“Excellent room,disappointing food”

and 1 more site!
Vaughans Anchor Inn
Ranked #3 of 9 Liscannor B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We recently stayed for a night in Vaughans. I chose this B&B above others in the area because we had been in the restaurant last June and loved the food. Firstly the positives- the room was large with a fabulous,comfortable queen size bed. The bathroom was bright and clean. The shower was
strong and hot water plentiful. The tea making facilities and wicker basket with water,nuts and home made cookies was a lovely touch.
Now for the negatives- when I called to book there was only one person on duty and she was manning the bar so she asked me to book online. I did this and it cost €5 per person more (€40 as opposed to €35). We ate in the restaurant in the evening. My daughter asked for plain chicken but we were told there were no chicken available,she asked for plain sausages but was served with herb sausage which were too strongly flavoured for her. I requested Cottage Pie. This was nicely presented on a small saucer but had no accompanying veg. The meat tasted nice but had the consistency of what I can only describe as silage ( for those non farmers among you this is wet grass that is fed to cattle in winter!) it was really offputting. Breakfast the next morning was not much more successful. My daughter wanted fruit- there was none. I asked for 1sausage and tomato, I was given a full irish. When I said I hadn't ordered it the waitress ,who I think might have been the cook said that the waitress who took my order forgot what I had asked for so she decided to give me everything! Felt like a scene from Father Ted:-).
Would I return? Probably not as there are many good restaurants/ B &Bs/ Hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Room 7 at end of corridor facing an untidy back yard but nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Vaughans Anchor Inn

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We loved the food in the bar. Some of the best of our trip. The claws were lovely. Breakfast was also great. The rooms were well appointed but above the kitchen so there was a problem with vibration and noise from the extractor. Bit like a washing machine on spin. But it was very good value for money and when we moved to another room (which was no problem) it wasn't quite as bad.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stunning location, friendly staff, excellent food. BUT - In summer, surely heating can be shut down so as not to roast in a room that can't have a window opened owing to outside exhaust fan noise, right outside.
Advertised WiFi unavailable, but in the Irish tradition, the pub next door would be OK!!
The Pub had icy cold Guinness, the restaurant, seafood oriented, was absolutely outstanding, and breakfast excellent.
Parking in the street outside the Hotel was fine.
A good visit spoilt.
Worth trying again though.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We were looking for a good fish meal but we were disappointed with the evening menu. There is too much mixing and matching which ends up limiting your choice. For example I would have loved a scallops dish but if I chose that dish I would have had to have pig aswell as that was the dish on offer and I would have loved to have the crab claws and crabmeat but that came with a creamy pasta. The fish of the day was battered and the lobster was gone so that left steak, venison or duck. For a fish restaurant I would expect the emphasis to be on fish and not the meats that they can mix in with the fish. I had the venison, it was good but after coming that distance I would have loved to have a pure fish dish as would the rest of our group.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ancreagan
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Really glad we only booked for one night as this was the worst place we stayed in during our 10 days in Ireland. As soon as we entered the bar the fish smell was overwhelming. Picked up our key and there was also a dirty carpet smell in the common living area aswell up the staircase. The rooms were average but the breakfast was very nice and the only good thing about the place. We walked a few doors down for dinner and the prices were alot cheaper than here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank headsie
Reviewed September 13, 2012

On a recent visit to Clare I was so looking forward to a meal in Vaughans - but I was very disappointed with my choice. I ordered Seafood Chowder - What I received was very tasty but with only one or two pieces of seafood in it - I did ask the waitress if she had brought me the Vegetable soup by mistake?
Roasted Monkish was not available so I choose Fish Pie - what a let down.It was dry,salty and definatky not freshly made on the day or indeed the day before!. The Potato topping was also not fresh. Receipt indicated that Vaughans was Pub of the Year 2006 - thats a long time ago, maybe its time your kitchen returned to the standard of that year. I have travelled many miles previously to eat in Vaughans and in the past recommended it to family and friends, but not anymore in fact it is the worst meal I have had in a restaurant for a very long time.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Golfer945
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Excellent quaint pub. Very welcoming Arrived late and still managed to feed us on local oysters, a wonderful seafood chowder and pints of Guiness. The room was very comfortable and so quiet. I loved the home made cookies with coffee in the room. Breakfast was really well cooked enhanced by fresh soda bread and homemade jams. Really recommend

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liscannor
Cliffs of Moher Hotel
#1 of 3 in Spanish Point
Bellbridge House Hotel
Bellbridge House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Spanish Point

Been to Vaughans Anchor Inn? Share your experiences!