“Bridie -- The Personification of the Accomodating Hostess”
Review of Beach Cove B&B

Beach Cove B&B
Connecticut
“Bridie -- The Personification of the Accomodating Hostess”
Reviewed April 15, 2006

My daughter and I had the pleasure of staying with Bridie and her family in March. Our story is unusual because, on the way to her house, we lost the clutch in our rental car. We literally coasted into her driveway and, while it's true she's out in the middle of nowhere, let me assure you, I was never happier than when I saw her driveway come into view.

We told Bridie our story, and she immediately assisted us in getting through to the rental car company. Then, she kindly offered to take my daughter and I into town, since it was going to be 4-5 hours before our new car would arrive. Later, when the driver couldn't find her home in the pitch dark, she jumped in her own car and went out to find him and bring him back. Bridie was nothing short of a Godsend.

As for her home, it was lovely, and just like the pictures. It is situated right across from a lovely beach, with beautiful views of the bay. You could hear the surf from your window, and smell the lovely salt air. Everything was spotless and well cared for.

There are great walks nearby, including a rigorous hill that overlooks the bay and a lovely old church and graveyard. And, while some would characterize this as anything but a destination location, I would prefer to think of this area as relatively untouched by the newer "progressive" Ireland -- by that, I mean that the slower more personal way of doing things obviously still matters.

Breakfast was great, especially inasmuch as you would have it overlooking the majestic views. The Slea Head Loop is a great drive as well (although I do agree with a prior reviewer that, at least at night, some of these roads require nerves of steel).

All in all, I don't think you could go wrong staying with Bridie if your travels take you to this lovely part of Ireland.

• Stayed March 2006
3 Thank Patrick_Frechette

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Cali
Reviewed March 14, 2006

We stayed at this B & B because my father wanted to go to Skellig Rock. The B & B is very lovely and private and the owner is just delightful. Breakfast was wonderful and Bridie actually sat and visited with us. She also upgraded my room to an en suite after we arrived and I realized I would sharing a communal bathroom. The B & B is right on the beach and the website is exactly what it looks like. That being said, unless you have a specifc reason for going there like the Skelligs, there is absolutely nothing around. There is a town about 15-20 minutes away with a very scary one way road that you wouldn't want to drive at night. So I was very bored and couldn't wait to leave the next day. And the weather was so foggy that we weren't able to go to the islands anyways. Very desolate location....

• Stayed June 2005
3 Thank riley3!
Marietta, GA
Reviewed February 21, 2006

My husband and I spent 4 nights at this awesome B&B in March of 2005. While laying in bed we watched the waves hitting the beach each morning.

Bridie was incredibly kind and very helpful. She always had a good suggestion for everything from where to eat in the area to the easiest and the most beautiful ways to get to Killarny - and there are several ways to get there from here.

She is a great cook and our breakfasts overlooking the beach with the waves rolling in are something that we will forever treasure.

We hope to visit again and again.

• Stayed March 2005
2 Thank catzcrazy
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed May 18, 2005

If you are staying in the south of Ireland and want a great experience stay at the Beachcove Bed & Breakfast. The house is clean and beautiful. The owners were wonderful to us and Bridie is a great cook. Try her brown bread - you will be spoiled. Beachcove sits across the road from a beautiful beach and the scenery is fantastic.

1 Thank Kinsley10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballinskelligs
Royal Valentia Hotel
#1 of 3 in Ballinskelligs
Skellig Ring House Hostel
Skellig Ring House Hostel
#1 of 2 in Portmagee

Been to Beach Cove B&B? Share your experiences!