All reviewsfishhomemade cookiessteakcrab clawschowdersmoked salmonthe pubblack puddingcreme bruleeate herebltreal pityexcellent restaurantexcellent seafoodwell worth a visitnice stayfew drinks
Reviewed September 13, 2012

On a recent visit to Clare I was so looking forward to a meal in Vaughans - but I was very disappointed with my choice. I ordered Seafood Chowder - What I received was very tasty but with only one or two pieces of seafood in it - I did ask the waitress if she had brought me the Vegetable soup by mistake?
Roasted Monkish was not available so I choose Fish Pie - what a let down.It was dry,salty and definatky not freshly made on the day or indeed the day before!. The Potato topping was also not fresh. Receipt indicated that Vaughans was Pub of the Year 2006 - thats a long time ago, maybe its time your kitchen returned to the standard of that year. I have travelled many miles previously to eat in Vaughans and in the past recommended it to family and friends, but not anymore in fact it is the worst meal I have had in a restaurant for a very long time.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Golfer945
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Excellent quaint pub. Very welcoming Arrived late and still managed to feed us on local oysters, a wonderful seafood chowder and pints of Guiness. The room was very comfortable and so quiet. I loved the home made cookies with coffee in the room. Breakfast was really well cooked enhanced by fresh soda bread and homemade jams. Really recommend

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I've done allot of travelling in the past 15yrs and one of my favorite places in Ireland is the west of Ireland in County Clare and nestled in the heart of Liscannor only a stone throw from Irelands Glorious Cliffs of Mohar is Vaughan Anchor Inn. I passed through a few years back and stopped here for dinner with friends and walked into a typical Irish traditional Bar, full of warmth and charactor, its the kind of place you could loose yourself in for hours. Staff and locals alike are friendly and forthcoming with chat and banter, But it was the food that just blew us away! Coming back through Clare again, the food stuck out in my mind and I just had to return. To my excitment I found that the pub now has a B&B and I decided to book in for a night with my husband. I expected basic lodging but to our surprise we found ourselves in this adorable boutique bedroom full of style and colour with all the comforts and luxuries of a hotel room and the restaurant once again did not disappoint. My husband sceptical of my ravings of the food went in with a judgemental mind but was pleasantly surprised at the menu selection from fresh from the ocean Seafood to Sirlion Steak, Porkbelly or Goose, the menu was incredible and the prices were so affordable! The food was presented like a work of Art! gourmet cooking at its best with all the taste and value to back it up. We actually took pictures of our dishes because they looked so amazing. I had a crab and beetroot starter, sounds unusual but it was basically crab and beetroot done in every way possible presented on a charcoal slate, but the shared medley of deserts is like nothing you've ever seen before, mini delights from chocolate cake to cheese cake to creme brulee and a trio of homemade ice-creams, I almost regreted eating all my dinner as I just couldnt get it all in. I asked the waitress about the vegetables with dinner which she told me were prodomiantly grown out the back of the restaurant by the chef himself which I thought was an nice organic touch. We went to lahich beach the following day, visied the cliffs and walked the seaside village, we ended up staying a 2nd night just to find a reason to go back in for another fabulous meal. This is a must see, its in a superb location, the B&B is nothing short of luxury and Restaurant & Pub are the best part! this may be a review but I would go an extra step further and whole heartedly recommend Vaughans as you will not be disappointed. In summer its picnic tables are a great way to enjoy lunch in the sun and in the winter the cozy open fireplace will make you wish you didnt have to leave. Thank you for a great weekend break and stay. We loved every minute of it and will most certainly be back!

The Pittmans

Room Tip: I viewed all the rooms on booking.com and there were all lovely and lived up to there pictures. Its a brand new development and the furniture and beds are stylish and comfortable! I dont think there was a bad room. There limited though.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2012

What a little gem. I'm so glad I stumbled across this place online, as an alternative to staying in Lahinch. And what can I say - Wow, we were blown away. The room was a little small but the lovely furniture and comfy bed made up for it. The cookies delivered to our room were a nice surprise. We couldn't get a booking for dinner on the first night but ate on our second night and it was worth the wait. The food is Michelin star level, in style, quality and presentation. The breakfast was also superb. All staff were very friendly and welcoming. Liscannor is also home to a cracking little pub called Egan's that is the perfect place for a night cap.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maureen B
Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in the Anchor last weekend and I loved it.The rooms were spotless and the decor was very tasteful.The staff were friendly and it was a nice touch that we were shown to our room.Homemade cookies,peanuts,bottles of water and ice were also provided in the room.

The evening meal was perfect.My friends had turbot and were highly impressed.I had rib-eye steak as a main course and it was mouth-watering.The potatoes and vegetables to accompany the meal were so fresh.In addition,the waitress could not have been friendlier.It was probably one of the best meals I have eaten in a long time.

However,if you are thinking of eating in the Anchor,it may a good idea to reserve a table in advance.The restaurant was really busy last weekend.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Anchor and would highly recommend it to anyone staying in the West Clare area.

• Stayed: July 2012