“World Class”

$292.64*
and up
Ring of Kerry Private Tour from Killarney
More attraction details
Owner description: Skelligs Chocolate is a family run business overlooking the magnificent Skelligs Rocks, on the south west coast of Ireland. Our factory opened its doors in 1996, consisting of two little production rooms; one for making chocolate and the other for packaging. The factory has since expanded to a state of the art production facility with adjoining cafe which serves delicious hot chocolate, tea, coffee and homemade treats. With the only open plan chocolate production facility in Ireland, we encourage you to call in to see our chocolate being made, taste the delicious treats and ask the friendly staff all about where chocolate comes from and how it is made.
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We called here last Saturday afternoon, not having heard of this place until we saw a sign en route to Caherciveen. The building itself is new and first impressions were very good. We were treated to a tasting from a smiling young lady who clearly enjoys her job and couldnt have been more pleasant - even with kids she engaged with them so well and made them feel special. Staff with that level of customer skills are like gold dust! The setup there is fantastic, plenty of choccies to buy if you wish and no hard sell at all - the care that must go into the product design is evident even down to the puffin on a chocolate skellig rock! Spotless loos, spacious cafe, step up areas so kids can see whats happening, well laid out parking, informative detail on the wall displays....i could go on, it really is a world class retail setup coupled by passion for what they do. I am surprised i had never heard of it before - well done to all involved.

2  Thank Early-Bird-Ireland
Colm H, Owner at Skelligs Chocolate Co., responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Hi E.B. Ireland,
You are very generous with your review and on behalf of the staff especially the 'smiling young lady' and myself I would like to say it is very kind of you.

You are fortunate you were here before the madness of the summer holidays kicks in, it's (unfortunately) more of a scrum then to get to the tastings...

We have worked hard on all the areas you have mentioned and it is always a pleasure for me to pass on these positive comments, but equally important we dont get complacent.

We are making our chocolate here since 1996 and seem to fly just below the radar, but we are working hard on that at the moment.

We look forward to welcoming you to our home again soon.

Skelligs Chocolate

There are newer reviews for Skelligs Chocolate Co.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

To get to the Skelligs Chocolate Factory, we drove the Ring of Kerry's Skellig Ring, which is too narrow for the massive tour buses (bonus). Everything at the factory is handmade in small batches. They let us sample the chocolates endlessly with no pressure to buy. (Of course we bought copious amounts of chocolate -- it was the perfect gift for our families back home.) The sweets are ALL fresh and delicious.

We ended by sipping dark cinnamon hot cocoa made from the Skellig Factory's chocolate. This is all situated in the classic Irish setting -- green mountainsides, sheep grazing, fields divided by low stone walls. Also, the factory seems as yet undiscovered by droves of tourists (bonus).

The only suggestion I would make is that it would be nice to hear a bit of the history of the factory while sampling chocolates. Hands down, it was my favorite experience in Ireland.

Hi C S,
many thanks for taking the time to visit our little piece of heaven. We appreciate you taking the time to review us aswell.

You are very kind and generous with your praise - thanks.

We are very fortunate to be located in a stunningly scenic location and as I always like to say - you won't find the words ' industrial' and 'estate' in our address.

I am happy to say in the last week we have added a piece on the history of the factory to our ring of kerry wall map which gives some before the fire and after the fire information.

I am just wondering (on behalf of the staff) if it is possible to remove the images with staff members as they would prefer not to have them on Tripadvisor (or any social media platforms). I love the one of the old church beside us.

Many thanks,

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stopped in during a break on our Ring of Kerry day, and enjoyed the experience. Skellig's is a nice little chocolate stop right near the water that offers some delicious chocolates (gin and tonic chocolate, just go ahead and try it). They do free tastings, and I think we sampled everything they offered (before buying a lot of it!). The hot chocolate at the bar is delicious (the real stuff), and we really enjoyed sampling their chocolate!

One warning: a member of our party had some of the truffles in his carry-on, and one had been crushed slightly (spilling a slightly liquid interior). He was told at the Dublin airport that they were a liquid, and since they weren't in his checked bag they were confiscated (perhaps the guy just wanted a snack; as an American I'm happy to see that the TSA isn't alone in the world...). If you're traveling home with these, put them in your checked bag!

1  Thank njk82
Colm H, Owner at Skelligs Chocolate Co., responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Hi NJK82,
many thanks for your review - we appreciate you taking the time to visit us and then review.

I am glad you enjoyed your visit and that you had the opportunity to taste our in-house hot chocolate - a great favourite with all and that you availed of the free samples....

I am sorry one of your party had issues with the security at Dublin airport - it's the first time I have heard of them stopping our chocolates. But as you say maybe he 'had a snack'. Our truffles are all solid, except for some caramel / fudge fillings, so I am puzzled.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday and returned home safe and sound.

Owner,

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Came across this wonderful Chocolate experience during a drive round the Ring of Kerry.

The factory/shop/cafe was spotlessly clean. The staff were warm and welcoming also very knowledgeable and helpful about their products. No pressure to purchase was shown. I would recommend a visit to this place and of course to taste and enjoy the products.

1  Thank Hilary T
Colm H, Owner at Skelligs Chocolate Co., responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

HI Hilary,
I think you have covered everything I would want to include in any promotional material we use.
It is important to us that all visitors enjoy their experience here and I appreciate you mentioning there is no pressure to buy.

We work hard at getting the right combination of value for money, quality of product and friendliness at Skelligs Chocolate and it is great to show the staff that it is paying off.

Enjoy the rest of your trip to Ireland.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We visited here last weekend.excellent location beautiful views.the staff were so genuine and friendly.the chocolate was great.really nice..the cafe was excellent value.so refreshing to see honest prices and not to be ripped off for teas coffees etc .the desserts were also great value.the place is immaculate ,the loos were spotless,

Hi Lizafitz,
Many thanks for choosing Skelligs Chocolate to visit. I am very glad you were pleased with our place and the staff. It is also lovely to get such a positive review - I show the staff all the reviews and it really helps when they can see their hard work is appreciated.

All we have to do not is convert your 'really nice' on the chocolate to 'oh my God...'