“Good local experience”

Dining options: Reservations
Fairfax, Virginia
“Good local experience”
Reviewed September 13, 2011

The food was good quality and generous portions. The restaurant is divided into sections: dining, lounge and pub. The pub can be a bit noisy and not without some local color. The lounge can be a bit noisy. The dining room appears to not be open many nights. Prices seem a bit high for a small town pub and restaurant.

• Visited September 2011

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Excellent restaurant with a personal touch”
Reviewed June 26, 2011

The Yew Tree restaurant underwent renovation and a change of management last year - it's now been tastefully yet authentically decorated and more importantly - the food is just delicious! There's a lovely pub adjoining it and rooms available too. Full marks to Anne and her team - we will be back!

• Visited June 2011
Ireland
“Tell Me Why I Haven't Been Before!!!”
Reviewed April 23, 2011

Just back from The Yew Tree & wow what a surprise!
I have lived 10 minutes from The Yew Tree for 7 years & have never been; I didn't even know it was there.
Its in the Chester Beatty Hotel in Ashford, but its at the side beside a petrol station so you would never even notice it (hence I have never been).
Anyway down to the night.. we were celebrating a family members birthday (they had been here a couple of times & were raving about it), to be honest I was skeptical given the location (beside a petrol station). I was shocked when we arrived; the place is really cosy & welcome we got of the manager was great (she was really friendly). We ordered the Onion Soup, Chicken Liver Pâté & Black Pudding with Poached Egg & Potatoe Cake. The Soup was really rich with a great deep rich onion flavor, the Chicken Liver Pâté was served with toasted chiabatta & a salad, it was huge & really smooth, the black pudding looked amazing the potatoe cake was really crispy & when you cut into the egg it oozed over the pudding & created a really rich sauce. For mains we order the rib eye, chicken parpadelle & cod with cauliflower purée. The beef was pretty good quality & was nicely charred on the outside, I cant comment on the cooking of the beef as the party members eating it ordered them well done. The Cod was beautifully cooked & the portion was extremely generous, it was served on a bed of mashed potatoe with a red pepper butter & cauliflower purée. Now the dish was beautiful save one component; the "cauliflower purée". I think that the use of the word purée was a little loose, it was basically mashed cauliflower & not the best at all (it was very lumpy) & the quantity was far too big, I was expecting a cauliflower purée that would be found in Coquille Saint Jacques' but anyway this was the only down side to the evening & the manager/waitress more than made up for any shortcomings that the purée may have mad. We had the Apple Pie, Eton Mess & Crème Brullé, the pie was full of fruit & served warm, the eton mess was not as expected (it came as a full meringue-not broken up) but it tasted the same & the brullé was ok, for me personally there was too much sugar on it but again it tasted lovely. I am delighted that I went to The Yew Tree & will definitely be back. If you are visiting "Mount Usher Gardens" it would be a prefect spot to stop for some good food with great service.

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank Mclaren1Ireland
Ashford
“Great Food in a Wonderful Setting”
Reviewed February 2, 2011

My husband and I recently had the pleasure of dining in The Yew Tree at The Chester Beatty Inn in Ashford, Co. Wicklow. Firstly the layout of the tables was ideal; no tables were close to each other and giving us privacy whilst enjoying the atmosphere and ambience in a beautiful setting. The Curved Bar off the restaurant is particularly impressive. The atmospheric light coupled with candles throughout created a romantic environment. The food is a special treat of a very high standard - well worth a recommendation and recurring visits.

• Visited January 2011
Dublin, Ireland
“Beautifull Meal & ambience”
Reviewed January 10, 2011

Having visited the Chester Beatty Inn at the beginning of 2010 we were a little disopointed with our meal then and having heard that new management were in place since April and a new restaurant name we decided last Friday 7th to give it another go and goodness what a difference in the ambience of the restaurant and in particular the food and wine list. My wife started with the Goats Cheese Basket followed by a selection of fish and I started with Spinach filled ravioli and mushrooms followed by Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb. All can be summed up in one word 'Delicious'. Starters and mains were followed by delightfull deserts of Mille Fille and Mixed Berry Parfait.
The candle lit tables and lighted Yew Trees together with the personal attention of the new owner and our waitress made for a very enjoyable evening and we will certainly return within the very near future.The restaurant however is only open on Friday or Saturday at present but don't let that put you off.

• Visited January 2011