“Yummy food and horses” 5 of 5 bubbles

Gauksmyri
Akureyri, Iceland
“Yummy food and horses”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

I am not the one to write rewiews but I think this place deserves all good publicity it can get. Me and my boyfriend where looking for a place to stay, try local food and if possible try to ride icelandic horses. We feel at home from the start after meeting a very nice lady from the staff at the parkinglot who told us stories about the area and helped us to plan the next two days and she was fluent in SWEDISH! We enjoyed a fantastic meal with a very nice salatbar, Best selection of greens sofar in iceland, the meat was super even though it was a bit scary to eat horse but it taste very good. Best of all was the homemade fresh bread and the great chokoladcake we got as a desert. I really really recomend this restaurant! Room was cosy, warm and clean and breakfast fresh. We enjoyed the farm with the "family" feeling and all animals everywhere. We talked to the hens and looked at horses. We where also very lucky to see a horse show, very interesting to learn about the icelandic horse. Well done!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mikaela H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Beerwah, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

Lovely place! Very cosy interial with lots of artworks mostly horse themed. Lovely surrounding with lots of nice views. Terrific food with a genorus salat bar which is not so common in iceland. Very friendly and helpful staff. I got a nice chat with the lovley cook who kindly told me all about riding icelandic horses and making the best bread I have ever taste! A custom made tomato/garlek yeast bread. I really recomned this place and am looking forward to come again for a longer stay with horse riding.

Room Tip: 2nd floor facing the front is bigger.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Caitlin H
Binyamina, Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

We could not book the hotel on line because it was fully booked but when we called we got a reservation immediately.
The hotel is located in a horse farm with beautiful view over the valley.
The first thing we were asked upon checking in was to remove our shoes or cover them with a plastic cover like in hospitals or clean rooms. It made us feel uncomfortable. Needless to say that we had to move in the hotel with the shoe cover or with in room hotel slippers all the time.
The room was clean but extremely small, there areonly 40 centimeters from each side of the bed and 80 centimeters in front of the bed and that is all.
Dining room is nice with glass walls toward the view.
Dinner was nothing to right home about with a fix buffet menu.
Breakfast was extremely poor, they served sardines that were taken out of the can, I expected more (and also got more at other Icelandic hotels).
For what we payed it was a big disappointment.
The place really has potential, without the "shoes mania" and with a better cook (even with the small room) everything could look different.
I would recommend avoiding this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Hvammstangi hotels

Shropshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

What a lovely place to stay, can't praise it highly enough.

The place itself is smart and clean with very pleasant rooms and facilities. The staff are simply lovely, very helpful and very welcoming. Outside shoes are removed in reception and guest slippers are provided to keep the floors clean and feet warm. Wifi is provided free of charge, although this is quite a slow connection, but I was surprised to find any connection at all this far out in the wilderness. A desk top computer is also provided for guests to use in a quiet area near reception.

The rooms are not large but are very well appointed with lovely en-suite 'wet room'. Rooms were very clean and were warm too - outside temperatures were very cold.

Eating there was a joy, the dining room was lovely - light and airy with panoramic windows looking out into the icy wilderness of Iceland. Food was plentiful and very enjoyable and they provided us with the most wonderful packed lunches.

Nights were very quiet and the beds very comfortable resulting in a very restful night.

Room Tip: From what I saw, all of the rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Oracle_Al
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Fantastic facilities, people, accommodation and even has wifi in the middle of nowhere!!! The service and the food was FANTASTIC - highly recommended!! Particularly good for school trips and large parties travelling to Iceland!!!

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Andrew M
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

If you are driving between Akureyri and Reykjavik, be sure to stop here for a break. The waffles are the best in Iceland - light, crispy, and served, of course, with a generous dollop of whipped cream. The restaurant has a gorgeous view - we whiled away an hour watching some horses frolic in the tall grass. The place is expanding and will soon have a Raven's lookout tower which will provide wonderful views of the surrounding countryside. If we had planned our time better, we would have stayed the night and gone for an early morning ride before continuing our drive. The staff is friendly and welcoming and the Icelandic horses are very well cared for.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gail N
Norridgewock, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

I did not stay at the lodge, so I can't comment about the rooms or the buffett. I did, however, go horseback riding at Gauksmyri and it was the highlight of my most recent trip to Iceland. The lodge is located off Rt. 1 just outside of Hvammstangi and we stopped in on our way back to Keflavik without a reservation, hoping to be able to go riding. I've wanted to ride in Iceland ever since I began researching for my first trip a few years ago, but because there is so much to do I didn't get the chance. The gentleman at the reception desk was very helpful and friendly and got me set up to do the 1 1/2 hr ride which would be starting soon and said I was free to look around while I waited. There were only two other riders joining the 1pm ride so we really had the full attention of our instructor, which was awesome for me as I have very little experience riding. After about a 1/2 lesson we hit the trail. The horses are very well trained and gentle, making for a very pleasant experience, and of course the scenery couldn't be better. It was so much fun and our instructor (I believe her name is Annalina (sp?) was the nicest and most friendly person I met in Iceland. If you want to go horseback riding in Iceland I highly recommend Gauksmyri Lodge. I'm already day dreaming about going again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank annabanana245
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hvammstangi
Hotel Laugarbakki
#5 of 8 in Hvammstangi
Brekkulaekur Guesthouse
Brekkulaekur Guesthouse
#1 of 1 in Laugarbakki

Been to Gauksmyri? Share your experiences!