$93
$94
$116
$113
Hotels.com
Falls Hotel & Spa(Ennistymon)
$149
$110
B&B Southwind(Spanish Point)
$103
$115
Spanish Point House(Spanish Point)
$233
$227
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfishhomemade cookiessteakcrab clawschowderthe pubpork bellyblack puddingate herebltreal pityexcellent restaurantexcellent seafoodwell worth a visitfew drinksa real treatopen fire
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I've done allot of travelling in the past 15yrs and one of my favorite places in Ireland is the west of Ireland in County Clare and nestled in the heart of Liscannor only a stone throw from Irelands Glorious Cliffs of Mohar is Vaughan Anchor Inn. I passed through a few years back and stopped here for dinner with friends and walked into a typical Irish traditional Bar, full of warmth and charactor, its the kind of place you could loose yourself in for hours. Staff and locals alike are friendly and forthcoming with chat and banter, But it was the food that just blew us away! Coming back through Clare again, the food stuck out in my mind and I just had to return. To my excitment I found that the pub now has a B&B and I decided to book in for a night with my husband. I expected basic lodging but to our surprise we found ourselves in this adorable boutique bedroom full of style and colour with all the comforts and luxuries of a hotel room and the restaurant once again did not disappoint. My husband sceptical of my ravings of the food went in with a judgemental mind but was pleasantly surprised at the menu selection from fresh from the ocean Seafood to Sirlion Steak, Porkbelly or Goose, the menu was incredible and the prices were so affordable! The food was presented like a work of Art! gourmet cooking at its best with all the taste and value to back it up. We actually took pictures of our dishes because they looked so amazing. I had a crab and beetroot starter, sounds unusual but it was basically crab and beetroot done in every way possible presented on a charcoal slate, but the shared medley of deserts is like nothing you've ever seen before, mini delights from chocolate cake to cheese cake to creme brulee and a trio of homemade ice-creams, I almost regreted eating all my dinner as I just couldnt get it all in. I asked the waitress about the vegetables with dinner which she told me were prodomiantly grown out the back of the restaurant by the chef himself which I thought was an nice organic touch. We went to lahich beach the following day, visied the cliffs and walked the seaside village, we ended up staying a 2nd night just to find a reason to go back in for another fabulous meal. This is a must see, its in a superb location, the B&B is nothing short of luxury and Restaurant & Pub are the best part! this may be a review but I would go an extra step further and whole heartedly recommend Vaughans as you will not be disappointed. In summer its picnic tables are a great way to enjoy lunch in the sun and in the winter the cozy open fireplace will make you wish you didnt have to leave. Thank you for a great weekend break and stay. We loved every minute of it and will most certainly be back!

The Pittmans

Room Tip: I viewed all the rooms on booking.com and there were all lovely and lived up to there pictures. Its a brand new development and the furniture and beds are stylish and comfortable! I dont think there was a bad room. There limited though.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2012

What a little gem. I'm so glad I stumbled across this place online, as an alternative to staying in Lahinch. And what can I say - Wow, we were blown away. The room was a little small but the lovely furniture and comfy bed made up for it. The cookies delivered to our room were a nice surprise. We couldn't get a booking for dinner on the first night but ate on our second night and it was worth the wait. The food is Michelin star level, in style, quality and presentation. The breakfast was also superb. All staff were very friendly and welcoming. Liscannor is also home to a cracking little pub called Egan's that is the perfect place for a night cap.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Moejodo
Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in the Anchor last weekend and I loved it.The rooms were spotless and the decor was very tasteful.The staff were friendly and it was a nice touch that we were shown to our room.Homemade cookies,peanuts,bottles of water and ice were also provided in the room.

The evening meal was perfect.My friends had turbot and were highly impressed.I had rib-eye steak as a main course and it was mouth-watering.The potatoes and vegetables to accompany the meal were so fresh.In addition,the waitress could not have been friendlier.It was probably one of the best meals I have eaten in a long time.

However,if you are thinking of eating in the Anchor,it may a good idea to reserve a table in advance.The restaurant was really busy last weekend.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Anchor and would highly recommend it to anyone staying in the West Clare area.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Doireann13
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Had one night here at the end of June 2012 and have to say we all thought it was excellent. Full of character and based on a maritime theme, but traditionally Irish where there was a little shop section at the front of the pub. The rooms (6 & 7) were immaculate, spacious and well equipped with nice comfortable beds. The real bonus was the food; the evening meals which included the fish platter and turbot, were absolutely excellent. The breakfast was outstanding and the lady of the house was very warm, chatty and friendly.
I do note some of the comments about the owner, and he was a bit dour initially, but after engaging him in conversation he was fine, just could do with cracking a smile now and then.
Overall this was a great place to stay and eat and I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Evening meals are only served 6-9pm so factor that into your booking.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank GuisboroughBill
Reviewed June 24, 2012

After reading the reviews on trip advisors my husband and I decided to book Vaughan inn for a two night break. We arrived to the guest house at about 3pm, we had to go into the bar to get the keys for our room, we were greeted by the manager who was unwelcoming to say the least. He then ordered a young waitress to bring us to our room. The young lady was very quiet and when leaving us she asked did we want to book a table in the restaurant that night. When we said we hadn't decided what we were doing she became pushy.

The room itself was beautifully designed. There was a king sized bed and a single bed. The beds were extremely comfy. Better than most hotels. They also added a nic touch when we opened our bedroom door they had left a basket there with two bottles of water, coffee/teas, a large pack of nuts/seeds, and a large jar of home-made cookies(that were to die for)..

We ate in the restaurant that evening. The restaurant/ lounge bar had a decor from the late 70's/80's.. It was nicely done. Very clean. The food in the restaurant was amazing. I had seafood platter and my husband had lamb. The meal was superb. Wine beautiful. Again the service did not match. Waitress was very rude.

On our fist morning there we went down for breakfast, again we had to go throughj the lounge into the restaurant, once again the manager was there and again was extremely rude. We had a traditional Irish breakfast which was nice. The service was a bit better, it seemed to be the owners wife. She was nice and engaged in small banter.

Again that evening when we went back to our room, it was turned down and cleaned. Also another basket of goodies had been left.
That night we ate elsewhere but came back to the lounge to have a few drinks. Again the service was somewhat poor.

On our final morning we went down for breakfast which was again from a menu of about 4 choices- we chose the Irish breakfast. This morning the breakfast was reheated. The food was leathery. The coffee was cold and very strong. It was absolutely made earlier and left to sit. The service this morning was the worse, the waitress was very rude and abrupt. She seemed to want us to hurry up.

Upon leaving the guest house we went back into the lounge to pay fr our stay. We met with the owner. He was very rude, had no manners, he did not ask us how our stay was, where we went, general chit chat.. It was very uncomfortable. He never thanked us or asked us to call again etc etc...

I have to say our overall experience was ok, the guest house was very nice,food was great but the service has let them down. I will not go back to Vaughan or recommend it to a friend for this very reason.

• Stayed: June 2012