“Great hospitality; feeling at home”
Review of Carrig House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Liscannor
Carrig House
Ranked #5 of 9 Liscannor B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We had a very warm welcome by the hosts, Maurice and Shirley, so we felt comfortable and at home at once. The room we had was clean, large and bright like the other ones, just the bathroom was very small, but we managed. Our hosts were very accommodating, looking after us charmingly. Maurice has a lot of useful local informations and trip advices and loves to share them with his guests; we had a fantastic and huge irish breakfast, the largest selection ever, everything tasted delicious. It's really a lovely place to stay, highly recommended, we felt happy and welcome here and will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 1, 2012

We had a warm welcome as well as a delicious and really excellent breakfast. We stayed in one of the lovely furnished rooms and enjoyed our stay from the first minute in Liscannor. The guest house is locaded above the meanstreet and the rooms are very quiet. The harbour/beach as well as the restaurants and the pub of Liscannor are approx. 300 metres away from the guest house; the Cliffs of Moher a few minutes by car. Thank you very much to Maurice and Shirely Glennon!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Matthias und An... W
Reviewed April 10, 2012

A group of friends and I stayed at Carrig House to see the Cliffs of Moher. We absolutely loved our experience. Carrig House is comfortable and cozy, and Maurice and Shirley are absolutely lovely. Shirley made us a delicious and elaborate breakfast and Maurice told us the best way to hike up to the Cliffs so that we could see way more than the visitor's center offered. I wouldn't stay anywhere else! Great value!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Everytime we leave Carrig House, we are already planning our return trip. My boyfriend and I have stayed with Maurice and Shirley several times in recent years, and have only recently returned home from a wonderful January break that, as always, exceeded expectations.

Every encounter at Carrig House is always perfect; each guest is treated like a new friend, and I defy you to find a better breakfast in this country; Shirley is an exceptional hostess and her fresh breakfasts with such variety are fit for a king and presented so beautifully; you'll think that you are in a Michelin star restaurant.

You will feel instantly at home in this place, and whether you are from Ireland or further afieldm should you know anyone with Irish roots, I bet Maurice will either know them or a distant relative!

Rooms are spotless, comfortable and equipped with everything you could possibly need for your break away. No request is too much at Carrig House as your hosts will go above and beyond standard service to ensure that your experience is as enjoyable as possible.

An excellent locatio; you are only a stone's through away from the wonderful pubs and restaurant in Liscannor and it is an ideal location to tour this beautiful part of the country. Their knowledge; both local and beyond is highly useful and you will never be at a loss.

My boyfriend and I are priviliged that we have had the opportunity to stay here so many times and we look forward to many more trips in the future. Although I have travelled all over the world, for service, location and sheer experience, it's hard to beat Carrig House - we promise that you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jenniferskane
Reviewed September 29, 2011

The radio ads would have you believe the highest bar in Ireland is pub somewhere in the hills north of Dublin. That's not true at all. The highest bar in Ireland is the one being set by Maurice and Shirley Glennon in the little village of Liscannor just south of the Cliffs of Moher.

There must have been something in the tripadvisor reviews that made me choose Carrig House first. I spend a lot of time trying to understand the great mysteries of people's tastes and standards in their various reviews. Carrig House is not at the very top of the list for Liscannor B & Bs.

I don't let things like that bother me and neither should you. I'm widely traveled in Ireland, and have spent a fair amount of time in B & Bs. I've talked to many B & B owners. I know that some of them rise to the top of the list not only because they offer good service and facilities, but also because they make a request to their guests to post a review. Many other B & B owners are uncomfortable doing so.

Folks like Shirley and Maurice rely on word of mouth advertising. That's what nets this wonderful and very-together couple the raft of guests who return to them year after year. That's what will have me going back, too.

Carrig House isn't what I'd call high-style, but it's very definitely home-style. The décor is warm, inviting, and reflects the wonderful personalities and humor of its owners. Until this last stay at Carrig House, I'd never met anyone quite like Shirley and Maurice (By the way, you can call him Moreees with a fancy French flourish, but he, Shirley, and their friends call him Morris).

Maurice is the front man – he'll greet you at the door with a friendly hello, his great smile, and a quick bit of history about Liscannor's connection to NYC's Holland Tunnel (but I'll let Maurice tell you the story. . .). Maurice is a man who appreciates – and has himself – a great sense of humor.

Shirley is the master organizer behind their homey operation.

Shirley keeps a clean and spotless home. She and Maurice are also amazing because they 'get it'. There's an attention to detail at Carrig House that I find rare and remarkable in B & Bs. There are hair dryers in the rooms. There are outlets near the mirrors. There are good reading lights over the beds with their wall switches within easy reach. If you need power adapters, just ask. The towels are fluffy, comfy, and color coordinated. Maurice and Shirley understand 'kosher' for their orthodox guests. They have a room with adaptive gear for their less mobile guests. Wifi is available – accessible in the bedrooms for people like me. Fantastic! There's so much more that I've probably forgotten.

Good Irish B & Bs all serve great breakfasts, but nothing, and I mean nothing I've experienced has ever come close to those served by Maurice and Shirley. Shirley went to catering college -- and she probably should have gone to art school too. Her breakfasts are superb works of art. Rhubarb sauce and freshly picked blackberries are just a couple of the fruits I enjoyed during my September stay. There's porridge every morning or the traditional Irish breakfast. Eggs or cheese on toast artfully embellished with strips of green and red pepper, twists of cucumber, cherry tomatoes, and more – including a sprig of parsley standing upright in your eggs – majestically silhouetted against the wide view of field out the breakfast window. As Maurice likes to point out, that sprig of parsley is only tree standing between you and the States. Shirley's breads are absolutely gorgeous. And then, just as you think you couldn't eat another bite, there's more: savories like homemade salsa or pickled beets which were brought over by one of Maurice and Shirley's many friends.

I guess that's the thing that sells me the most. It's how much this couple is loved in Liscannor. If you're lucky, you'll get to meet one of the cast of wonderfuls that show up in their kitchen – people like Father Dennis or the cute older gentleman who delivers the bundles of rushes he picks for Maurice and Shirley. The couple spend a lot of their free time turning the rushes into St. Bridget's Crosses (her well is nearby and makes a fascinating visit). Proceeds from the sale of the crosses go to fund milk cows for Father Dennis's mission in Africa (but there's no hard sell here . . .).

Then there are repeat guests like Polly and Nora – two Irish women who are keen to dance, and who insisted I accompany them to Lisdoonvarna, which is just up the road and where we danced up a storm – two steps and waltzes and more. They've been coming to Carrig House for so long, they're like part of the family. They even brought Maurice a birthday cake to celebrate his special day.

Liscannor is a small, quiet village, and a great base for touring west County Clare with its amazing and ancient ruins, and of course the fabulous Burren. There's a very nice, just-upscale-enough restaurant at Logue's Liscannor Bay Hotel. There are other restaurants in Liscannor as well.

Doolin is no more than 15 minutes or so down the road. Lahinch is no more than five. That's a fun town too – notable for its surf and for its golf course (just be sure you let the famous Lahinch goats play through. They have the right-of-way). Good restaurants, too.

At the boarding gate for my trip home, I talked to a woman from the States. I asked how she enjoyed her trip. I gathered that she and her friends had stayed in at least two or three different B & Bs. Which one did she mention by name? Carrig House. In Liscannor. Maurice and Shirley's place -- a notable B & B and a very exceptional couple. I think you'll really enjoy your stay here . . .

Room Tip: If you need a room with a bigger bathroom, just ask. Carrig House has them. Nice heat in all the roo...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
8  Thank TravelGuidesForWomen
Reviewed August 6, 2011

The Carraig House epitomizes the perfect B&B experience – a warm and welcoming atmosphere with great service and comfortable rooms. Maurice welcomed us into his home with open arms and a genuine smile. Although the bathrooms are small, the bright, open rooms definitely make up for this slight downfall. Also, each room has a spectacular view of either the River Shannon or the Cliffs of Moher. The Carraig House is close to a small village with nice restaurants and a beautiful beach. Our hosts were very accommodating and definitely kid-friendly – our children played with the dogs, enjoyed playing swing-ball and football on the ample lawn, and watched the goats, ponies, and cattle nearby. However, the highlight of our stay was unarguably the breakfast! There was a large selection and everything we ordered tasted delicious and was presented beautifully. Maurice came by multiple times to make sure everything was going smoothly and share some of his interesting local knowledge. He then organized an once-in-a-lifetime pony trekking experience through an amazing trail that was abundant with breath-taking views and blossoming wildlife. We had an unforgettable and very personal experience in Carraig House that was shaped by hospitable hosts, a wonderful breakfast, and a superb location. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: If you are obese, think twice about getting a room here as the bathrooms are quite small.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank irishtraveler00
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Our family stayed here 2 nights on a recent trip, and the accommodations were excellent and our hosts gracious. They serve the best breakfast we had in Ireland, and Shirley kept bringing out extra dishes even as we were full to bursting, while Maurice regaled us with details about the local area. The rooms were impeccably clean and homey, and the sitting room was a great place to rally our troops before heading off the our day trips. All this at a very reasonable price. I highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family