean and discourteous. She was upset with us from the moment we sat down, though I am still not sure why. The restaurant had one other table when we arrived; we made reservations, they knew to expect us, but we still felt like we were inconveniencing them. Our table was not set and despite asking, and I am not joking, 3 or 4 times for place settings, I finally had to grab some myself from a nearby table. We had to ask the server repeatedly for water, drinks, anything, which was always met with a large sigh and an eye roll. After a drink was literally slammed down on the table after several requests, we stopped asking. They were also out of almost everything, it seemed. The food was mediocre at best and an order or two came out wrong. When we tried to correct an appetizer order it was taken away and the correct replacement never came. When other reviewers mention that you are treated poorly here, they are not lying. This restaurant almost ruined my honeymoon.

2  Thank Catherine C

Thank you for you taking the time to give us feedback on your dining experience. We apologize for the problems you experienced with your server at our restaurant. We thrive to ensure that our guests have a memorable dining experience; we have clearly not succeeded in meeting your expectations.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

We ordered callaloo soup but were presented with pumpkin with no explanation. The venue was empty, the waitress was clearly unhappy to be there and the CD player was broken so there was no music. We overheard a row in the kitchen towards the end of the evening. This was a shame as the food we ate was good enough and the venue has potential.

1  Thank Puddy M
Stonehav, General Manager at The Pavilion Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback on your dining experience. We apologize for the error with your order.
We strive to ensure that our guests have a great dining experience; we have clearly not succeeded in meeting your expectations.
Our house music system is fully functional.
We are happy to hear that you were pleased with the food.
Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again.