All reviewsfishhomemade cookiessteakcrab clawschowdersmoked salmonthe pubblack puddingcreme bruleeate herebltreal pityexcellent restaurantexcellent seafoodwell worth a visitnice stayfew drinks
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We were looking for a good fish meal but we were disappointed with the evening menu. There is too much mixing and matching which ends up limiting your choice. For example I would have loved a scallops dish but if I chose that dish I would have had to have pig aswell as that was the dish on offer and I would have loved to have the crab claws and crabmeat but that came with a creamy pasta. The fish of the day was battered and the lobster was gone so that left steak, venison or duck. For a fish restaurant I would expect the emphasis to be on fish and not the meats that they can mix in with the fish. I had the venison, it was good but after coming that distance I would have loved to have a pure fish dish as would the rest of our group.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ancreagan
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Really glad we only booked for one night as this was the worst place we stayed in during our 10 days in Ireland. As soon as we entered the bar the fish smell was overwhelming. Picked up our key and there was also a dirty carpet smell in the common living area aswell up the staircase. The rooms were average but the breakfast was very nice and the only good thing about the place. We walked a few doors down for dinner and the prices were alot cheaper than here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank headsie
Reviewed September 13, 2012

On a recent visit to Clare I was so looking forward to a meal in Vaughans - but I was very disappointed with my choice. I ordered Seafood Chowder - What I received was very tasty but with only one or two pieces of seafood in it - I did ask the waitress if she had brought me the Vegetable soup by mistake?
Roasted Monkish was not available so I choose Fish Pie - what a let down.It was dry,salty and definatky not freshly made on the day or indeed the day before!. The Potato topping was also not fresh. Receipt indicated that Vaughans was Pub of the Year 2006 - thats a long time ago, maybe its time your kitchen returned to the standard of that year. I have travelled many miles previously to eat in Vaughans and in the past recommended it to family and friends, but not anymore in fact it is the worst meal I have had in a restaurant for a very long time.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Golfer945
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Excellent quaint pub. Very welcoming Arrived late and still managed to feed us on local oysters, a wonderful seafood chowder and pints of Guiness. The room was very comfortable and so quiet. I loved the home made cookies with coffee in the room. Breakfast was really well cooked enhanced by fresh soda bread and homemade jams. Really recommend

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I've done allot of travelling in the past 15yrs and one of my favorite places in Ireland is the west of Ireland in County Clare and nestled in the heart of Liscannor only a stone throw from Irelands Glorious Cliffs of Mohar is Vaughan Anchor Inn. I passed through a few years back and stopped here for dinner with friends and walked into a typical Irish traditional Bar, full of warmth and charactor, its the kind of place you could loose yourself in for hours. Staff and locals alike are friendly and forthcoming with chat and banter, But it was the food that just blew us away! Coming back through Clare again, the food stuck out in my mind and I just had to return. To my excitment I found that the pub now has a B&B and I decided to book in for a night with my husband. I expected basic lodging but to our surprise we found ourselves in this adorable boutique bedroom full of style and colour with all the comforts and luxuries of a hotel room and the restaurant once again did not disappoint. My husband sceptical of my ravings of the food went in with a judgemental mind but was pleasantly surprised at the menu selection from fresh from the ocean Seafood to Sirlion Steak, Porkbelly or Goose, the menu was incredible and the prices were so affordable! The food was presented like a work of Art! gourmet cooking at its best with all the taste and value to back it up. We actually took pictures of our dishes because they looked so amazing. I had a crab and beetroot starter, sounds unusual but it was basically crab and beetroot done in every way possible presented on a charcoal slate, but the shared medley of deserts is like nothing you've ever seen before, mini delights from chocolate cake to cheese cake to creme brulee and a trio of homemade ice-creams, I almost regreted eating all my dinner as I just couldnt get it all in. I asked the waitress about the vegetables with dinner which she told me were prodomiantly grown out the back of the restaurant by the chef himself which I thought was an nice organic touch. We went to lahich beach the following day, visied the cliffs and walked the seaside village, we ended up staying a 2nd night just to find a reason to go back in for another fabulous meal. This is a must see, its in a superb location, the B&B is nothing short of luxury and Restaurant & Pub are the best part! this may be a review but I would go an extra step further and whole heartedly recommend Vaughans as you will not be disappointed. In summer its picnic tables are a great way to enjoy lunch in the sun and in the winter the cozy open fireplace will make you wish you didnt have to leave. Thank you for a great weekend break and stay. We loved every minute of it and will most certainly be back!

The Pittmans

Room Tip: I viewed all the rooms on booking.com and there were all lovely and lived up to there pictures. Its a brand new development and the furniture and beds are stylish and comfortable! I dont think there was a bad room. There limited though.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple